What does the S mean (Brooks saddles)

Old November 16th 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim D

Default What does the S mean (Brooks saddles)

What does the "S" mean in Brooks saddle model numbers? I thought it
indicated a lady's model, but now I see people advertising "
'Men's Brooks Flyer S' or 'Men's Brooks B66 S' etc.

Since I ride in an fairly upright position nearly all of the time, I'm
thinking of buying one of the wider, sprung Brooks saddles. But "S" or
not "S"... that is now the question...

The other question is: single rail or twin rail. My bike has a
traditional type seat post. It would probably makes sense to buy a
micro-adjust seat post and get a Brooks saddle with single rails, do
you agree? Then it'll weigh a lot less and have notchless saddle angle
adjustment, yes?

Thank you...

Jim D
Old November 16th 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Jim D wrote:
What does the "S" mean in Brooks saddle model numbers? I thought it
indicated a lady's model, but now I see people advertising "
'Men's Brooks Flyer S' or 'Men's Brooks B66 S' etc.

They are indeed supposed to be lady's models. "S" for short.

Since I ride in an fairly upright position nearly all of the time, I'm
thinking of buying one of the wider, sprung Brooks saddles. But "S" or
not "S"... that is now the question...

Also "Champion" or not "Champion". B66 Champion is narrower than B66, for
example.

Then "Professional"... extra hard. Or "Special"... 'specially expensive.

Ultimately... "Real Man"... www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

The other question is: single rail or twin rail. My bike has a
traditional type seat post. It would probably makes sense to buy a
micro-adjust seat post and get a Brooks saddle with single rails, do
you agree? Then it'll weigh a lot less and have notchless saddle angle
adjustment, yes?

A single rail will make life easier and may save some weight, but a twin
rail can be used on a modern micro-adjust seat with one of these adapters:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0...addles-830.htm

or http://tinyurl.com/tsjj9

Most of so-called micro-adjust seatposts aren't notchless though. They just
have smaller notches than the old fashion type. Look for a seatpost with
two bolts for true stepless adjustment.

~PB

Old November 16th 06, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Correction: I meant "seatpost" instead of just "seat" here

Old November 17th 06, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Pete Biggs said the following on 16/11/2006 23:28:

Ultimately... "Real Man"... www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

I wonder how many "real men" tried to buy that saddle :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old November 17th 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim H

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:11:14 +0000, Paul Boyd
usenet.dont.work@plusnet wrote:

Ultimately... "Real Man"... www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

lol :-) ... there certainly seems to be a lot of "S" version saddles
floating around (on eBay and such) and not so many "non-S" versions. I
wonder why that is.

Are the "S" saddles actually unsuitable for men, or is it just an
aesthetic issue (that men feel stupid, sporting a woman's saddle)?
Would a man find an "S" saddle less comfortable or less practical for
male use in any way?

Jim D

Old November 17th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Jim H wrote:
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:11:14 +0000, Paul Boyd
usenet.dont.work@plusnet wrote:

Ultimately... "Real Man"... www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

lol :-) ... there certainly seems to be a lot of "S" version saddles
floating around (on eBay and such) and not so many "non-S" versions. I
wonder why that is.

Are the "S" saddles actually unsuitable for men, or is it just an
aesthetic issue (that men feel stupid, sporting a woman's saddle)?
Would a man find an "S" saddle less comfortable or less practical for
male use in any way?

The only practical way to find out if you get on with a a saddle is to
ride on it - in the case of a new leather saddle it could take a few
hundred miles to break in properly. There's no sense choosing a saddle
just by width and length, because the shape and resilience are also
important factors. However - when you're riding hard do you slide
forward to the nose of the saddle much? If so you may find that a
shorter saddle restricts your style, otherwise it will probably be fine.
I think the women's saddles were originally made shorter so it was
easier to ride in a skirt.
Old November 17th 06, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim D

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 23:28:38 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

A single rail will make life easier and may save some weight, but a twin
rail can be used on a modern micro-adjust seat with one of these adapters:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0...addles-830.htm

That's good to know, thanks. Apart from the weight, is there any other
advantage/disadvantage in the twin rail version? I vaguely recall
hearing someone mention something, but I may be wrong. Perhaps one is
stronger or something...

Apart from eBay, can anyone recommend a good-value supplier for a
Brooks B66, online?

Thanks...

Jim D

Old November 17th 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim D

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:12:38 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

However - when you're riding hard do you slide
forward to the nose of the saddle much?

I've never noticed that effect.

If so you may find that a
shorter saddle restricts your style, otherwise it will probably be fine.
I think the women's saddles were originally made shorter so it was
easier to ride in a skirt.

The other thing may be to do with the way that women stop. They
typically hop down into the space between the saddle and the
handlebars. Brooks & Co. probably assumes that most women wouldn't be
happy with a 10" saddle horn poking them from behind...

Jim D

Old November 17th 06, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Jim D said the following on 17/11/2006 13:26:

I've never noticed that effect.

I had, but never really thought much about it. I probably would if I
had a shorter saddle!

The other thing may be to do with the way that women stop. They
typically hop down into the space between the saddle and the
handlebars. Brooks & Co. probably assumes that most women wouldn't be
happy with a 10" saddle horn poking them from behind...

I'm pretty sure that most men wouldn't be happy with a 10" saddle horn
poking them from behind either :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old November 17th 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Rob Morley wrote:

The only practical way to find out if you get on with a a saddle is to
ride on it - in the case of a new leather saddle it could take a few
hundred miles to break in properly.

IME of Brooks saddles (I currently own and use 3 on different bikes)
they will communicate a basic "rightness" (or not!) straight out of the
box. The basic shape needs to be right to start with, so breaking in
takes it from good to better rather than from agony to tolerable. The
latter just isn't worth it, the former is not a problem.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

FS: Brooks Pro saddles [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 23rd 05 05:12 PM
Brooks saddles Bryan UK 5 August 5th 04 09:16 PM
Brooks saddles Keith Willoughby UK 35 April 16th 04 10:14 AM
FS: Brooks saddles Michael Szpir Marketplace 3 October 11th 03 10:03 PM
Brooks saddles Graham UK 28 October 6th 03 12:02 PM