Wisconsin - Necedah Hwy 21 Bridge

Old May 17th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
jmk

Default Wisconsin - Necedah Hwy 21 Bridge

Hello -

We are riding from Minneapolis to Milwaukee this summer and I am working
on a way to cross the Wisconsin River. The Highway 21 bridge just east
of Necedah looks like it will serve us well, at least from a routing
perspective.

Has anyone crossed the the Highway 21 Bridge via bicycle? The Bike
Federation of Wisconsin map indicates that its Red, meaning not
recommended. I wouldn't be on it long, just a few miles.

TIA,
Jim in Minneapolis

Old May 17th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

jmk wrote:
Hello -

We are riding from Minneapolis to Milwaukee this summer and I am working
on a way to cross the Wisconsin River. The Highway 21 bridge just east
of Necedah looks like it will serve us well, at least from a routing
perspective.

Has anyone crossed the the Highway 21 Bridge via bicycle? The Bike
Federation of Wisconsin map indicates that its Red, meaning not
recommended. I wouldn't be on it long, just a few miles.

TIA,
Jim in Minneapolis

I take it that you have already decided against the Wisconsin State
Trails route - like Sparta to Elroy - to Reedsburg. (?) I crossed the
Wisconsin River (Lake Wisconsin) south of Baraboo - at the Merrimac Ferry.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old May 18th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Pete

Chuck Anderson wrote:

jmk wrote:

Hello -

We are riding from Minneapolis to Milwaukee this summer and I am
working on a way to cross the Wisconsin River. The Highway 21 bridge
just east of Necedah looks like it will serve us well, at least from
a routing perspective.

Has anyone crossed the the Highway 21 Bridge via bicycle? The Bike
Federation of Wisconsin map indicates that its Red, meaning not
recommended. I wouldn't be on it long, just a few miles.

TIA,
Jim in Minneapolis

Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

I take it that you have already decided against the Wisconsin State
Trails route - like Sparta to Elroy - to Reedsburg. (?) I crossed the
Wisconsin River (Lake Wisconsin) south of Baraboo - at the Merrimac
Ferry.

Going around the W side of Devils Lake is beautiful
Old May 18th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
jmk

Chuck - The Sparta-Elroy trail is an option. After chatting with
someone at Juneau County, we decided to alter the route to stay west of
the Wisconsin River and cross at the Merrimac Ferry. That day we will
ride from Baraboo to Watertown (I think).

Another reply suggested that we ride the west side of Devil's Lake. Its
great, and that will be part of the route too.

Thanks for the repliy.

Jim K

Old May 18th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

jmk wrote:
Chuck - The Sparta-Elroy trail is an option. After chatting with
someone at Juneau County, we decided to alter the route to stay west of
the Wisconsin River and cross at the Merrimac Ferry. That day we will
ride from Baraboo to Watertown (I think).

Another reply suggested that we ride the west side of Devil's Lake. Its
great, and that will be part of the route too.

Thanks for the repliy.

Jim K

Also .... if you go further south (as opposed to going to Watertown),
there is a long trail out of the Madison area - The Glacial Drumlin
Trail - that covers a lot of ground on it's way to Wakesha. The
downside is having to ride down near Madison (Cottage Grove is the town
where the trail starts). When I did that, I stayed in a motel in
Madison, so I went through the east side of town. I don't know what the
route would be like trying to stay east of Madison to get to that trail.

All in all, Wisconsin is a beautiful state to ride through - and they
have excellent bicycling maps that allow you to pick your own route.
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/bike-foot/bikemaps.htm

Here's my write-up of riding on the Wisconsin State Trails on my from
Stillwater to western Chicago.
http://www.cycletourist.com/Boulder_to_Minneapolis/index.php?document=Therest_II.html%2314

Chuck

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old June 6th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On May 17, 10:23 am, jmk wrote:
Hello -

We are riding from Minneapolis to Milwaukee this summer and I am working
on a way to cross the Wisconsin River. The Highway 21 bridge just east
of Necedah looks like it will serve us well, at least from a routing
perspective.

Has anyone crossed the the Highway 21 Bridge via bicycle? The Bike
Federation of Wisconsin map indicates that its Red, meaning not
recommended. I wouldn't be on it long, just a few miles.

TIA,
Jim in Minneapolis

I've crossed at Route 16 at Wisconsin Dells - no problem there. It's
a big tourist area with many facilities of many kinds - for better or
worse.

Old June 6th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2007-06-06, Ron Wallenfang wrote:
On May 17, 10:23 am, jmk wrote:
Hello -

We are riding from Minneapolis to Milwaukee this summer and I am working
on a way to cross the Wisconsin River. The Highway 21 bridge just east
of Necedah looks like it will serve us well, at least from a routing
perspective.

Has anyone crossed the the Highway 21 Bridge via bicycle? The Bike
Federation of Wisconsin map indicates that its Red, meaning not
recommended. I wouldn't be on it long, just a few miles.

TIA,
Jim in Minneapolis

I've crossed at Route 16 at Wisconsin Dells - no problem there. It's
a big tourist area with many facilities of many kinds - for better or
worse.

How about Hwy 82 outside of Mauston? It's a bit south from 21, but it's not
as far down as the Dells, and should be less nutty in tourist season.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_

Wisconsin...? dorks from Wisconsin MTBing? LIBERATOR Mountain Biking 0 July 3rd 06 11:12 PM
IM Wisconsin Wookie Kim Techniques 7 May 2nd 06 01:54 PM
Wisconsin koebwil Unicycling 2 December 16th 05 10:00 PM
Wisconsin Question mad_jesuit Rides 2 June 5th 05 12:49 AM
Used Bikes -Where to buy in -Wisconsin? Isidor Gunsberg Marketplace 2 July 17th 03 09:53 PM