Exit Fassa Bortolo

Old July 13th 03, 01:33 PM
Erik van Leeuwen

Default Exit Fassa Bortolo

Fassa team reduced to 4, because Aitor Gonzalez, Sven Montgomery and Gustov
did not start and Nicola Loda gave up... what's the matter with them?

Old July 13th 03, 02:17 PM
David Ryan

Erik van Leeuwen wrote:

Fassa team reduced to 4, because Aitor Gonzalez, Sven Montgomery and Gustov
did not start and Nicola Loda gave up... what's the matter with them?

Three, Velo also quit yesterday. Letour narration today has it wrong.
Food poisoning given as reason.
Shoulda kept it in the fridge I guess.
Old July 13th 03, 02:20 PM
Mike Iglesias

In article ,
Erik van Leeuwen wrote:
Fassa team reduced to 4, because Aitor Gonzalez, Sven Montgomery and Gustov
did not start and Nicola Loda gave up... what's the matter with them?

According to cyclingnews.com, the team says the riders got a virus:

The Fassa Bortolo team has issued a press statement saying that the
reason for six of its riders abandoning in the last two days is a
virus that has hit the team. Marco Velo was one of the first to get
it, followed by Petacchi who retired yesterday. Then Gonzalez, Gustov,
Montgomery and Loda succumbed. That leaves only Basso, Bruseghin and
Cioni in the race.

--
Mike Iglesias Email:
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Old July 13th 03, 02:21 PM
David N. Welton

"Erik van Leeuwen" writes:

Fassa team reduced to 4, because Aitor Gonzalez, Sven Montgomery and
Gustov did not start and Nicola Loda gave up... what's the matter
with them?

Davide Cassani and Auro Bulbarelli, the RAI3 commentators, talked with
Ferretti, the Fassa DS, and apparently most of the team came down with
some sort of flu. Infact, Petacchi is home in bed with a fever as
well.

--
David N. Welton
Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
Old July 13th 03, 03:05 PM
Harris

"Erik van Leeuwen" wrote:

Fassa team reduced to 4, because Aitor Gonzalez, Sven Montgomery and

Gustov
did not start and Nicola Loda gave up... what's the matter with them?

Flu (they claim).

Art Harris

Old July 13th 03, 09:26 PM
Stephen Ferguson

Much as I hate it when other people cast aspersions, anyone remember the
Tour at which the whole PDM team quit, when they used contaminated
masking agent (in order to cover up their doping activities)?

They tried to claim it was food poisoning at first ......

Stephen

Old July 13th 03, 09:41 PM
Tom Kunich

"Stephen Ferguson" wrote in message
Much as I hate it when other people cast aspersions, anyone remember

the
Tour at which the whole PDM team quit, when they used contaminated
masking agent (in order to cover up their doping activities)?

They tried to claim it was food poisoning at first ......

Get it straight - they were using a perfectly legal compound that they
IV'd into their riders. It was supposed to add calories while
re-hydrating the riders. Because it contained a sugar it spoiled when
unrefrigerated.

It gave all of us the willies to think of riders laying there being
IV'd after a race is all.

But when I was at the jounior nationals in Texas one year most of the
front groups were in the medical tent afterwards being re-hydrated
with IV's in order to be able to pee into the cup. There must have
been twenty riders in there. My middle daughter had to have two bags
just to get to the point where she could pee at all.

Old July 13th 03, 09:49 PM
David N. Welton

"Stephen Ferguson" writes:

Much as I hate it when other people cast aspersions, anyone remember
the Tour at which the whole PDM team quit, when they used
contaminated masking agent (in order to cover up their doping
activities)?

They tried to claim it was food poisoning at first ......

Who knows... could be something like that. OTOH, Marco Velo was
already feeling bad a couple of days ago and dropped out. Then the
other guys got it.

Old July 19th 03, 04:20 AM
Tom Kunich

"warren" wrote in message
In article et,

Tom
Kunich wrote:

[...]

Mapei doctor told me they use IV fluids for rehydration because if

they
try to add back all that fluid through the stomach it dilutes the
digestive juices too much.

You know Warren, you are a mine of information. That is something I
hadn't thought about and probably the reason that I get the runs after
a couple of days of hard riding where I end up drinking a great deal
of liquids.

Old July 19th 03, 04:46 AM
warren

In article k.net,
Tom Kunich wrote:

"warren" wrote in message
In article et,

Mapei doctor told me they use IV fluids for rehydration because if

they
try to add back all that fluid through the stomach it dilutes the
digestive juices too much.

You know Warren, you are a mine of information. That is something I
hadn't thought about and probably the reason that I get the runs after
a couple of days of hard riding where I end up drinking a great deal
of liquids.

TMI Tom, TMI.

-WG