newbie needs advice

Old September 2nd 03, 03:00 PM
Joshua Goldberg

Default newbie needs advice

That Hydro Power facility you mention would be Thompson, Manitoba. I am
amazed anyone that far North would get bent. Thompson has more Polar Bears
walking around free than anywhere else in Canada. Over the years I have
heard of a few bent cyclists in Saskatchewan and Manitoba...but no bents in
stores.
Saskatchewan would be Ideal for bent riding....not a single hill anywhere
and the well paved roads see little car traffic....but it would get boring
fast.

Hope you find the perfect bent....I was thinking, maybe contact Cambie in
Vancouver and see if they'll ship a Recumbini or Recumboni to you. They used
to have a 30 day try before you buy policy and shipping BC to Alta ain't
that costly...about $55.00. A day trip to Vancouver would still be your best
choice.
***********************

"Greg McAllister" wrote in message
Thanks for all the replies both to the group and my email !

Greg

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
m...
"Joshua Goldberg" wrote in message

Not sure about this different shops idea...this is Alta where he lives

and
the selection of recumbent stores Greg could visit is pretty well

limited to
ONE in 1,000 miles in every direction except SW into the USA. Canada

is
vast country with 1/10th the USA population. We have this huge 2,000

mile
stretch of nothing recumbent between Vancouver and Windsor Ontario.

I did a week long organized ride in North Dakota (Candisc) several
years ago and there were 3 recumbent cyclists who came down from
Gillam, Manitoba to do the ride. They considered themselves to be in
the Southland in North Dakota as they were from near Hudson Bay. Where
they got their recumbent bicycles from I haven't the foggiest.
Probably mail order. Like all Canadians, they were super strong
cyclists. They said they only had very limited roads up there on which
to ride their bikes. They all worked in a power plant facility
(hydro).

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old September 16th 03, 04:12 AM
Sticker Jim

"Greg McAllister" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I live just south of Calgary Alberta (in redneck cattle country where
F350 dually's are more the order of the day than anything human powered. I
am very interested in getting a recumbent and tried out a Burley Caito

back
in Ontario a couple months ago. It was a blast to ride, but dropping

$2600+
dollars is not something I want to do till I know that is absolutely the
best bent to buy. So therein lies the problem... how do I test different
bents or at lest feel confident that I'm buying the right bike for me when
they are about as scarce as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs ?
I'd very much appreciate advice from people who have bought and their
experiences. For the record, if anyone cares to recommend, I'm 42, 6'2 and
215 lbs. This is just a hobby for me as I don't see myself commuting the
60km's each way to work so it should be reasonably priced as well.

TiA

Greg

I'm 6' 2" and weigh(ed) 235 before I started biking with the trikes I built
two months ago. With your height you might have an X-seam around the 48"
like I do, in which case you'll have to go for the stretch versions of the
bikes if their standard sizes don't fit you. I'm just north of Toronto
(near Barrie) and due to a back operation, I can't ride DFs anymore - so
bents and trikes seemed to be the way to go. The only places in Ontario I
could find that sold bents and trikes, had prices that I found to be
prohibitive - so I built some instead. I don't know what your "mechanical"
background is, but the bents/trikes are very easy to build and you have to
really mess the construction up bad, or go for a really radical modification
to make them unrideable. The nice thing is, if you build them, you can mod
them to fit exactly what you want out of a HPV. Any project that doesn't
fit the bill can be sold/recycled/given away and you start again. After 2
months and a few hundred K on the trikes, I pretty much know what I need to
make a ride comfortable for me, and I have 3 or 4 ideas I want to try out
for bents. While homebuilt bikes might seem indtimidating, it really is
much easier than it appears, there are a myriad of resources on the net, and
the skills you have/develope will come in handy for many more areas than
just building bikes. Some of the BMX modded bents can be built in a matter
of hours.