What is the biggest cause of road accidents in the UK?

Old December 3rd 19, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Nick Finnigan

Default What is the biggest cause of road accidents in the UK?

On 02/12/2019 20:25, Bod wrote:
On 02/12/2019 20:19, JNugent wrote:
On 02/12/2019 20:15, Bod wrote:

The most common cause of accidents is to driver error. Over 100,000
(108,479) crashes occured in the UK due to cars suddenly braking,
drivers failing to look properly, poor car maneuvering and/or loss of
control.2 Jul 2018

That total is not correct.

How interesting.

What does it have to do with cycling?

Cyclists cause a fraction of that amount of accidents

The figure given probably includes about 3% which are cyclist error
rather than driver error.
Old December 3rd 19, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Nightjar

On 02/12/2019 20:15, Bod wrote:

The most common cause of accidents is to driver error. Over 100,000
(108,479) crashes occured in the UK due to cars suddenly braking,
drivers failing to look properly, poor car maneuvering and/or loss
of control.2 Jul 2018

Â*That total is not correct.

Government figures show a total of 84,968 RTCs reported to the Police in
2018, of which driver/rider error accounted for 57.162. The overall
total, including minor non-reportable collisions, will be higher, but
any other figure can, at best, be an estimate.

How interesting.

What does it have to do with cycling?

Â*
Â* Cyclists cause a fraction of that amount of accidents

Â*The figure given probably includes about 3% which are cyclist error
rather than driver error.

There is only one category of contributory factor that specifically
mentions cyclist action, which is cyclist entering road from pavement.
That caused 684 RTCs, of which 8 were fatal (probably for the cyclist).

--
Colin Bignell
Old December 3rd 19, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
TMS320

On 03/12/2019 12:36, NY wrote:
"TMS320" wrote in message
On 03/12/2019 09:28, NY wrote:

The problem we have is of finger pointing at cyclists by drivers that
have over inflated ideas about their driving ability.

I think the biggest problem is the impunity of cyclists: because they
don't have number-plates, they cannot easily be traced and reported for
occasions when they do break laws which would see a motorist prosecuted.
in other words, resentment rather than concern about safety.

Doubtful. Drivers get away with quite an amount.

Laws have more purpose than to make a place look pretty. If road law
can't be enforced 100%, it has to be applied to get most benefit.

As a driver, I hope I make a better cyclist because I can sympathise
with the needs of cars to overtake a much slower vehicle. As a cyclist,
I hope I make a better driver.

Good. A person with current road cycling experience almost certainly
makes a better all round driver.

Old December 3rd 19, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 03/12/2019 13:44, JNugent wrote:
On 03/12/2019 12:30, TMS320 wrote:
On 03/12/2019 12:06, JNugent wrote:

But accidents befalling motor vehicles on the highway (and which
cause injury or damage( have to be reported to the police and so may be

Damage does not have to be reported...

That depends on the circumstances... so you are not correct in what you
say.

Then there must be a definition of what kind of non-injury damage must
to be reported...

accounted for in official statistics,

...so is not counted.

....and official statistics should be available.
Old December 3rd 19, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 03/12/2019 13:46, JNugent wrote:
On 03/12/2019 13:34, TMS320 wrote:
On 03/12/2019 12:38, JNugent wrote:
On 03/12/2019 12:08, TMS320 wrote:

However, the main argument (on u.r.c) is about certain drivers
claiming that cyclists are evil pedestrian killers. The main
culprit x-posted this.

Only *some* cyclists are "evil pedestrian killers".

It's usually only cyclists (who don't ride fixies) that backpedal.

"Evil pedestrian killers" is, of course, *your* phrase and
certainly not mine. But it is a very telling one and I am
grateful for your coinage of it.

I don't claim you said it and will take the credit, if that is what
you want. But I will maintain that it is a summary of you stand
for.

I do indeed stand four-square for the rights of pedestrians on
footways and in pedestrian-only zones.

Drivers can't physically get to all the places that cyclists can reach
and cyclists can't physically do all the things that drivers can do.

You always set very narrow limits such as "a driver never does [whatever
a cyclist is supposedly doing wrong]". Well actually, sometimes they do.
And worse. And produce serious outcomes for mistakes and incompetence.

But you don't, do you?

Speaking as a pedestrian, cyclists are not a big deal. There is no need
to treat laws as binary constructs.

Old December 3rd 19, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Nick Finnigan

On 02/12/2019 20:15, Bod wrote:

The most common cause of accidents is to driver error. Over 100,000
(108,479) crashes occured in the UK due to cars suddenly braking,
drivers failing to look properly, poor car maneuvering and/or loss of
control.2 Jul 2018

Â*Â*That total is not correct.

