Recumbent Bicycle made from a Tree Trunk Pic

Old May 18th 09, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Brian Huntley

Default Recumbent Bicycle made from a Tree Trunk Pic

On May 17, 2:40*pm, Tom_Sherman
wrote:
SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:

Mark Franzels wrote:
On May 17, 10:37 am, SMS wrote:
I saw this today at the USGS Open House in Menlo Park:

"http://i41.tinypic.com/ouz91t.jpg"

Later I saw the owner riding it.

If collision occurs and the chain goes off, the sharp
slicer disc at the front can slice the person bottom
wide open. Dangerous.

There are a lot more dangers in a recumbent than that unlikely scenario..

No dangers that are not also common to uprights.

Oh yeah? What about fire, then? None of my upright bikes ever had HALF
the risk of forest fire that this recumbent has.
Old May 18th 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom_Sherman

Brian Huntley wrote:

Mark Franzels wrote:
On May 17, 10:37 am, SMS wrote:
I saw this today at the USGS Open House in Menlo Park:
"http://i41.tinypic.com/ouz91t.jpg"
Later I saw the owner riding it.
If collision occurs and the chain goes off, the sharp
slicer disc at the front can slice the person bottom
wide open. Dangerous.
There are a lot more dangers in a recumbent than that unlikely scenario.

No dangers that are not also common to uprights.

Oh yeah? What about fire, then? None of my upright bikes ever had HALF
the risk of forest fire that this recumbent has.

You do not carry a fire extinguisher when you ride? Sheesh!

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old May 18th 09, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom_Sherman

wrote:
Mark Franzels wrote:
On May 17, 10:37 am, SMS wrote:
I saw this today at the USGS Open House in Menlo Park:
"http://i41.tinypic.com/ouz91t.jpg"
Later I saw the owner riding it.
If collision occurs and the chain goes off, the sharp
slicer disc at the front can slice the person bottom
wide open. Dangerous.
There are a lot more dangers in a recumbent than that unlikely scenario.
No dangers that are not also common to uprights.

No, that's not true. Recumbents have some inherent dangers that don't
exist in diamond frame (or other upright) bicycles. There are visibility
issues, both seeing and being seen. There's the danger of leg suck.

I googled some and still don't get what leg suck is. What is it?

Catching a foot on the ground while in forward motion.

Unrelated (I forgot or never knew):
are recumbents faster downhill than uprights?

Conditionally, yes. Some recumbents with a high seat, upright seating
position and higher rolling resistance may be no more aerodynamic than a
rider on the "hoods". On the other hand, a recumbent with a highly
reclined seating position will easily out-coast an upright tandem.

Old May 18th 09, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Tom_Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom_Sherman" wrote in message
[...]

The visibility issue is minor to non-existent; I consistently get more
room from motor vehicles when riding a recumbent. Except for a few
lowracers, visibility and being seen is a non-issue (unless you believe
driving a normal sedan is also unsafe).

Jeff Grippe would disagree with you about the visibility issue in dense
urban traffic situations.
[...]

Cagers miss seeing upright cyclists all the time.

Chances are that if Jeff had been on an upright instead of a low to the
ground recumbent trike, that he would have been seen and not run into.
Dense urban traffic situations are very dangerous for recumbents. It is best
to avoid these conditions altogether unless you have a shoulder to ride on.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old May 18th 09, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Tom Kunich" wrote: Agreed but that is AFTER it has been spotted.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A recumbent with a flag on a whip "antenna" may actually be spotted sooner
than an upright without one.

Old May 18th 09, 08:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Mark Franzels wrote:
On May 17, 10:37 am, SMS wrote:
I saw this today at the USGS Open House in Menlo Park:

"http://i41.tinypic.com/ouz91t.jpg"

Later I saw the owner riding it.

If collision occurs and the chain goes off, the sharp
slicer disc at the front can slice the person bottom
wide open. Dangerous.

There are a lot more dangers in a recumbent than that unlikely scenario.

No dangers that are not also common to uprights.

No, that's not true. Recumbents have some inherent dangers that don't
exist in diamond frame (or other upright) bicycles. There are visibility
issues, both seeing and being seen. There's the danger of leg suck.

Some recumbents do not have leg suck problems. As for beeing seen
and see, just get a model where you sit high.
Old May 18th 09, 08:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Tom_Sherman wrote:
wrote:
Mark Franzels wrote:
On May 17, 10:37 am, SMS wrote:
I saw this today at the USGS Open House in Menlo Park:
"http://i41.tinypic.com/ouz91t.jpg"
Later I saw the owner riding it.
If collision occurs and the chain goes off, the sharp
slicer disc at the front can slice the person bottom
wide open. Dangerous.
There are a lot more dangers in a recumbent than that unlikely
scenario.
No dangers that are not also common to uprights.
No, that's not true. Recumbents have some inherent dangers that don't
exist in diamond frame (or other upright) bicycles. There are visibility
issues, both seeing and being seen. There's the danger of leg suck.

