Which cantilever brakes?

Old August 31st 03, 12:07 AM
chris French

Default Which cantilever brakes?

My trusty old ( at least 20 years) tourer (a much modified Claud butler
Dasleman - as is the way with bikes) is looking rather the worse for
wear - mostly just knackered paint work, though the top tube has a nasty
dent.

I'm considering a winter refurbishment, sending it off to be repainted
(probably by Bob Jacksons in Leeds). It's still running the Weinmann
centre pull brakes, which are ok but not brilliant. , so I thought I'd
consider getting suitable bits brazed on and sticking on some
cantilevers (nothing like keeping up with modern advances in cycle
technology).

Question is what to go for, any recommendations? (doesn't have to be
new, I'm happy to, look around for old or second-hand stuff if it's
worth it) Though I don't get to do a much heavily loaded touring at the
mo' that is the potential use I'm looking at.

I did consider a new bike of frame, but , firstly I can't afford it
right now, and secondly I'm plotting the eventual acquisition of a
rather more laid back style of bike :-)) - though I've been doing that
for many years :-(
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old August 31st 03, 12:43 AM
Simonb

chris French wrote:

Question is what to go for, any recommendations?

Avid Shortys are good canti's. Not *too* expensive and they stop you.

Simonb

Old August 31st 03, 07:55 AM
mark

"Simonb" sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk wrote in message
. ..
chris French wrote:

Question is what to go for, any recommendations?

Avid Shortys are good canti's. Not *too* expensive and they stop you.

Simonb

Avids are indeed nice. Not only do they stop you, they are easy to set up
and offer good clearance for racks, panniers, and heels.
--
mark

Old August 31st 03, 09:06 AM
M Series

On my old(1987) MTB I had a Deore Cantis which were better than any of the
Cantis fitted to my mates newer MTBs. They also locked the wheel in
comparable times to their V-brakes. The Deores were significantly wider than
more modern V-brakes, don't know if this makes any difference. I had Mavic
rims and Aztec blocks. Might be an idea to keep the bike 'in period' by
fitting old kit.

Co-incidentally I have been considering taking my tourer to Bob Jacksons for
a refurb.

Old August 31st 03, 09:24 AM
chris French

In message , M Series
writes
On my old(1987) MTB I had a Deore Cantis which were better than any of the
Cantis fitted to my mates newer MTBs. They also locked the wheel in
comparable times to their V-brakes. The Deores were significantly wider than
more modern V-brakes, don't know if this makes any difference.

The shape of the cantis does indeed make a difference. Earlier canti's
were 'wider' - the top arms were at more of an angle and stuck out more.
as time went on, they became more 'upright' - these were termed low
profile - eventually ending up as 'V' brakes I guess. These were ok on
MTB's but weren't so good on dropped bar bikes as they suffered froma
similar problem of 'V ' brakes in the amount of cable travel needed.

Might be an idea to keep the bike 'in period' by
fitting old kit.

Nah, not bothered about that, I like havng decent brakes, indexed gears
etc. :-)
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old August 31st 03, 09:26 AM
chris French

In message . net, mark
writes

chris French wrote:

Question is what to go for, any recommendations?

Avid Shortys are good canti's. Not *too* expensive and they stop you.

Simonb

Avids are indeed nice. Not only do they stop you, they are easy to set up
and offer good clearance for racks, panniers, and heels.

Do these work all right with drop bar levers?
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old August 31st 03, 09:33 AM
Peter B

"M Series" wrote in message
The Deores were significantly wider than
more modern V-brakes, don't know if this makes any difference.

Probably the move to "low profile" cantis reduced their effectiveness.

Pete

Old August 31st 03, 03:11 PM
mark

"chris French" wrote
Do these work all right with drop bar levers?
--
Chris French, Leeds

Mine work well with Dia Compe 287 levers (road levers designed for cantis,
don't know if they're still in production), don't know about other levers. I
don't think they require the large amounts of cable pull that V-brakes
require.
--
mark

Old August 31st 03, 04:28 PM
Ems

[...]

I also upgraded (my 20 year old Galaxy) with Avid Shorty brakes, and I was
amazed at the improved braking.

I have them working with Shimano Ultegra levers (non STi) on drop bars - no
problems. I am very pleased with the setup and I would recommend it to you.
Good luck

Emyr

Old August 31st 03, 04:53 PM
chris French

In message , "Just zis Guy,
you know?" writes
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 00:07:55 +0100, chris French
wrote:

My trusty old ( at least 20 years) tourer (a much modified Claud butler
Dasleman

I have a 1985 Super Dalesman :-)

I thought so.

I'm not sure of the exact age. I got it from a friend of mine in 1988 or
89. He had it before he went to uni so that would make it at least 1983.

Do you actually tour on it?

Yes. Well TBH, I haven't really done any for the last few years since we
had a sprog but before that it had been used for a number of camping
tours as well a weekend hostelling trips etc. The most it's had recently
has been the odd day ride though.

Dual-pivot sidepulls might fit without
modification (or might not). Cantis are good, though.

I did consider that, I thought about getting another tourer better
suited to heavily loaded stuff and then using this for a 'Audax' type
machine. but I don't expect to be doing much heavily loaded stuff for a
while anyway. The frame really does need a seeing to, so now is the
time to upgrade it.

When to comes to spending on other bikes there are other things in the
frame. A tandem would be good, and I want to have a play on the Dark
side. not that there is really money around for either just at the
moment. I have been perusing the Dutch Speedbike' s website about their
'kit' again though. Maybe I'll just keep an eye open for a suitable
donor - just in case..... :-)
--
Chris French, Leeds