Directions Peeves: Just me?

Old January 25th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Directions Peeves: Just me?

"The Wogster" wrote in message
.. .
Edward Dolan wrote:
"The Wogster" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Granted UNIX and Linux are generally much more stable than Windows.
But, I do think you're exagerating the crash prone-ness of Windows a
touch. With XP, it generally stays up for a week or two before it
really needs a reboot. And it generally doesn't blue screen at random
nearly as much. [2] It's almost workable. [3]

I have never even heard of anyone who bothered with Linux (What is
UNIX?). Microsoft Windows XP is a blooming miracle. I do not want to type
in instructions or mess with the keyboard much (except for emails and
messages to Usenet) or do any other kind of nonsense. I simply want to
point and click my mouse and be done with it. It is my understanding that
Bill Gates made it possible for me to do this, so more power to him as
far as I am concerned.

The point and click interface, Bill G stole from Apple, who had stolen it
from the Palo Alto Research Center owned by Xerox, often in the biz called
Xerox Parc or sometimes simply Parc. Of course Unix has had major user
friendliness upgrades in recent years, on of the most interesting is Mac
OS-X which has BSD Unix at it's heart, not far behind are KDE and Gnome.

It doesn't matter to me in the slightest who stole from who. All that counts
is the one who brought it to market in an affordable fashion. That would be
Bill Gates of Microsoft, would it not?

I suppose it's a sufficient OS for playing games and fiddling with
trivial documents and what-not. Which is 95% of what everyone uses
computers for anyway.

I use my computer for music (and some pictures too) but I do not regard
it as a replacement for my stereo sound system. I never play games on the
computer, not even solitaire even though I am a hermit. I surf all over
the world on the Internet with the miraculous Internet Explorer (IE) and
get hundreds of viruses and thousands of spyware items each and every
month. It is always an adventure to see if any of it is going to take my
computer down.

Ah Internet Exploder, basically it's a piece of crap, that only became
popular because it came with Windows. Personally my computer uses Firefox
for the browser, and is hiding behind a firewall, with a full time virus
checker running.

Yes, I use Firefox too, but I still like IE. It is so damn familiar which
counts for a lot with me. I hate to learn anything new.

When it gets totally messed up I take it into the computer shop for
repairs and it costs me about a hundred dollars each and every time. I
think that is the main expense of having a computer.

I have used, every version of windows since 3.0, and the naming actually
makes sense, see the handy guide below.

3.0 number of lines of bug free code.
3.1 number of lines of bug free code.
95 amount of time required between reboots, in seconds.
98 amount of time required between reboots, in seconds.
ME Mostly Erronious
NT Not Tested
2000 Monthly cost of machine maintenance, per computer
2003 Monthly cost of machine maintenance, per computer
XP eXtra Pathetic.

The only OS I know is XP. It seems to work pretty good for me, except
when it freezes up and won't do anything at all. The greatest thing about
Windows is the wonderful Outlook Express. Why anyone would get any other
mail server or newsreader is beyond me. It is my understanding that some
folks even pay good money for a newsreader service which seems crazy to
me.

A computer should never freeze up, the firewall box under my desk runs
Smoothwall, and has been running continuously for almost 3 years, in that
time it has rebooted twice, due to the DSL box needing a reset. Most big
iron computers, like the banks use, for their main processing, use either
MVS, VM or Unix, MVS and VM machines get rebooted twice a year, when the
time changes (they need a restart to set the time), others and most Unix
machines use UTC time, and run for years without getting a reboot.

Good Grief. I am constantly turning my computer on and off. It seems that it
has to reboot or it won't do anything at all. Most of the time I have to
pull the plug from the wall as it won't turn off by itself.

I use Thunderbird as a mail/news reader, works very well, as for the
service, it comes from my ISP.

I believe that is a free one that you get via Firefox. So you do not pay for
a news reader either.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 25th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Edward Dolan wrote:

It doesn't matter to me in the slightest who stole from who. All that counts
is the one who brought it to market in an affordable fashion. That would be
Bill Gates of Microsoft, would it not?

Ah yes, sure, but it's the little details that matter. Specifically,
how did he accomplish that?

I hate to learn anything new.

Oops, say no more :-)

Cheers,

--
Jan Bielawski

Old January 26th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

gotbent wrote:
"Johnny Sunset" wrote in message
ps.com...

JanPB wrote:
This is my first post to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent - I'm thinking of
getting the Velotechnik Speedmachine sometime (hopefully) soon. Any
obvious things to watch out for?

The optional "T" bars make it harder to get on and off the
Speedmachine, but the "C" bars are horrendously ugly.

Beauty is in the eye of something or other, but with the C bars, you don't
get that stupid praying hamster pale patch of skin between your bicep and
forarm. I admit that the bend should be reconsidered for the C bar so there
is more clearence room for a muscular gastrocnemious, but it certainly
isn't ugly.

The only types of C-bars that do not look too bad are ones like those
on Scooter's Velokraft NoCom [1]. The worst are the excessively wide
bars used on Bacchetta's and some other highracers - they look like
something off an oversize beach cruiser.

[1] Bottom bike at
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/nocom/Triple_NoComs.jpg.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 26th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Johnny Sunset wrote:

The only types of C-bars that do not look too bad are ones like those
on Scooter's Velokraft NoCom [1]. The worst are the excessively wide
bars used on Bacchetta's and some other highracers - they look like
something off an oversize beach cruiser.

[1] Bottom bike at
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/nocom/Triple_NoComs.jpg.

These are the ugliest bikes (and I am Polish too!). I've seen a NoCom
at Bentupcycles in LA last weekend (a great place) but you'd have to
pay me to take it home (on top of whatever I'd be able to sell it for
on eBay - where it would end up immediately, buyer pays the shipping
:-) )

I guess for me the speed thing only goes so far...

--
Jan Bielawski

Old January 26th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"JanPB" wrote in message
ups.com...
Johnny Sunset wrote:

The only types of C-bars that do not look too bad are ones like those
on Scooter's Velokraft NoCom [1]. The worst are the excessively wide
bars used on Bacchetta's and some other highracers - they look like
something off an oversize beach cruiser.

Sorry Johnny, I'm not convinced. I think that hamster bars have a very high
DORK factor, unless the brake levers are parallel to the stem, then they're
cool.

[1] Bottom bike at
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/nocom/Triple_NoComs.jpg.

These are the ugliest bikes (and I am Polish too!). I've seen a NoCom
at Bentupcycles in LA last weekend (a great place) but you'd have to
pay me to take it home (on top of whatever I'd be able to sell it for
on eBay - where it would end up immediately, buyer pays the shipping
:-) )

I guess for me the speed thing only goes so far...

--
Jan Bielawski

Not everyone deserves a NoCom, Jan!

Old January 26th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

gotbent wrote:
"JanPB" wrote in message
ups.com...
Johnny Sunset wrote:

[1] Bottom bike at
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/nocom/Triple_NoComs.jpg.

These are the ugliest bikes (and I am Polish too!).

Not everyone deserves a NoCom, Jan!

Exactly! Hahahaha!

--
Jan Bielawski