Government figures show a total of 84,968 RTCs reported to the Police in
2018, of which driver/rider error accounted for 57.162. The overall total,
including minor non-reportable collisions, will be higher, but any other
figure can, at best, be an estimate.

How interesting.

What does it have to do with cycling?
Â*
Â* Cyclists cause a fraction of that amount of accidents

Â*Â*The figure given probably includes about 3% which are cyclist error
rather than driver error.

There is only one category of contributory factor that specifically
mentions cyclist action, which is cyclist entering road from pavement. That
caused 684 RTCs, of which 8 were fatal (probably for the cyclist).

and there may be a split of other contributory factors by road user type.

Old December 3rd 19, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 8:38:48 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

Speaking as a pedestrian, cyclists are not a big deal. There is no need
to treat laws as binary constructs.

As someone who now lives in the countryside, cyclists are great as we can share single track roads, whereas cars are so big now that we have to walk on the muddy verges if they go by and wash our dirty shoes when we get home.
Old December 4th 19, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/12/2019 20:38, TMS320 wrote:
On 03/12/2019 13:46, JNugent wrote:
On 03/12/2019 13:34, TMS320 wrote:
On 03/12/2019 12:38, JNugent wrote:
On 03/12/2019 12:08, TMS320 wrote:

However, the main argument (on u.r.c) is about certain drivers
Â*claiming that cyclists are evil pedestrian killers. The main
culprit x-posted this.

Only *some* cyclists are "evil pedestrian killers".

It's usually only cyclists (who don't ride fixies) that backpedal.

"Evil pedestrian killers" is, of course, *your* phrase and
certainly not mine. But it is a very telling one and I am
grateful for your coinage of it.

I don't claim you said it and will take the credit, if that is what
Â*you want. But I will maintain that it is a summary of you stand
for.

I do indeed stand four-square for the rights of pedestrians on
footways and in pedestrian-only zones.

Drivers can't physically get to all the places that cyclists can reach
and cyclists can't physically do all the things that drivers can do.

So what?

The law about what either group may do is not unclear because of it.

You always set very narrow limits such as "a driver never does [whatever
a cyclist is supposedly doing wrong]". Well actually, sometimes they do.
And worse. And produce serious outcomes for mistakes and incompetence.

But you don't, do you?

Speaking as a pedestrian, cyclists are not a big deal. There is no need
to treat laws as binary constructs.

Thank you for (at last) admitting that you do not care for the rights,
safety and welfare of pedestrians in any situation where those things
are in conflict with the whims and desires of law-breaking chavs on bikes.

Old December 4th 19, 01:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 03/12/2019 23:40, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I told you below. Your difficulty with reading and comprehension is long
established.

The law about what either group may do is not unclear because of it.
You always set very narrow limits such as "a driver never does

[whatever a cyclist is supposedly doing wrong]". Well actually,
sometimes they do. And worse. And produce serious outcomes for
mistakes and incompetence.
But you don't, do you?

Speaking as a pedestrian, cyclists are not a big deal. There is no
need to treat laws as binary constructs.

Thank you for (at last) admitting that you do not care for the
rights, safety and welfare of pedestrians in any situation where
those things are in conflict with the whims and desires of
law-breaking chavs on bikes.

Ah yes, the old "a cyclist can't possibly speak as pedestrian". You're
just sitting in your little world and have no idea what happens in the
big world outside.
Old December 4th 19, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 04/12/2019 00:05, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

ohh.... a bad-tempered little rantette from you there. You didn't even
try to address the flaw in the issue you raised, which I had pointed out
(and I will remind you):

"The law about what either group may do is not unclear because of it".

I wonder why you felt unable to come up with a "clever" answer to that?

You always set very narrow limits such as "a driver never does
[whatever a cyclist is supposedly doing wrong]". Well actually,
sometimes they do. And worse. And produce serious outcomes for
mistakes and incompetence.

But you don't, do you?

Speaking as a pedestrian, cyclists are not a big deal. There is no
need to treat laws as binary constructs.

Thank you for (at last) admitting that you do not care for the
rights, safety and welfare of pedestrians in any situation where
those things are in conflict with the whims and desires of
law-breaking chavs on bikes.

Ah yes, the old "a cyclist can't possibly speak as pedestrian". You're
just sitting in your little world and have no idea what happens in the
big world outside.

Too late. You've just admitted that as far as you are concerned, the
rights (real or imaginary) and desires of chavs on bikes are paramount.