Bicycle trailers:

Old June 25th 04, 03:39 AM
Rick Onanian

Default Bicycle trailers:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:53:35 -0400, Curtis L. Russell
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:37:07 -0400, Rick Onanian
wrote:
So Fabrizio will have a heart attack if you ride faster than him.

Not if: when.

No, 'if' is correct for me, unless I'm guaranteed a good downhill.
--
Rick "aerobelly" Onanian
Old June 25th 04, 03:49 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Ron Hardin" wrote: There's no harm in a high cg; it makes you more
stable, if anything. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am picturing you with road gearing, climbing a hill, out of the saddle,
and angling the bike from side to side as you pedal. That crateful of
baggage is moving back and forth--doesn't that make riding harder? I'm not
saying it does; I have never tried it, but it sure seems like it would.

Old June 25th 04, 04:11 AM
Bernie

The Queen of Cans and Jars wrote:

David Kerber wrote:

In article ,
says...

Ron Hardin wrote:

Trailers slow you down a lot. Factor that in to your desires.

An empty trailer isn't bad, and carrying lots of weight on the bike
isn't bad, but the combination of wind resistance from the trailer
and from the weight it carries tips the impression over the top that
you're really being slowed down.

So if you need gear, put a milk crate on a sturdy rear luggage rack
and do it that way. (I recommend a conventional rack with legs
PLUS the core innards of a seat-post rack under it, so it's stabilized
as firmly to the frame as possible; the latter prevents sway and the
former bears the weight.)

why on earth would you put a milk crate on your rack instead of pannier
bags?

To make it more theft resistant.

hee!

I rode for a about a year n a half with a milk crate zipp tied to my
rack. Visually ugly. Practically? The best!

I took it off because I had a style attitude, wanted to look more
"normal" (word of advice: "get a car")
There's some history. Bottom line today? The previous advice is good
and reasonable. A milk crate is a good thing.
The real bottom line is, if you like riding a bike , get a bike and ride
it.
Cheers!!! Bernie

Old June 25th 04, 04:25 AM
Claire Petersky

"The Queen of Cans and Jars" wrote in message
.. .

i don't ride in the rain.

!!

Why not?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old June 25th 04, 04:43 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote: (clip) rainproof panniers I made from cat litter
buckets and a few dollars of hardware.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now I'm going to bring this discussion full circle. I think those panniers
are really neat, but it looks like they would add as much wind resistance as
a trailer.

That's my rain bike and when carrying cargo in the rain, or just when
carrying cargo period, wind resistance isn't high on my list of
concerns. But take into account tailbox effect and it may actually
reduce drag. It would take coast down tests to determine.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"A bicycle does get you there and more And there is always the thin edge
of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs become
dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal. And
getting there is all the fun."
Bill Emerson

Old June 25th 04, 04:50 AM
The Queen of Cans and Jars

Claire Petersky wrote:

"The Queen of Cans and Jars" wrote in message
.. .

i don't ride in the rain.

!!

Why not?

because i don't have to any more.
Old June 25th 04, 05:01 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Ron Hardin" wrote: There's no harm in a high cg; it makes you more
stable, if anything. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am picturing you with road gearing, climbing a hill, out of the saddle,
and angling the bike from side to side as you pedal. That crateful of
baggage is moving back and forth--doesn't that make riding harder? I'm not
saying it does; I have never tried it, but it sure seems like it would.

Indeed. As someone who has carried a lot of heavy cargo by bike, I know
keeping it low is very important. I've done the milk crate on top of the
rack thing, that's how I know hanging them from the sides of the rack
works better. But even small changes in center of gravity can be felt.
I've recently been carrying a lot of wood pallets home for a garden
project via a one wheel BOB trailer. If you look at a pallet, you see
that it has a light side with usually 3 slats and a heavy side with 8 to
12 slats. Carrying it heavy side down causes noticeably better handling
even though it's only a difference of four inches.

Old June 25th 04, 05:47 AM
Frank Krygowski

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Ron Hardin" wrote: There's no harm in a high cg; it makes you more
stable, if anything. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am picturing you with road gearing, climbing a hill, out of the saddle...

Sounds like you're not picturing Ron Hardin!

For many years, Ron has given us fond descriptions of his Huffy, and his
sneak-along-the-sidewalk riding style. Seriously. This will help you
understand the milk crate.

Not that there's anything wrong with a milk crate, of course!

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old June 25th 04, 07:49 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Ne t s c a pE_D 0 T_Ne T

The idea of a trailer has been going through my mind
and am wondering what sort, as in single rear wheel,
or twin wheeled type.

I have one of each, a Bykaboose and a BOB. The single-wheel BOB is
lighter, sturdier, tracks better, seems to have less drag, and is more
stable; the two-wheel Bykaboose is cheaper, holds more, and it folds
flat. Both provide two advantages over racks and panniers [of which I
have plenty]: you can carry more, and the bike is more stable carrying
the load. Racks and panniers are lighter in weight, though, and cheaper;
anyone who do not need to carry a lot of weight and volume of cargo may
be better off with them than with a trailer.

--
Robots don't kill people -- people kill people.
http://www.irobotmovie.com/