Negative press

Old September 10th 03, 03:18 PM
Markku Poysti

Default Negative press

Here in Finland they showed similar things on tv about an intersection
with a stopsign for cyclists. The funny thing was that there is only
one or two intersections with stopsign for cyclists in the whole 1
million people city area... makes you wonder why it was picked as
example.

Old September 10th 03, 08:11 PM
Mike

Here in Massachusetts USA no one seems to stop at stop signs. That bicyclist
who is running the stop sign on the bike is also doing it in a car.

Solution obey the traffic laws period.

Old September 14th 03, 10:00 PM
Jim Verheul

So, how was the meeting?

JV

"Dave Harney" wrote in message
The point is that most of us that wear funny shoes do obey the traffic

laws.
This Town Chairman is providing moral justification to the bike-hostile
motorists who endanger our lives everyday. All of us who wear Lycra have
been lumped into a law-breaker or "renegade" category. Currently, in
Wisconsin, bicycles are consider valid vehicles under the law for using
public roads. These types of news stories are usually encouraged by

groups
that view cyclists as a mere nuisance factor for motorists. They would

like
to change the law to get bikes off the roads.

Certainly, we should all obey traffic laws and our club is a strong

advocate
of doing just that. This type of article does little to promote overall
safety for cyclists and motorist sharing the same roads. What is needed

at
the intersection in question in the article is some better signs for
motorists to slow down and some brush cleared for better visibility. The
more important issue is the one of raising awareness about cycles as valid
users of public roads - even if they wear funny shoes. I'd like to see a
healthy problem solving attitude instead of just more law enforcement in a
dubious situation.

"MLB" wrote in message
. 4.25...
"Dave Harney" wrote in
:

Read the article - I'm sure you will be amused (and ****ed). This is
all about a nice paved trail that reverts to public roads for a short
distance. The public roads in question have very infrequent car
traffic - maybe a couple an hour. I'm going to the board meeting -
any suggestions?

Obey the traffic laws?

Old September 16th 03, 02:50 AM
Dave Harney

I think it went fairly well. Besides the town board, the county and
sheriff's office reps were there. I spoke at some length about the issue.
The chairman insisted he was misquoted and did not intend to target people
like me in his law enforcement campaign. I suspect that my comments and
another biker's "letter to the editor" were educational for the town board.
Actually, the county folks seemed to understand the issues much better than
the town or sheriff folks. All-in-all, I'm glad I spoke up as a number of
people approached me after the meeting and voiced agreement with my remarks.

"Jim Verheul" wrote in message
news
[...]

"MLB" wrote in message
. 4.25...