V-brake balancing screws.

Old March 30th 15, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default V-brake balancing screws.

On 3/30/2015 3:24 PM, James wrote:
On 31/03/15 01:47, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I'm in the "almost any tool should do it" camp. Same as the guys who
put in the slotted philips screw heads.

It occurs to me, I've never carried a Torx driver in my tool pouches.
I'd be ticked off if _anything_ on my bike absolutely required one.

So many parts already absolutely require hex keys, I don't know how
you're not already ticked off!

Oh, I like hex keys. Self-centering, light, small in one's tool pack, no
tiny bits to lose in the gravel, adequately strong, and practically free.

Really, the primary advantage of Torx over hex is for mass production
assembly. If you're screwing in a few million fasteners using automated
screwdrivers, Torx bits last considerably longer, so production doesn't
have to stop while maintenance changes driver bits.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 30th 15, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 30/03/2015 19:15, Ian Field wrote:

"Clive George" wrote in message
On 30/03/2015 18:38, Ian Field wrote:

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 30/03/2015 17:58, Ian Field wrote:

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
On 3/29/2015 2:39 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 14:27:50 -0500, AMuzi
wrote:

No reason not to. 4mm allen cap screws might be nice and
they are readily available. Nothing will break or slip with
the screws out.

If there's room, you might look into adding a plastic knob onto the
cap screw:
http://www.shear-loc.com/knobs.htm

But think of the air resistance!

More seriously, brakes don't have to be adjusted very often. It's
reasonable to require a tool for that operation.

Brake blocks wear rapidly while the slotted bit of the contact face
remains.

The v-brake balancing screw isn't there to compensate for brake wear.

Maybe you could point out the bit where I said it did!

Ok, why is your statement above "Break blocks wear rapidly" relevant
to the preceding statement.

Someone said these sort of things don't need adjusting very often.

And V-brake balance doesn't - it doesn't need adjusting for brake block
wear. Cable adjusters which take no tools are what is used to compensate
for that.
Old March 30th 15, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 30/03/2015 20:27, Frank Krygowski wrote:

The minor irritation for me is if I'm putting my bike into the back of
our hatchback. It should be just: 1) Open brake quick release 2) Open
wheel quick release 3) Remove wheel with left hand while holding bike
with right hand 4) toss into car. But with lawyer lips, there's 2B)
Find a way to keep the bike upright while bending down to unscrew the QR
nut.

Bike standing up. Flip lever open. Bike still leaning on axle. Unscrew
QR. Now lift bike up and remove front wheel in the same motion.

It's not the lawyer lips which get in the way on the tandem, it's the
front rack - I need to remove the QR to get the wheel past it easily :-)

Old March 31st 15, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 15:34:24 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/30/2015 1:24 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Ummm... right:
http://news.toolbox.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/massive-multi-tool.jpg

Oops. No Torx driver!

The driver socket it there, which will accept the usual assortment of
driver bits including Torx. Where to store the bits is left to the
discretion and imagination of the user.

Many multiplex tools are just conglomerations of dissimilar and
incompatible tools. For example, the smartphone bicycle tool kit:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/iphone-toolkit-use-your-iphone-to-fix-your-bike-and-cut-your-steak
http://www.thetasklab.com
If you watch the video at the top of the page, it shows the tool and
phone used to pound on a picture frame hanger. I'm not sure if the
smartphone manufactory will honor the warranty after phone fails while
performing a bicycle repair[1].

Personally, I would prefer a multi-tool where the individual tools
were individually removable and could be used individually or in
concert. That also makes it easier to replace or exchange individual
tools.

Long ago, I had the idea of making a switch blade screwdriver. The
mechanism was similar to a switch blade, except instead of a blade,
there would be an arm with a driver bit socket at the end. I managed
to build a prototype, but soon discovered that the magnetic force was
insufficient to prevent the device from becoming a driver bit
catapult. A version where the driver bits were brazed to the "blade"
worked somewhat better. Shelved, pending further inspiration.

[1] Any tool can be used as a hammer.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 31st 15, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Király

AMuzi wrote:
I hope that was humor and not that your Ideal World looks
like North Korea.

If North Koreans could only have such freedoms - bicycles are banned
there. At least for women riders.

http://www.rjkoehler.com/2013/01/16/north-korea-bans-women-from-riding-bikes-again/

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old March 31st 15, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/31/2015 8:20 AM, Király wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
I hope that was humor and not that your Ideal World looks
like North Korea.

If North Koreans could only have such freedoms - bicycles are banned
there. At least for women riders.

http://www.rjkoehler.com/2013/01/16/north-korea-bans-women-from-riding-bikes-again/

At minimum. All the rest of PRK is worse. I found this moving:

http://www.alibris.com/Nothing-to-En...70?matches=104

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 31st 15, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/31/2015 9:20 AM, Király wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
I hope that was humor and not that your Ideal World looks
like North Korea.

If North Koreans could only have such freedoms - bicycles are banned
there. At least for women riders.

http://www.rjkoehler.com/2013/01/16/north-korea-bans-women-from-riding-bikes-again/

In an ideal world, bicycles would not be forbidden. They would be
mandatory.

Andrew: Enjoy.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 31st 15, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

AMuzi wrote:
I hope that was humor and not that your Ideal World looks
like North Korea.

If North Koreans could only have such freedoms - bicycles
are banned
there. At least for women riders.

http://www.rjkoehler.com/2013/01/16/north-korea-bans-women-from-riding-bikes-again/

In an ideal world, bicycles would not be forbidden. They
would be mandatory.

Andrew: Enjoy.

Last weekend there was an LA story about transportation
featuring some poor SOB who "has to ride his bicycle 2-1/2
miles to work and then back every day"

Dream job, I'd say. YMMV.

Old March 31st 15, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote:

[...]

Maybe because my bike is old - the calliper screws seem to need adjusting
fairly often, if I don't attend to it promptly it can cause uneven wear on
the blocks. The 2 adjustments seem slightly interactive, especially with new
blocks that wear rapidly till the grooves are gone.

Usually the balance screws can be OK for weeks, even months - but every so
often I find one block dragging and when I correct that it soon goes over to
the other side, The see-saw adjustments can go on for a couple of days
before it settles down.

Old March 31st 15, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

eyehahhahah...that's ehat ? I did a valve job on food stamps

self-balancing unicycle John Doe Unicycling 1 July 27th 11 09:44 AM
Balancing martin.phillips Unicycling 10 May 26th 06 11:08 PM
self balancing unicycle! nick Unicycling 12 April 28th 04 04:33 PM
Balancing wheels andrew Australia 13 February 27th 04 07:56 AM
Balancing logic (or something like that)... andrew_carter Unicycling 8 September 15th 03 11:15 PM