More California

Old August 24th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Connelly

Default More California

wrote:
On Aug 24, 10:49 am, Dan Connelly
wrote:
If I assume this rate is time-independent,

y = integral(0 to infinity) age * f'(age) d age

Which obviously differs from the life expectancy of someone born at any moment of
time, including today.

You assumed this rate is time-independent.

But your math is, of course, correct. We distinguish between a cohort
life expectancy and a period life expectancy and the context is
generally so clear that we don't specify it. When we write "the life
expectancy at birth in 2000" and "life expectancy at birth in 2001"
we're talking about period rates. When we write "the life expectancy
at birth for the cohort of 1857" we're talking about the cohort rate.

It's sort of like the convention for saying "life expectancy" instead
of "life expectancy at birth." Notice in your equation "integral(0 to
infinity)". If you took integral(X to infinity) that would be
expectation of life at age X, conditional on having survived to age X.
That's why I referred to life expectancy as a conditional expected
value.

Your partial derivative is the hazard rate. Your p(t,t0)dt is the
survivorship function. Life expectancy calculations are the same as
MTBF calculations. Your issue is congruent with what are called
censored observations.

Okay, now we're aligned.

I think we went over this a couple of years ago.

I think we did....
Old August 24th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Doug Anderson

writes:

On Aug 23, 2:27 pm, I wrote:
On Aug 23, 2:10 pm, Dan Connelly wrote:

From:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy

Oh dear. I'll have to edit that when I get a chance.

Last night I asked more than 1% of the world's PhD demographers to
rate the section of the Wikipedia entry that Dan cited for content and
accuracy. The average rating was a just a bit higher than 6 out of 10.

Was it a randomly chosen sample of slightly more than 1% of the
world's Ph.D. demographers?

If not, then surely those same demographers can tell you that their
opinions don't necessarily reflect those of the other 99%.
Old August 24th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

From:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy

Oh dear. I'll have to edit that when I get a chance.

Last night I asked more than 1% of the world's PhD demographers to
rate the section of the Wikipedia entry that Dan cited for content and
accuracy. The average rating was a just a bit higher than 6 out of 10.

I recently learned that sample size is much more important than sample
proportion. 60% sounds like a fairly good mark.

Old August 24th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 24, 2:09 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Last night I asked more than 1% of the world's PhD demographers to
rate the section of the Wikipedia entry that Dan cited for content and
accuracy. The average rating was a just a bit higher than 6 out of 10.

I recently learned that sample size is much more important than sample
proportion. 60% sounds like a fairly good mark.

We agreed 6 out of 10 is a D.

You're right about sample size, but my dining room table is only so
big.

Old August 24th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 24, 2:06 pm, Doug Anderson
wrote:

Was it a randomly chosen sample of slightly more than 1% of the
world's Ph.D. demographers?

Hell no.

If not, then surely those same demographers can tell you that their
opinions don't necessarily reflect those of the other 99%.

That's surely true. We disproportionately represent the PhD
demographers who train other demographers.

Old August 24th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 24, 3:17 pm, Bob Schwartz
wrote:

As dumbasses go, you're one in a billion. Approximately.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...3260cec15a69a3

Old August 24th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 24, 3:29 pm, wrote:
On Aug 24, 3:17 pm, Bob Schwartz
wrote:

As dumbasses go, you're one in a billion. Approximately.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...3260cec15a69a3

Please. Enough with the boasting about your 6000 girlfriends,
5 in the Bay Area alone.

Old August 25th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

http://www.canoe.ca/BasketballChambe...ct13_wil2.html

In California... Andre Racing 5 February 16th 07 08:15 PM
something we need from california Andy Gee General 3 October 26th 05 09:56 PM
ha California! aeek Australia 0 August 16th 04 08:36 AM
ha California! aeek Australia 1 August 16th 04 07:08 AM
California here we come! shabby Unicycling 9 April 23rd 04 01:08 AM