Stoopid ocky strap

Old July 4th 05, 11:02 AM
DaveB

Default Stoopid ocky strap

Decided to do a service on my rear MTB wheel on the weekend because
although it seemed fairly true, it was definitely rubbing against the
pads in a bit of a pattern, and making some strange noises from the hub
at speed. Pulled out the axle to find a mass of thin white elastic
strips all through the bearings. Then I remembered that a month or so
ago I had an ocky strap get caught up in the rear wheel and destroy the
strap. Somehow the ocky strap pieces had managed to work their way into
the axle and bearings. I also noticed a bit of pitting damage to one of
the cones but decided to ignore that because I needed the bike to get to
work. Cleaned all the crap out, re-greased it all and then spent a while
truing the wheel and getting the brake pads lined up nicely. Then went
for a test ride. Didn't get 2 metres when I hear rubbing against the
pads. Bugger! Got off and realised there seemed to be some kind of
movement in the hub. Figured I hadn't tightened the cup and cone enough.
Of comes the wheel, go through the motions, put it all back together,
and do another test ride. Same thing again. BUGGER! Wheel off, much
swearing, everything seems ok. I hold the wheel by each side of the
axle, give it a spin, and then I notice it. The bloody axle is bent, so
when I spin one side of the axle the other side spins in an ellipse
shape. Now I know why there was damage to the cone, that damned ocky
strap did a lot more than just slow me down. So looks like it will be
single speed and backpack for me tomorrow, and hopefully the boys at
Peter Moore can sort me out with a new axle.

DaveB
Old July 4th 05, 05:57 PM
DD

DaveB wrote:
[...]

This could be a classic 'chicken or the egg' problem. The bent axle
caused vibration, the occy strap thereafter came loose, self-destructed
in the wheel. Or did the occy do it? I don't see how (forgive my lack of
imagination tonight).
Old July 5th 05, 10:44 AM
Gags

"DaveB" wrote in message
u...
[...]

I might have a spare axle laying around that you can have for nothing Dave
(came in that bulk lot that I got from ebay). I will check out in the shed
tonight when I take my battery off charge....

I assume that it is a quick release type??

Gags

Old July 5th 05, 10:50 AM
DaveB

Gags wrote:

I might have a spare axle laying around that you can have for nothing Dave
(came in that bulk lot that I got from ebay). I will check out in the shed
tonight when I take my battery off charge....

I assume that it is a quick release type??

Gags

It's alright, picked one up on the way home for $8 (much cheaper than
the whole wheel I thought I might have to buy).

DaveB