Like it or not, ComandanteBanana keeps posting to Usenet.

Old July 19th 09, 06:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default the most problematic states are Florida and Alaska, for differentreasons, and then, of course, Texas

On Jul 18, 8:55*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

On Jul 18, 6:39 am, Harry Brogan wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:14:25 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
[...]
This is the LONG WAY... The QUICK WAY is to make every bike entitled
to the lane, and the cars better overtake them on the other lane --or
else smile for the cameras.

Bikes and motor vehicles need their own lanes entirely separated from
one
another by physical barriers. Otherwise you are just whistling Dixie!

I can agree with that. *After all, I have NEVER been hit by a car
while actually ON a bike path. *But I have been hit by one while
trying to cross a street. *And no it doesn't feel that good.- Hide quoted
text -

Yes, it gotta hurt...

http://snopes.com/photos/accident/bikerace.asp

That picture has been posted several times on these cycling newsgroups and
serves to remind us all of how vulnerable we are on the roads with motor
vehicles. I will no longer ride my bike on high speed highways with no
shoulders. Way too dangerous. I must have a shoulder or else the traffic has
to be nonexistent.

Bike lanes without physical separators are no solution at all. Motorists
will veer into bike lanes without giving it a second thought if it suits
their convenience.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka
Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota- Hide quoted text -

Yeah Big Ed, I'm riding some road now, but mostly we would depend on a
car to take a bike somewhere safe, like most Americans out there.

Hey, by the way, here are some of the worst states (in my opinion) to
ride a bike...

Originally Posted by balindamood
"I have been commuting year round in Anchorage for five years now,
even with our annual 5-months of poor road conditions, and I love it.
It has its problems, but from a bicycle perspective, it beats
everywhere I have lived before (Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia,
Massachusetts, Kansas City, Minnesota, North Dakota, and most
certainly...Texas).

Stay in Miami, or Kentucky, Boise, or wherever if you want. At 650,000
people in the entire state, it is starting to feel a bit crowded
anyway."

***

Thank you for not encouraging me to go over...

Anyways it seems the most problematic states are Florida and Alaska,
for different reasons, and then, of course, Texas...

Alaska is the Last Frontier and it got too many gold diggers or oil
diggers whatever.

Florida is the Deep South, and some people are subhuman, specially
broke people and cyclists.

And Texas...

Originally Posted by mlts22
"Ironically, there was a bill that almost got passed in Texas that
would require 3 feet passing distance, six for commercial vehicles
between a cyclist and other traffic, but it was explicitly vetoed.
This is the second time this type of bill hit the floors of Texas's
lawmakers too."

***

Well, I think Texas is still considered part of the Wild West.

It'll get to pass though when lawmakers ride bikes too --if ever.
Old July 19th 09, 10:20 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
On Jul 18, 8:55 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]
That picture has been posted several times on these cycling newsgroups and
serves to remind us all of how vulnerable we are on the roads with motor
vehicles. I will no longer ride my bike on high speed highways with no
shoulders. Way too dangerous. I must have a shoulder or else the traffic
has
to be nonexistent.

Bike lanes without physical separators are no solution at all. Motorists
will veer into bike lanes without giving it a second thought if it suits
their convenience.

[...]

It is too much work to get your post looking right as it appears on my
computer, so just allow me to comment on those 3 states that you mention in
your message.

Florida.

The state is a disaster because Americans are wealthy enough to move to
wherever they think it is warm. The only solution is for Americans to become
as poor as most third world peoples. Poverty encourages roots.

Texas.

The only part of Texas I ever liked was the Big Bend country. You can't even
live in much of Texas (Houston for instance) unless you are behind an air
conditioner for most of the year.

Alaska.

Yes, I suppose the Last Frontier, but with 20th century technology behind
you, what does it matter. Most Alaskans have to live behind their furnaces
for most of the year. Not even Eskimos live like Eskimos anymore.

What is wrong with all 3 states is the rootlessness of most Americans. It
would be better if we were all more rooted. I am looking forward to Obama
making us all as poor as a church mouse. Then maybe we will stay put.
Poverty encourages roots.

Old July 19th 09, 11:43 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Jul 19, 5:20*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

Sorry for the confusing post but you get the point of it.

Many valuable insights, particularly about poverty encouraging
roots... and also bikes. Yes, wealth feeds SUVs and tough times
encourages bikes because they allow you to live on peanuts.

But a strong middle class can afford good bikes and have more time for
recreation. Everybody wins but the very greedy.

Old July 20th 09, 05:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default WELCOME GLOBAL WARMING

Originally Posted by High Roller
"We've been hitting the triple digits here in Boise of late, and I'm
ready to go back up to Anchorage, at least for the next couple months.
Incredibly great summers up there."

Here in Miami, we have been having unheard-of temperatures, reaching
109 degrees with heat index this weekend, so WELCOME GLOBAL WARMING.

But we are still working hard in this city to accelarate climate
change while actively fighting anyone who dares to do something like
riding a bike.

Just this morning I rode 2 miles on this hellish road, and a car
blasted the horn... I just stopped meaning to get off the bike and
walk it, but he went around me and kept going.

Then I bumped into this friend of mine, also a cyclist, and he told me
he nearly died two days ago. A lady cut him off turning right and he
was saved by a split second and hard braking.

But life in the jungle keeps on going and the monkeys keep marching on
toward self-destruction...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15KgyXBX24

The 3 C's of successful monkeys... Communicate, Coordinate, Cooperate.

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

What is Usenet for? Simon Brooke UK 0 December 28th 07 10:21 AM
Reading/posting on usenet rbm and rbt Joshua Lee Techniques 14 March 22nd 05 04:08 AM
Reading/posting on usenet rbm and rbt Joshua Lee Marketplace 8 March 21st 05 07:51 PM