I googled some and still don't get what leg suck is. What is it?

Catching a foot on the ground while in forward motion.

Some seat designs are worse because they are a straight line which
catches the leg around the knee and then the resistance against the
ground hurts your leg.

This is why the Cruzbike comes with a rounded seat such that your
leg is just forced outwards and you dont have a problem.

Besides, i have gotten "leg suck" on a normal upright bike too, just
with the pedal into my leg when i was waiting at a red light, heavy
cargo and the bike was rolling.
Old May 18th 09, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom_Sherman" wrote in message
[...]

The visibility issue is minor to non-existent; I consistently get more
room from motor vehicles when riding a recumbent. Except for a few
lowracers, visibility and being seen is a non-issue (unless you believe
driving a normal sedan is also unsafe).

Jeff Grippe would disagree with you about the visibility issue in dense
urban traffic situations.

i drive my Cruzbike Freerider in dense urban traffic situations.
While i live in Copenhagen and most roads does have a seperate
bike path along the side, there are roads that does not have a bike
path. I see fine and i believe i am seen.
Old May 18th 09, 09:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom_Sherman" wrote in message
[...]

The visibility issue is minor to non-existent; I consistently get
more room from motor vehicles when riding a recumbent. Except for a
few lowracers, visibility and being seen is a non-issue (unless you
believe driving a normal sedan is also unsafe).

Jeff Grippe would disagree with you about the visibility issue in
dense urban traffic situations.
[...]

Cagers miss seeing upright cyclists all the time.

Absolutely. However, because serious accidents are so rare, it is
difficult to quantify the difference in safety between an upright which
DOES have very good visibility and a recumbent which has reduced
visibility AND reduced ability of the recumbent rider to see forward.

My cruzbike freerider has not reduced my ability to see forward. I
have been in 1 accident where a car turned right infront of me. I
was going downhill and was doing 46,4 km/h shortly before i slammed
into the side of the car. I was even clipped into my pedals. I did
manage to brake a little, but i was unharmed. My bike got a little
dent at the left pedal arm base. The car got a scratch along the side.

I avoided an accident hitting a small kid that ran infront of me by
applying the brakes, removing my feet from the pedals, sving them
down to the ground when i was slow enough, and then the bike turned
around the front wheel, lifting the rear wheel and the bike making
the seat follow my back as i stood up. All in a crontolled manner.

On an upright bike i have fallen sidewards and got a concusion. A
friend did the same and broke the colary? bone that holds the arm.

I believe that recumbents are more safe than uprights.
Old May 18th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

Well speaking for Jeff Grippe,

I was on a Tricruiser which is quite a high trike. I had a very bright
blinky light and it wasn't dark. I was right in the middle of the lane and
not off to the side as there was no shoulder at that point.

The car that hit me wasn't paying attention. It was a combination of bad
judgement and high vulnerability.

In most places, cyclists aren't safe. Car drivers aren't trained to share
the road. There are far too many car drivers and far too few cyclists. When
the ratio is a bit more balanced then riding will be safer. It has nothing
to do with the design of the bike and everything to do with the design of
motorists.

Jeff
"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com considered Sun, 17 May 2009
18:37:27 -0700 the perfect time to write:

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom_Sherman" wrote in message
[...]

The visibility issue is minor to non-existent; I consistently get
more
room from motor vehicles when riding a recumbent. Except for a few
lowracers, visibility and being seen is a non-issue (unless you
believe driving a normal sedan is also unsafe).

Jeff Grippe would disagree with you about the visibility issue in
dense
urban traffic situations.
[...]

Cagers miss seeing upright cyclists all the time.

Absolutely. However, because serious accidents are so rare, it is
difficult to quantify the difference in safety between an upright which
DOES have very good visibility and a recumbent which has reduced
visibility AND reduced ability of the recumbent rider to see forward.

This is hard to quantify, but the recumbent has a high "what the heck is
that factor" which attracts more attention.

Agreed but that is AFTER it has been spotted.

But the problem is less often being seen than being noticed.
Motorcycle sidecar outfits get a similar benefit.

What Is A Recumbent Bicycle? [email protected] Recumbent Biking 15 July 31st 08 08:46 AM
The Bicycle Tree Don Whybrow UK 4 May 21st 07 10:59 PM
FA: THULE TRUNK/HATCH MOUNTED bicycle rack, cheap Bologna Sandwich Marketplace 0 November 5th 05 11:27 PM
FS Thule Trunk Mounted Bicycle Rack [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 26th 05 08:53 AM
Home made unicycle for long distance: Making a uni from a bicycle. Mike McDermott Unicycling 15 December 5th 03 12:24 PM