Just back from the fireworks in Sydney

Old December 31st 10, 03:43 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Just back from the fireworks in Sydney

Rode into town around 2100 and wandered around a bit looking for
something to eat at Chinatown.

Then around 2300, rode up George Street to the Opera House but got a
puncture along the way cos of some broken glass. Fixed that real quick
and still managed to score a good spot just under the Harbour Bridge and
had a great view of the fireworks.

Only 12 mins of fireworks but AWESOME becos where the spot I was at was
rather quirky as it seemed to trap the sounds of the explosions.

No parking problems. No traffic problems. It was fun

Happy New Year all.
Old January 1st 11, 01:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 1/01/2011 1:43 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
Rode into town around 2100 and wandered around a bit looking for
something to eat at Chinatown.

Then around 2300, rode up George Street to the Opera House but got a
puncture along the way cos of some broken glass. Fixed that real quick
and still managed to score a good spot just under the Harbour Bridge and
had a great view of the fireworks.

Only 12 mins of fireworks but AWESOME becos where the spot I was at was
rather quirky as it seemed to trap the sounds of the explosions.

No parking problems. No traffic problems. It was fun

Happy New Year all.

They tell me there will be parking meters in place for next year!

This morning on ABC Radio there was an interview with, I thing the
Sydney City Council manager of some sorts, explaining how much rubbish
was left by people. Something like down from 89 tonnes to only 60 tonnes
which they had to clean up. The disappointing part was the Announcer
was laughing about the amount left. Like your puncture from broken
glass, people are no longer responsible its just a big joke.

Having said that I was in Quebec City, in 2010 yep last year now, and
they celebrated John Bastille Day, the crowds absolutely trashed the
city to the point where all glass bottles were smashed all the gardens
trampled, being there for another couple of days observed cleaners down
on there hands and knees picking broken glass out of the, which were,
previously lawns. Totally disgusting for a beautiful city.
Old January 1st 11, 01:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 01 Jan 2011 11:18:52 +1100
Rob wrote:
This morning on ABC Radio there was an interview with, I thing the
Sydney City Council manager of some sorts, explaining how much rubbish
was left by people. Something like down from 89 tonnes to only 60 tonnes
which they had to clean up. The disappointing part was the Announcer
was laughing about the amount left. Like your puncture from broken
glass, people are no longer responsible its just a big joke.

Hate to break it to you.. they never were. Not in the mass.

It's a tricky problem... There's some reason to believe that if you
*don't* provide rubbish bins, people take their rubbish with them
rather than throw it away. If you do and they overflow, people will
just dump the rubbish by the full bin or throw it nearby rather than
taking it home.

There's a line past which people won't take the rubbish home, usually
when it's too much, too dirty, or awkward.

Bottles are awkward to carry, you can shove a chip packet into your
pocket, but not a bottle. So they get chucked. Especially as most
glass ones are alcohol and alcohol is a disinhibitor.

Add to that the fact that the place gets cleaned and people know it,
that it isn't theirs so they don't feel responsible for the mess (see
also the sink in any workplace with more than a handful of employeers)
and they see others do it, and they aren't sorrounded by people they believe
will think badly of them. All those mean most people's desire not to
leave a mess is much lessened.

(And it was ever thus, it was thus when I worked for the Adelaide
city council in the 80s, it was thus as long as there have been out
door events and people attended them and *had* rubbish to throw.
I've seen rants about picknicers and outdoor concert goers dating
from the 1840s. The City Engineer (who was responsible for the
rubbish collection and street cleaning) was a mine of information
on the history of rubbish and the problems of dealing with it.)

Only way to stop broken glass is the proven South Oz method: deposits.
You don't see smashed glass on SA roads. Or roads within a mile or
two of the border. Go much further and you see plenty.

Minor downside to the deposit law is more rubbish, because scavengers
go through rubbish bins and don't put the rubbish back.

If you want to stop people leaving rubbish, forbid alcohol, have large
bins everywhere and empty them often enough that they never fill.

You'll find the cost and logistics of that to be horrible, and the
complaints about the ugly smelly bins ruining the place will be many.

Zebee
Old January 1st 11, 02:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Minor downside to the deposit law is more rubbish, because scavengers
go through rubbish bins and don't put the rubbish back.

IME, the pesioers who do that are very careful about putting the rubbish
back.

Old January 1st 11, 02:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 01 Jan 2011 12:31:35 +1100
terryc wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Minor downside to the deposit law is more rubbish, because scavengers
go through rubbish bins and don't put the rubbish back.

IME, the pesioers who do that are very careful about putting the rubbish
back.

It varies, but when I was working for the council it was one of the
big problems we had.

Zebee
Old January 1st 11, 05:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

terryc wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Minor downside to the deposit law is more rubbish, because scavengers
go through rubbish bins and don't put the rubbish back.

IME, the pesioers who do that are very careful about putting the rubbish
back.

Check your keyboard, your "n" seems not to be working.
Old January 1st 11, 07:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

wrote:

Only way to stop broken glass is the proven South Oz method: deposits.
You don't see smashed glass on SA roads. Or roads within a mile or
two of the border. Go much further and you see plenty.

Always wondered how well the SA deposit system worked. Sounds like it
works a treat according to what you are saying there.

Minor downside to the deposit law is more rubbish, because scavengers
go through rubbish bins and don't put the rubbish back.

But surely the scavo problem is minisicule compared to what actually
goes back to the recycling plant - I mean, there can't be that many
bottles left around for scavenging.

If you want to stop people leaving rubbish, forbid alcohol, have large
bins everywhere and empty them often enough that they never fill.

*Ahem* I have to object to the ban on alcohol - totally unbiased opinion
on my part of cos but methinks that the "large bins everywhere" idea is
the real answer provided they get emptied regularly.

You'll find the cost and logistics of that to be horrible, and the
complaints about the ugly smelly bins ruining the place will be many.

Yeah, cost-wise it's probably a killer but the smelliness factor
probably does not apply if said large bins were used in one-day events.
Old January 1st 11, 07:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 1/01/2011 2:36 PM, Dr Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

If you want to stop people leaving rubbish, forbid alcohol, have large
bins everywhere and empty them often enough that they never fill.

Of course, Sydney doesn't have too many bins thanks to Goof ****lam's
brilliant decision to hold a CHOGM conference in the middle of Sydney
back in the early 70s.

With the number of cameras around the place nowadays, it is probably
unlikely that we will have a repeat of the Hilton bombing. My guess is
that highly visible notices announcing the presence of such cameras
would be a deterrent of sorts.

Having said that, I am reasonably certain that there are some crazies
who will not be stopped by any form of passive deterrent so maybe we
should all be allowed to carry guns .... eeerrr.. sorry.. I got carried
away there

Old January 1st 11, 08:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

wrote:

[...]

When you attend big events now you are subjected to a security check.

Wonder if big bins are placed at these gates so when you leave would
people use them?
Old January 1st 11, 01:04 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

F Murtz wrote:
terryc wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Minor downside to the deposit law is more rubbish, because scavengers
go through rubbish bins and don't put the rubbish back.

IME, the pesioers who do that are very careful about putting the rubbish
back.

Check your keyboard, your "n" seems not to be working.

Why? Seems people managed fine with out it VBCG
In any case, if I remember that bit about misspellings, I only have to
get the beginning and ends of words right for people to understand what
I mean.