More California

Old August 28th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
datakoll

Default More California

well, I'm going this winter. My 544 and I drove out several years ago
and down Route One. I rather like Medocino, the Lost Coast and the
Mtns but Monterey Bay area may be more entertaining.
Joseph's ideal is rolling out and down onto the surface to go. Ace
move. I have that here in Florida, 365 and flat.
I lived in northern PA before moving south. I ran 8000 miles on the
beach (I counted) curing a lung infection. Went without AC and ice.
The internal AC, blood circulation under the skin surface, increased
capacity so running in 100 degree heat is no big deal. My body fat
quotient is a negative 10%. It's hot but the heat doesn't overwhelm my
function. I'm not sure if I can walk barefoot in the snow now.
Rig up a foil hot box with infrared, an ex bike, and try it!
stock up on polyester clothing.

Old August 28th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

SLAVE of THE STATE schreef:
Is French a required class?

In my day it was, for the first 3 years. I don't think there is such a
distinction in America but in Holland there are 3 levels of secondary
education, taking 4, 5 and 6 years. The first year usually comprises
level 1/2 and level 2/3 combined classes. Completely separate classes
are formed after the first year. I was competent enough to take the 6 yr
version, the one giving direct access to university education. In the
other levels, I don't think any language other than Dutch and English
was compulsory after the 2nd year.

Today, the whole system has changed and I'm afraid I don't know much
about it.

As for the modern Dutch educational system, I can only say that the
level of English proficiency it almost universally confers seems to be
so impressive as to render the Dutch language redundant.

There were English-only signs at key points in Schipol, as well as
places where the English was more prominent than the Dutch. The
people-movers said "mind your step" in English only. I think the guy who
sold me an outrageously priced sandwich and grape soda spoke better
English than I did, though I hesitate to assess his Dutch.

I would like to congratulate the Netherlands on becoming a member of the
Anglosphere, and I have to say that my general impression is that your
country is just cute as a button.

If I could afford to do so, I would be happy to live there,

Old August 28th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Aug 27, 8:00 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Steven L. Sheffield" wrote in .. .

On 08/27/2007 07:36 PM, in article ,
"Tom
Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Why do you suppose all of the technology is leaving the USA?

Because people like you keep demonstrating how incompetent the United
States
really is?

What is it that YOU do for a living again - help me here - I'm sure it is
something productive.

There may be hope for Steven. I don't think he is a demographer or
stargazer.

I haven't found a taker for my pets. When I took Anthro, the
professor told the class to never have a primate as a pet. I wouldn't
listen and had to learn the hard way.

Old August 28th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
I haven't found a taker for my pets. When I took Anthro, the
professor told the class to never have a primate as a pet. I wouldn't
listen and had to learn the hard way.

Yes, but you'd need an awful lot of monkeys and a herring or two
to produce a power/cadence chart randomly.

Old August 29th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,
Bob Schwartz
wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
Greece was awesome. I hardly did any riding, but I drank a lot of beer.

Oddly, Heineken is one of the most popular brands,

One sip of Retsina will tell you why foreign products are preferred.

I enjoy retsina wine. Best served ~10 deg C.

The story I hear is that straight grain wood was dear,
so wine casks were made with whatever and caulked with resin.

Shame you didn't go anyplace that served andouillette.

This news group is permanently scarred.

--
Michael Press
Old August 29th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
Ewoud Dronkert
wrote:

Ryan Cousineau schreef:
Howard Kveck wrote:
I'd think you could get it in Amsterdam. After all, ED's description of
typical
Dutch food is, "Pretty much like French, only with more mayonnaise."

True story: we stayed with my wife's cousin, the well-traveled, urbane
Malou, on our short overnight layover in Amsterdam. She asked where we
wanted to eat, and I said something like "I'd like to have a traditional
Dutch dinner." She looked at me like I had two heads and said there
hardly was such a thing. We had some wonderful Spanish food, instead.

"Dutch cuisine" is usually associated with rich, fat winterfood for
farmers.

This reminded me of the novel The Rattle-Rat by
Jan Willem van de Wetering.
Grijpstra and de Gier are detached to investigate
a murder in Friesland. Memorably funny. The author's
take on Frieslanders is dry, vivid, and scandalous.

A highlight would be: mashed kale and potatoes with gravy,
bacon and sausage. See
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afbeeld...l_stamppot.jpg

And http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categoryutch_cuisine

--
Michael Press
Old August 29th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article .com,
SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:

I haven't found a taker for my pets. When I took Anthro, the
professor told the class to never have a primate as a pet. I wouldn't
listen and had to learn the hard way.

'Ave you got a lissence fer yer minkey?

--
tanx,
Howard

Faberge eggs are elegant but I prefer Faberge bacon.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old August 30th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Michael Press" wrote in message

This reminded me of the novel The Rattle-Rat by
Jan Willem van de Wetering.
Grijpstra and de Gier are detached to investigate
a murder in Friesland. Memorably funny. The author's
take on Frieslanders is dry, vivid, and scandalous.

Dang, I read that one and can't remember a word of it.

Old August 31st 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 27, 12:29 am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Holy Regrettable Food, Batman!

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/spec.html

An old favourite, courtesy James Lileks:

(if you only have time to visit one gallery, you could do worse than
this one):

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/10PM/index.html

http://www.amalah.com/photos/the_com...ook/index.html

Although semi-inspired by Lileks, I actually
like this one better. Among other things, the
cookbook is contemporary, not a 1962 horrorshow.
People are making this stuff RIGHT NOW.
They may even be eating it.

The truly frightening thing is how many ways there
are to combine sausage, eggs, and cheese, each of
which is yummy in its own right, into something
which looks utterly disgusting.

Ben

In California... Andre Racing 5 February 16th 07 08:15 PM
something we need from california Andy Gee General 3 October 26th 05 09:56 PM
ha California! aeek Australia 0 August 16th 04 08:36 AM
ha California! aeek Australia 1 August 16th 04 07:08 AM
California here we come! shabby Unicycling 9 April 23rd 04 01:08 AM