Commuting / New Bike Question

Old March 31st 15, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

Default Commuting / New Bike Question

On 30/03/2015 20:07, Tosspot wrote:

I use a similar bike. It has been fine, but my previous similar Trek
only lasted 4 years before its frame broke (rear chain stay) due to the
pounding it got.

Yes, but not many people commute over the Pennines. Wtf did you do to it?

London roads, potholes, high pressure tyres. I've always figured it is
safer to ride through rather than try to avoid potholes. I didn't impact
damage the wheels so nothing I was doing was that severe.

Old March 31st 15, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 07:27:34 -0700, voyager1space wrote:

Thanks all.

My commute at the moment is 12 miles so not too bad.

I think using a "clunker" might be best.

"Clunkers" are also usually fairly rugged. Not brittle like carbon bikes.
Old March 31st 15, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

On 31/03/15 09:20, Nick wrote:
On 30/03/2015 20:07, Tosspot wrote:

I use a similar bike. It has been fine, but my previous similar Trek
only lasted 4 years before its frame broke (rear chain stay) due to the
pounding it got.

Yes, but not many people commute over the Pennines. Wtf did you do to
it?

London roads, potholes, high pressure tyres. I've always figured it is
safer to ride through rather than try to avoid potholes. I didn't impact
damage the wheels so nothing I was doing was that severe.

Not a great advert for Trek welding then.

Old March 31st 15, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 31/03/2015 18:25, Tosspot wrote:
On 31/03/15 09:20, Nick wrote:
On 30/03/2015 20:07, Tosspot wrote:

I use a similar bike. It has been fine, but my previous similar Trek
only lasted 4 years before its frame broke (rear chain stay) due to the
pounding it got.

Yes, but not many people commute over the Pennines. Wtf did you do to
it?

London roads, potholes, high pressure tyres. I've always figured it is
safer to ride through rather than try to avoid potholes. I didn't impact
damage the wheels so nothing I was doing was that severe.

Not a great advert for Trek welding then.

It wasn't a weld it was the actual chain stay, close to the seat post
but not the weld. Aluminium tube failure.

That's why my current bike is a Specialized not a Trek.

Old March 31st 15, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

On 31/03/15 09:20, Nick wrote:
On 30/03/2015 20:07, Tosspot wrote:

I use a similar bike. It has been fine, but my previous similar Trek
only lasted 4 years before its frame broke (rear chain stay) due to
the
pounding it got.

Yes, but not many people commute over the Pennines. Wtf did you do to
it?

London roads, potholes, high pressure tyres. I've always figured it is
safer to ride through rather than try to avoid potholes. I didn't impact
damage the wheels so nothing I was doing was that severe.

Not a great advert for Trek welding then.

It wasn't a weld it was the actual chain stay, close to the seat post
but not the weld. Aluminium tube failure.

Blimey.

That's why my current bike is a Specialized not a Trek.

I must say, I like me steel touring frames, currently three Surlies.

Old April 1st 15, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 19:52:15 +0200, Tosspot wrote:
On 31/03/15 19:50, Nick wrote:

It wasn't a weld it was the actual chain stay, close to the seat
post but not the weld. Aluminium tube failure.

Blimey.

That's why my current bike is a Specialized not a Trek.

I must say, I like me steel touring frames, currently three Surlies.

The only frame failure I've had was on a steel framed early-1990s
Dawes Galaxy.

It was about 4 years old. The head tube detached from the down tube.
I noticed it when I got on the bike and saw the front wheel roll
forwards while the rest of the frame was stationary.

It was replaced by Dawes, but was a whole lot more aggro than it
should have been - it was clearly and obviously defective, there was
no crash damage or any abuse. It took Dawes an age to agree to
replace the frame, and then another age to actually supply the
replacement.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old April 1st 15, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

On 31/03/15 19:50, Nick wrote:

It wasn't a weld it was the actual chain stay, close to the seat
post but not the weld. Aluminium tube failure.

Blimey.

That's why my current bike is a Specialized not a Trek.

I must say, I like me steel touring frames, currently three Surlies.

The only frame failure I've had was on a steel framed early-1990s
Dawes Galaxy.

It was about 4 years old. The head tube detached from the down tube.
I noticed it when I got on the bike and saw the front wheel roll
forwards while the rest of the frame was stationary.

It was replaced by Dawes, but was a whole lot more aggro than it
should have been - it was clearly and obviously defective, there was
no crash damage or any abuse. It took Dawes an age to agree to
replace the frame, and then another age to actually supply the
replacement.

The firm was a dog's breakfast around that time, passing between venture
capitalists. Settling warranty claims would have been pretty far down
their list of priorities I'd expect.

--
Cheers, Rob

Buying a bike mostly for commuting [email protected] UK 3 December 31st 14 09:24 AM
SM+ question: 700x35c -or- 700x38c for Chicago year round commuting? Jay[_2_] Techniques 36 April 5th 08 09:23 PM
Commuting by bike Gavin Watkinson UK 20 June 16th 06 03:20 PM
Commuting Question [email protected] General 38 May 25th 06 01:55 AM
A bad bike commuting day dgk General 23 January 27th 05 01:52 AM