OT Stoopid Drivers

Old April 28th 07, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default OT Stoopid Drivers

I don't often drive, but there are occasions when it's a convienient
means of transport.

I drove to Ikea today to buy a bed frame. In order to avoid the rush
I arrived at 8.45, 15 minutes before opening time, so I had time to
kill before the doors opened. I sat and watched fellow shoppers as
they parked.

I was pondering whether the driver of a black Mazda RX-8 was really
disabled as he went into the disabled bay closest to the entrance
door, and feeling smug that I'd bagged the (non-disabled) parking spot
closest to the shop exit. I then heard a satisfying crunch. The
driver had gone straight into a concrete bollard. And Oh what joy and
poetic justice as a perfectly healthy (physically at least) man
emerged from the deformed vehicle. A titter grew from my fellow
shoppers during our grandstand view of the hapless driver's clear
discontent at the sight of the damage.

"I bet you wish you hadn't used a disabled bay!" yelled one amused
shopper.

"Perhaps you should rely on common sense instead of sat. nav." cried
another wag.

"Are you going to report the damage... to the bollard?" asked a
third.

I bet he didn't.
Old April 28th 07, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Tom Crispin wrote on 28/04/2007 19:11 +0100:

And Oh what joy and
poetic justice as a perfectly healthy (physically at least) man
emerged from the deformed vehicle.

It's a common misconception that a disabled person has to show physical
signs to be disabled (and be too poor to own a relatively expensive
car). He may or may not have been disabled but it is a shame the mob
made their usual presumptions.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell
Old April 28th 07, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Hearns

Tony Raven wrote:

It's a common misconception that a disabled person has to show physical
signs to be disabled (and be too poor to own a relatively expensive
car). He may or may not have been disabled but it is a shame the mob
made their usual presumptions.

Indeed. But this git deserved all he got.
Old April 28th 07, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ziggy

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 20:29:16 +0100, John Hearns
wrote:

Tony Raven wrote:

It's a common misconception that a disabled person has to show physical
signs to be disabled (and be too poor to own a relatively expensive
car). He may or may not have been disabled but it is a shame the mob
made their usual presumptions.

Indeed. But this git deserved all he got.

Sorry, but how can you know?

It would be nice to think it was an able bodied person snaffling a
disabled bay but as Tony points out, you just can't tell.

If he had, for example, heart failure, he would look fine until he
exerted himself enough to bring on symptoms.

Old April 28th 07, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

John Hearns wrote on 28/04/2007 20:29 +0100:
Tony Raven wrote:

It's a common misconception that a disabled person has to show
physical signs to be disabled (and be too poor to own a relatively
expensive car). He may or may not have been disabled but it is a
shame the mob made their usual presumptions.

Indeed. But this git deserved all he got.

What did he deserve and why?

Old April 28th 07, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Josey

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message

I drove to Ikea today to buy a bed frame.

I believe threy can be strange sizes from Ikea.

Jc

Old April 28th 07, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Tony Raven wrote:

It's a common misconception that a disabled person has to show
physical signs to be disabled (and be too poor to own a relatively
expensive car). He may or may not have been disabled but it is a
shame the mob made their usual presumptions.

Indeed. But this git deserved all he got.

What did he deserve and why?

He deserved to be laughed at for a particularly stupid prang. OK, it
wouldn't be so funny if it was a kid on a bike he drove into, but the
fact that it was a bollard and that no one was hurt meant that it was
amusing. And rough justice that he did it while parking in a bay
reserved for people with particular needs.
Old April 28th 07, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

Tony Raven wrote:
Tom Crispin wrote on 28/04/2007 19:11 +0100:

And Oh what joy and
poetic justice as a perfectly healthy (physically at least) man
emerged from the deformed vehicle.

It's a common misconception that a disabled person has to show physical
signs to be disabled (and be too poor to own a relatively expensive
car). He may or may not have been disabled but it is a shame the mob
made their usual presumptions.

Making fun of someone's crass inability to drive is, in my book, fair game.

On my way home on Friday, I was overtaken by an RX8 with the driver
hooting and gesticulating. 100 yards later, it joined a long traffic
jam for the lights.

I rode past the jam, and the lights were Green when I arrived at the
junction.

Some phases of the lights, and about a mile and a half later, the same
car overtook again, the driver still hooting and gesticulating.

Is a year old RX8 worth more than my 11 year old Dawes Sterling?

the floyd bashers should be feeling REAL STOOPID about now... Burt Racing 30 February 28th 07 01:21 AM
Some drivers! Mbike UK 24 January 15th 06 10:30 PM
Stoopid ocky strap DaveB Australia 3 July 5th 05 10:50 AM
is this a completely stoopid idea? audrey UK 30 March 4th 05 10:58 AM
Stoopid competition question of the week Tony Raven UK 21 January 30th 05 09:53 PM