Commuting / New Bike Question

Old March 30th 15, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Commuting / New Bike Question

Hi,

just got a Specialized Allez Sport that I'm picking up today.

Firstly, do you use a "nice" bike for commuting?

Secondly and this might sound a bit silly but is having a RED bike an issue.

I'm talking about theft mostly.

Cheers,
Ed.
Old March 30th 15, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 01:17:23 -0700, voyager1space wrote:

Hi,

just got a Specialized Allez Sport that I'm picking up today.

Firstly, do you use a "nice" bike for commuting?

Secondly and this might sound a bit silly but is having a RED bike an
issue.

I'm talking about theft mostly.

Cheers,
Ed.

I do not use a "nice" bike for commuting. I use a well-maintained
clunker. It is very comfortable, not much slower than a "nice" bike and
much less prone to theft. I'd still secure it somewhere, though.
Having a RED bike may make you more visible on the road. That has to be
a plus.
Old March 30th 15, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_4_]

wrote:

Hi,

just got a Specialized Allez Sport that I'm picking up today.

Firstly, do you use a "nice" bike for commuting?

Secondly and this might sound a bit silly but is having a RED bike an issue.

I'm talking about theft mostly.

Cheers,
Ed.

I don't as such but plenty do.

rather depends on your commute? mine is short distance though a Royal
Park so it's a fairly gritty ride, that chews though chains in no time
etc.

But friends have longer faster commutes where a nice road bike makes
more sence.

I'd be more worried about secure parking.

Roger merriman
Old March 30th 15, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Thanks all.

My commute at the moment is 12 miles so not too bad.

I think using a "clunker" might be best.

Old March 31st 15, 02:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

On 30/03/2015 09:41, Peter Keller wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 01:17:23 -0700, voyager1space wrote:

Hi,

just got a Specialized Allez Sport that I'm picking up today.

Firstly, do you use a "nice" bike for commuting?

Secondly and this might sound a bit silly but is having a RED bike an
issue.

I'm talking about theft mostly.

Cheers,
Ed.

I do not use a "nice" bike for commuting. I use a well-maintained
clunker. It is very comfortable, not much slower than a "nice" bike and
much less prone to theft. I'd still secure it somewhere, though.
Having a RED bike may make you more visible on the road. That has to be
a plus.

More or less me too. I bought a mid-range 80s mountain bike, no
suspension, and it's done me well. I've left it overnight in a fairly
high risk area plenty of times if called for an impromptu after-work drink.

--
Cheers, Rob

Buying a bike mostly for commuting [email protected] UK 3 December 31st 14 10:24 AM
SM+ question: 700x35c -or- 700x38c for Chicago year round commuting? Jay[_2_] Techniques 36 April 5th 08 09:23 PM
Commuting by bike Gavin Watkinson UK 20 June 16th 06 03:20 PM
Commuting Question [email protected] General 38 May 25th 06 01:55 AM
A bad bike commuting day dgk General 23 January 27th 05 02:52 AM