consultation document

Old August 13th 07, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

Default consultation document

Not sure if this has been brought up already

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/...sultationpaper

Old August 13th 07, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Not sure if this has been brought up already

Good spot Waffles. More stuff on the consultation he
www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/infrastructuredesign

The consultation finishes on the 5th November and they hope to publish
the final version out early next year.

(Comments in square brackets obviously my own):

The intention of Cycling Infrastructure Design is to bring together
current Government guidance and advice on providing and planning for
cycle friendly infrastructure that is already publicly available into one
document. [Yay]

The document offers guidance only [bugger] and is primarily intended for
local authority practitioners and transport planners so that they can
ensure that cyclists are fully provided for within an integrated
transport system.

Purpose of consultation

The purpose of this consultation is to ensure the final document is
informed by the experience of a wide range of organisations with an
interest and in particular those who will use the guidance.

Consultation audience

The consultation is aimed at all organisations and individuals who have
an interest in cycling infrastructure, but particularly those invited to
respond as part of a peer review of Cycling Infrastructure Design. A
list of those organisations we have sent this consultation to is included
in Section 3. Comments are however welcomed from all.

Organisations Consulted: [wot's a CDT?]

CDTs (Aylesbury, Brighton, Darlington, Derby, Exeter, Lancaster)

Cycling England (CE)

Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC)

Disabled Persons' Transport Advisory Committee (DipTAC)

Institute of Highways and Transportation (IHT)

Local Authority Cycling Association (LACA)

Local Government Association (LGA)

Transport for London (TfL)

Bicycle Association

Sustrans

All Party Parliamentary Group

CCN

Home Office

CLG

Living Streets

Walk 21

--
Mark T
Old August 13th 07, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

Mark T wrote:
Not sure if this has been brought up already

Good spot Waffles. More stuff on the consultation he
www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/infrastructuredesign

The consultation finishes on the 5th November and they hope to publish
the final version out early next year.

(Comments in square brackets obviously my own):

The intention of Cycling Infrastructure Design is to bring together
current Government guidance and advice on providing and planning for
cycle friendly infrastructure that is already publicly available into one
document. [Yay]

I am not sure, but this sounds like Cycle Friendly Infrastructure 2,
which was written a couple of years ago and then disappeared into the DfT.

Rumour has it they don't like it and this consultation may be an
attempt to get others to back them up. If it is CFI2, it was probably
good when given to the DfT. Whether it still is is another question.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Old August 14th 07, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

I am not sure, but this sounds like Cycle Friendly Infrastructure 2,
which was written a couple of years ago and then disappeared into the
DfT.

Rumour has it they don't like it and this consultation may be an
attempt to get others to back them up. If it is CFI2, it was probably
good when given to the DfT. Whether it still is is another question.

Skimming through it I've noticed one problem so far, which is that in a
cycle lane the recommended minimum[1] distance from bike wheel to parked
car is just 1 metre. Obviously this means there's a gap of just 70cm
between car and handlebar - not far enough to prevent a 'dooring'.

I suspect the major problems will be what they've left out, rather than
what they say. I'll try and track down Cycle Friendly Infrastructure and
lobby the organisations invited to take part to get all the good bits put
back in.

[1] I.e. maximum that will be given :-/

--
Mark T
Old August 14th 07, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On 13 Aug 2007 21:24:45 GMT, Mark T
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid
wrote:

Organisations Consulted: [wot's a CDT?]

CDTs (Aylesbury, Brighton, Darlington, Derby, Exeter, Lancaster)

Cycling demonstration towns.

Cycling England pumped £17m into those six towns for cycling
infrastructure - that buys a lot of white paint.

www.cyclingengland.co.uk/dt_aylesbury.php
www.cyclingengland.co.uk/dt_brighton.php
www.cyclingengland.co.uk/dt_darlington.php
www.cyclingengland.co.uk/dt_derby.php
www.cyclingengland.co.uk/dt_exeter.php
www.cyclingengland.co.uk/dt_lancaster.php

I found it particularly sad to learn that, "The highlight in Lancaster
and Morecambe this month has been Derek Twigg's visit." But there is
also some excellent stuff going on

TACTRANS consultation David Martin UK 2 February 13th 07 11:22 AM
HW Code consultation: one week to go! [email protected] UK 1 May 4th 06 03:30 PM
highways agency consultation Martyn Bolt UK 3 March 7th 06 10:43 AM
Highway Code consultation Just zis Guy, you know? UK 105 February 25th 06 01:53 PM
CTC Briefing Document Just zis Guy, you know? UK 11 March 21st 04 03:53 PM