Cycle Training Consultation

Old July 10th 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Tom Crispin

Default Cycle Training Consultation

As promised two weeks ago, here is the data on a cycle training
consultation I conducted with parents of children aged 5, 6 and 7.

I sent a consultation letter to 120 parents:

==========================

Dear Year 1 and 2 Parents,

Continued funding from Transport for London means that National
Standard Level 1 cycle training can be given to all Year 2 and 3
pupils as part of the PE curriculum. The proposal is that Year 3
pupils will be given the training during the Autumn Term 2006 and Year
2 pupils during the Summer Term 2007.

If the project goes ahead, all children who cannot yet ride a bike
will be taught to ride a bike, either in the Autumn Term or Summer
Term. The classes will be divided into groups of 15 and each group
will be given two full afternoon playground cycle training lessons.
The school will provide bicycles.

The Level 1 cycle training can be followed up with Level 2, on-road
cycle training, in Year 4 and Level 3, advanced on-road cycling, in
Year 6.

Please complete the slip below to indicate your child's level of
cycling proficiency and any comments you have about the proposal.

Many thanks,

Tom Crispin

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Name of Child ___________________________________

Level of cycling proficiency:

Never ridden a bike

Can ride a bike with stabilisers

Can ride a bike for at least 10 metres

Comments on the proposal:

=======================

Statistical results:

83 of 120 parents responded to the consultation.

70% of children can ride a bike.
25% can ride with stabalisers.
5% have never ridden a bike.

In the comments section:
47 parents were positive about the proposal.
12 parents were neither positive or negative.
No parent was negative about the proposal.[1]
24 parents made no comment.

Examples of positive comments:
Excellent!
A great idea - all children should be taught to ride a bike.
I couldn't ride a bike till I was 20. I'm very pleased.
I hope you are ready for an enthusiastic learner!
Can Jordi have level 2 training?
We are moving back to our country with Ho-Lee so he will miss this
great opportunity.[1]

Examples of neutral comments (pseudomyns used).
Jodi pedals backwards.
Jason can ride for more than 10 metres.
Jack will need to be challenged.
Jane has weak legs and it may take longer for her to learn.

[1] This coment could be interpreted as negative, but the parent was
clearly in favour of the project.
Old July 12th 06, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Tunku

Tom Crispin wrote in
:

snips a load of ********

When I was a kid, we learnt to cycle and did it for fun. Dads taught us,
and Mums patched us up. End of story.

--
Tunku

"end user" v. A command regrettably not implemented in most systems.

Old July 12th 06, 06:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Tom Crispin

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:37:05 -0500, Tunku
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote in
:

snips a load of ********

When I was a kid, we learnt to cycle and did it for fun. Dads taught us,
and Mums patched us up. End of story.

I expect yours is the gereration who cycle on pavements and openly
flout red lights. ;-)
Old July 12th 06, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Peter Clinch

Tunku wrote:

When I was a kid, we learnt to cycle and did it for fun. Dads taught us,
and Mums patched us up. End of story.

"End of story" being a case in point: it doesn't happen nearly so much
any more, because bicycle use has become much less of a culture amongst
both kids and their parents.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old July 12th 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wheelist

Peter Clinch Wrote:
"End of story" being a case in point: it doesn't happen nearly so much
any more, because bicycle use has become much less of a culture amongst
both kids and their parents.
..

as a direct result of the increase in cars, and highlighting the need
for more coaching to give kids the confidence to get out on their bikes
more.

Wheelist

--
wheelist

Old July 12th 06, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ambrose Nankivell

wheelist wrote:
Peter Clinch Wrote:
"End of story" being a case in point: it doesn't happen nearly so
much any more, because bicycle use has become much less of a culture
amongst both kids and their parents.
..

as a direct result of the increase in cars, and highlighting the need
for more coaching to give kids the confidence to get out on their
bikes more.

To give the parents the confidence to let their children do things
independently, IMHO.

Old July 12th 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Steve Firth

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:37:05 -0500, Tunku wrote:

When I was a kid, we learnt to cycle and did it for fun. Dads taught us,
and Mums patched us up.

Did you use jumpers for goalposts?
Old July 13th 06, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Clive George

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:37:05 -0500, Tunku wrote:

When I was a kid, we learnt to cycle and did it for fun. Dads taught us,
and Mums patched us up.

Did you use jumpers for goalposts?

Who didn't?

(do posh kids use polo shirts rather than jumpers?)

clive

Old July 13th 06, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Brimstone

In ,
JNugent said:
Clive George wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:37:05 -0500, Tunku wrote:

When I was a kid, we learnt to cycle and did it for fun. Dads
taught us, and Mums patched us up.

Did you use jumpers for goalposts?

Who didn't?
(do posh kids use polo shirts rather than jumpers?)

Benetton sweaters.

Quite. It's simply not done to play polo when not wearing one's shirt.

Cycle warriors cfsmtb Australia 4 July 6th 06 08:55 PM
Bicycle is king of the road as gas costs rise cfsmtb Australia 14 May 9th 06 12:35 AM
Cycle Training Bid Tilly UK 7 September 25th 05 09:21 AM
Adult Cycle Training in Redhill area David Martin UK 2 July 17th 05 05:58 PM
Adult Cycle Training in Redhill area David Martin UK 0 July 17th 05 12:40 PM