landrider

Old May 25th 04, 08:03 PM
Filmboard

Default landrider

\"El Paisano\ wrote:
Sorry for being unclear. I paid $70 for my Olympus Stylus Epic (no zoom)
point-and-shoot film camera. Is there another camera at that price-point
that would be superior? I ask this question because most of the people
reading this group could point you to a superior bike for the same
amount you paid for the Landrider.
Matthew

Nope. Have no recommendation for a better camera in that price range
you've done great, because you stuck to film in that low-end range. An
I'm sure you don't have a better recommendation for the bike that
bought from Sears in that price range (which is a true pile of junk
Look back in this thread, though. Do you see anyone coming forward wit
a single recommendation. Don't try to alter my point, which I reiterate
in the prior message. I think this group is negatively over-reactiv
about a bike for it sounds to me they have no personal knowledge. No on
offered a suggestion for a better bike. But there were criticisms tha
it comes in only one frame size, which is not true. There wer
criticisms about the weight, which I've found plenty of other bikes tha
weigh the same or more as mine. I'm happy with my Landrider, it gets m
out; I've admitted I may have been able to do better, but I can affor
it, so what's the big deal

-

Old May 26th 04, 03:03 AM
Bernie

Filmboard wrote:

\"El Paisano\ wrote:
Sorry for being unclear. I paid $70 for my Olympus Stylus Epic (no zoom)
point-and-shoot film camera. Is there another camera at that price-point
that would be superior? I ask this question because most of the people
reading this group could point you to a superior bike for the same
amount you paid for the Landrider.
Matthew

Nope. Have no recommendation for a better camera in that price range;
you've done great, because you stuck to film in that low-end range. And
I'm sure you don't have a better recommendation for the bike that I
bought from Sears in that price range (which is a true pile of junk.
Look back in this thread, though. Do you see anyone coming forward with
a single recommendation. Don't try to alter my point, which I reiterated
in the prior message. I think this group is negatively over-reactive
about a bike for it sounds to me they have no personal knowledge. No one
offered a suggestion for a better bike. But there were criticisms that
it comes in only one frame size, which is not true. There were
criticisms about the weight, which I've found plenty of other bikes that
weigh the same or more as mine. I'm happy with my Landrider, it gets me
out; I've admitted I may have been able to do better, but I can afford
it, so what's the big deal?

The best point(s) you make about your bike a
1) YOU like it
2) it gets you out
Can't argue with that. In Vancouver BC this year and last year at
least, bike shops are selling beach cruiser bikes like there's no
tomorrow. I'd never consider one, but I believe "each to his own taste"
should always apply. I hope you continue to enjoy the ride.
Bernie

Old June 13th 04, 10:16 PM
jj3pa

BanditManDan wrote:
First let me say that I'm glad that your happy with your landrider and
arent just using it for garage decorations. But let me explain the
reason for the negative comments. The comments come from experience,
perhaps not first hand experience but experience just the same. I have
ridden enough bikes over the years to know what features are important
and which are just pure marketing hype. Shifting is not a big problem on
todays average bike and adding a auto-shifting derailer is just another
thing that will eventually need adjusting/fixing.
You also mentioned that your cadence ranges from 35 to 70 rpm's, but
what about people with bad knee's? I personally will get pain in my
knees if I pedal slower than 70 rpm's for extended periods of time. In
my case the auto-shifting bike would make biking painful an thus prevent
me from riding for more that about 30 minutes a day.
Since your a video professional I would hope that you would give an
honest opinion when someone asks for it. For example, I'm planning on
buying an expensive digital camera ($1000). Perhaps you could tell me if
it's worth the money. It has 640 x 480 resolution (low I know) but I
really like this new "auto" zoom feature. I would like to take pictures
mainly for my family albumn and perhaps my bike clubs news letter.
Should I buy it?
Enjoy your riding
Dan.

I'm curious ... have you ever actually seen one in person ? Not the
autobike, which from what I understand had parts that weren't as good as
what they are putting in the landrider.

Even if its easier to shift from one gear to another, it is still
daunting to some to know when to shift or what to shift to .. How do you
explain to a new person what is first, second .. etc on a bike with 6 on
the back and 3 on the front (18) ? That part still isnt simple.

Old June 13th 04, 11:10 PM
Pete

"jj3pa" wrote

Even if its easier to shift from one gear to another, it is still
daunting to some to know when to shift or what to shift to .. How do you
explain to a new person what is first, second .. etc on a bike with 6 on
the back and 3 on the front (18) ? That part still isnt simple.

I've instructed a couple of newbies (kids, first time adults) thusly:

1. Normal riding, leave it in the middle up front.
2. Make gross changes with the front rings (Uphill = smaller, downhills =
larger)
3. Adjust up and down with the back. If it's getting too hard to pedal, go
to the next bigger one in the back. Too easy to pedal? Go to the next
smaller.
- Due to the instant feedback through the feet and legs (pedalling way too
hard or easy), they know instantly if they've shifted to the wrong gear.
("Brain - Don't do that next time!")

They figure it out soon enough.

Pete

Old June 14th 04, 10:10 AM
Raoul Duke

"jj3pa" wrote in message

Even if its easier to shift from one gear to another, it is still
daunting to some to know when to shift or what to shift to .. How do you
explain to a new person what is first, second .. etc on a bike with 6 on
the back and 3 on the front (18) ? That part still isnt simple.

Gimme a break. If shifting gears on a bicycle is too tough for you, have
one of the eight year olds in your neighborhood explain it to you.

Dave

Old June 14th 04, 04:47 PM
BanditManDan

Pete wrote:
"jj3pa" wrote
[...]

I think this pretty much sums up what I wanted to say. I was able to
teach my kids how to shift with no problems at around the age of 7. But
I do think my kids are gifted, or at least smarter than most of the
adult population.

Dan.

Old June 15th 04, 01:20 AM
Leo Lichtman

Does the Landrider understand about headwinds and hills, or does it select a
gear based on what some absentee designer thought would be best "on
average?"