Do Recumbents Crash More Than Regular Bikes?

Old September 9th 05, 11:23 AM
Jeff Grippe

Default Do Recumbents Crash More Than Regular Bikes?

I am overweight (250 lbs, probably a little less back when I owned the
Vision) but the bike shop owner knew this when he sold me the bike. I am one
of those people who is in the "fat but fit" category. This means that when I
buy a piece of athletic equipment, it actually gets used.

I had concerns about the Vision seat from day one but the shop told me that
it would not be a problem. I had dealt with them before so I trusted them.
For the first year it wasn't a problem. The seat coming undone happened in
year 2. I can only conclude that the only way that seat will work for
heavier riders is if they don't actually ride much.

Vision did finally send me a version of the seat that didn't depend on
Velcro to stay on the frame but by that time I had already lost confidence
in the bike and was looking to sell it.

Jeff
"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
I never crashed my Infinity. I still wonder why I didn't hang on to that
bike.

All of my crashes (2) were on the Vision. One was clearly my fault (I
piloted the thing into a railroad tie at about 20 MPH). The other I blame

on
the Vision. I never liked the seat held together with velcro. The person

who
sold it to me assured me that he sold them to heavier riders and they had

no
problem. Maybe the heavier riders didn't actually ride much. My seat came
undone while I was doing about 20 MPH (I detect a pattern here. Visions

tend
to crash when you are going 20 MPH).

Jeff

I never had a problem with my Vision crashing above 20 and unless you are
grossly overweight (?) the velcro seat will stay on

Old September 9th 05, 12:20 PM
Mark Leuck

[...]

I was 260 when I bought my Vision and had no problems with the seat