Mysterious reference by Phil Liggett

Old July 15th 03, 02:26 PM
John Dean

Default Mysterious reference by Phil Liggett

Brian Phillips wrote:
In the coverage of today's stage, Phil Liggett stated, "You don't win
a stage without Hugh Jefferts in the Tour de France".

Okay, who's Hugh Jefferts?

His cousin Hugh Jampton works in the Factory that pads out the front of
cycling shorts.
--
John Dean
Oxford

Old July 15th 03, 10:21 PM
Tim Lines

Brian Phillips wrote:
In the coverage of today's stage, Phil Liggett stated, "You don't win a
stage without Hugh Jefferts in the Tour de France".

Okay, who's Hugh Jefferts?

Reminds me of the Masters race I was at this past weekend. Everywhere I
looked, there was Hugh Jass. He won the race too, 'cause there's no
getting around Hugh Jass, they say.

Strange race in other ways too. There was a woman in the race. She was
REALLY old, must of been in her seventies. She was so wrinkled, even
her lycra had stretch marks. Apparently going senile too. As I was
walking past her after the race, she spit out some tobacco juice, smiled
at me through crooked, yellowing teeth and said, "Phil McCracken!!!"

"No," I said, "you've got the wrong guy."

This seemed to anger her, but she was persistent. "Aw, C'mon!" She
said. "Phil McCracken!"

I didn't know what to say, so I just shook my head and walked away.
Later I learned the proper way to handle it. I saw the old lady walk up
to Hugh Jass and say "Phil McCracken!!!". Hugh just smiled, took the
old lady by the arm, and walked away with her. Awful sweet of Hugh to
pretend to be Phil and walk an old woman home. What class!

Old July 15th 03, 10:43 PM
Al Sondgeroth

"John Dean" wrote in message ...
Brian Phillips wrote:
In the coverage of today's stage, Phil Liggett stated, "You don't win
a stage without Hugh Jefferts in the Tour de France".

Okay, who's Hugh Jefferts?

His cousin Hugh Jampton works in the Factory that pads out the front of
cycling shorts.

Don't forget the other lost cousin, Hugh Jass who tested the pads in
the shorts but was never much of a rider.

Al
Old July 15th 03, 11:04 PM
Steve McGinty

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:09:14 -0700, "BDW"
wrote:

"Al Sondgeroth" wrote in message
. com...
"John Dean" wrote in message

Brian Phillips wrote:
In the coverage of today's stage, Phil Liggett stated, "You don't win
a stage without Hugh Jefferts in the Tour de France".

Okay, who's Hugh Jefferts?

His cousin Hugh Jampton works in the Factory that pads out the front of
cycling shorts.

Don't forget the other lost cousin, Hugh Jass who tested the pads in
the shorts but was never much of a rider.

Al

...or Hugh Jorgan. He use to have to wear his cycling shorts backward.
-BDW

...or Wee Shughy Douglas...

....sorry, that's a different punchline.

("What do you call a man with a dog-lead and size-five feet?)

Regards!
Stephen

Old July 16th 03, 05:59 AM
David Ryan

Tim Lines wrote:

Brian Phillips wrote:
[...]

Musta been looking for one of her domestiques.