Latest uni class / club update

Old November 17th 04, 06:17 PM
billham

Default Latest uni class / club update

We have one week left for the official close of the uni class. The
class has been well received by the participants and the church who is
allowing us to us the gym. I just got approval to keep using the gym on
a weekly basis and most of our present riders are excited that we have a
weekly meeting place.

We now have a core group of unicyclists and a weekly meeting place which
is crucial to my plans for growth of the sport in our area. We average
10 riders per session and are continuing to see people showing interest
in learning. A couple of known riders from the area have yet to show up
to join us for an evening.

As I had planned (and hoped!), the class has given us a solid foundation
for the beginnings of a club. I am very pleased with the fruits of our
labor. I say "our" because of the great support I have had from some of
the other people in our group. I initiated the class and got it
started, but much credit goes to Chris and Bob (unidaddy). Chris has
done a great job of recruiting others to join us and Bob has been
selfless in helping me teach the newbies. Thanks guys!

To celebrate the completion of the class and the "beginning" of our uni
club (unofficialy a club) we are riding in a local Christmas Parade.
Looks like we will have at least 8 local riders in the parade! Needless
to say, I am pumped!

Next step will be to organize a leadership group, establish some goals
and move forward with plans for club unicycles, trials props,
performances (for promotion and fundraising) and for recruiting more
members. Looks like 2005 is going to be a big unicycling year for
Washington County.

Bill

--
billham

On my way to starting a local unicycle club!
billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

Old November 17th 04, 07:37 PM
Memphis Mud

What is the NAME of your club?

-Tom (of MUC)

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

"do not think, just ride"...muniracer
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old November 18th 04, 01:02 AM
billham

We don't have a name yet. We're just the group that meets on Tuesday
nights at the church. I don't think a name is critical at this point,
especially since we have a weekly practice time.

How important do you think a club name is for the growth of the group?

Bill

Old November 18th 04, 03:09 AM
bugman

Bill sounds like things are going well. I got the CD and plan on
playing around with it in a couple of weeks. Thanks for getting it out
for me. Here is a name for your new club... WOW. Washington One
Wheelers.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who
are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Old November 18th 04, 04:05 AM
KJ-52

hmmmmm, I think i'll have to move out west a bit and join in on the fun
: )

Glad unicyclings spreading so fast for you guys. Over here I guess it's
slowed down a bit, some of the kids that come to the youth center still
try to ride now and then, and my 2 unicycle buddys still ride, things
will probably pick up when it gets warmer. I also have a student, but
haven't taught her in a week or two, oh well : )

Thanks for the update,

Andrew

--
KJ-52 - unicycle teacher

grey jackets rock!!
KJ-52's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5614

Old November 18th 04, 10:59 AM
GILD

it's good to hear things are going well

i don't think a name is crucial
yet
eventually, i'm sure the sociologists will agree, a club name will
create more of a sense of belonging
i'm pretty sure a name will suggest itself at some stage
besides, u'll need to put something on your club T-shirts

--
GILD - Waffle-Tosser and Time-bider

if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
alice 'roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) longworth
i'm going to memorize your name and throw my head away.-- oscar levant
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)

Old November 18th 04, 06:18 PM
billham

bugman wrote:
*Here is a name for your new club... WOW. Washington One Wheelers. *

Good idea, I like having the acronym of WOW, but a little late for us to
use. Only 5 hours west of us is the Wood One Wheelers, a well
established club. It wouldn't be right to have 2 clubs with WOW name
next to each other.

I like the idea of having an acronym with the name that stands on its
own. Like WOW and SWAT (Single Wheeled Attack Team, Philly, PA).

GILD - serious promotion efforts will need a name for the t-shirts,
flyers, web-site, etc. There are lots of benefits to having a name, but
at present we can be TGTRUOTN (pronounced Tig-Trooten) or The Gang That
Rides Unicycles On Tuesday Nights.

Bill

Old November 19th 04, 04:54 AM
KJ-52

Tuesday Night Trailblazers!!!

Andrew

Old November 19th 04, 09:39 AM
GILD

The Nights we Unicycle are Tuesdays

The Nuts?

(ps. no, tha's not a serious suggestion, i'm just messing around here)

Old November 19th 04, 02:27 PM
Memphis Mud

Monongahela River Monowheelers

MRM.

Pronounced "Murm".

Your club cheer, as you road gnat-like, swarming, in the parades or
passing hikers while MUni could be a very low, down around low-low
Dflat, almost inaudible "murmermurmermurmer" uttered by all members.
(tehe)

You could have MRM-men and MRM-maids