The Unwritten Rules Of The Road (not for cyclists)

Old May 24th 09, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Default The Unwritten Rules Of The Road (not for cyclists)

David Hansen wrote:

"Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote this:

Section 160.

Already discussed a little while ago and the flaws of the trolls
position pointed out.

TRANSLATION:

We know Rule 160; but we don't like it so we ignore it, though we reserve the
right to bitterly criticise drivers for breach of any other of the Highway
Code rules - or even for obeying them if we don't like that either.

HTH

UK Highway Code - Rule 160 (in full):

STARTQUOTE:
Once moving you should

* keep to the left, unless road signs or markings indicate otherwise.
The exceptions are when you want to overtake, turn right or pass parked
vehicles or pedestrians in the road
* keep well to the left on right-hand bends. This will improve your view
of the road and help avoid the risk of colliding with traffic approaching
from the opposite direction
* drive with both hands on the wheel where possible. This will help you
to remain in full control of the vehicle at all times
* be aware of other road users, especially cycles and motorcycles who
may be filtering through the traffic. These are more difficult to see than
larger vehicles and their riders are particularly vulnerable. Give them
plenty of room, especially if you are driving a long vehicle or towing a trailer
* select a lower gear before you reach a long downhill slope. This will
help to control your speed
* when towing, remember the extra length will affect overtaking and
manoeuvring. The extra weight will also affect the braking and acceleration
ENDQUOTE
Old May 24th 09, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

John Dunlop wrote:

JNugent:

[re "keep to the left", Highway Code, rule 160]

I'm afraid that that has already been pointed out here, quite recently.
But apparently, the HC has to be read ironically... or something.

"Keep to the left" is straightforward, isn't it? What else could it mean?

You tell me. I'm just the messenger on this occasion.
Old May 24th 09, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

Alistair Gunn wrote:

Hmm ... Some of the even less generous ones seem to to think that seeing
as how your handlebars can overhand the pavement with your wheels still
in the road you don't even need that much room!

and causes embarrasing moments like hooking a pedestrian's Tesco bag
from thier hand - no injuries but one of those close things that both
parties actually found amusing after the initial 'bloody hell!'.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 24th 09, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

JNugent wrote:

* keep to the left
* keep well to the left

Thanks - I thought there was something about what 'left' actually meant.
It doesn't mean 'ride in the gutter' it means ride a bit out from the
gutter.
Keeping well to the left means 'not quite in the crap'

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 24th 09, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In article ,
Keith T wrote:
Alistair Gunn wrote:

Hmm ... Some of the even less generous ones seem to to think that seeing
as how your handlebars can overhand the pavement with your wheels still
in the road you don't even need that much room!

and causes embarrasing moments like hooking a pedestrian's Tesco bag
from thier hand - no injuries but one of those close things that both
parties actually found amusing after the initial 'bloody hell!'.

That's not amusing to elderly cyclists, and ones like me. Coming off
(and that is a near-certainty) is not good news for any woman past
menopause or any elderly man. And it's pretty risky for many others.

Admittedly, there is no way that the handlebars on my bicycle would
hook a shopping bag - not at 4' above the ground - but clipping a
shoulder is even more serious.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old May 24th 09, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Gerhard

JNugent wrote:
David Hansen wrote:

"Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote this:

[...]

You can keep quoting all you like as it does not say keep to the left of
the lane. Rule 160 does not in any way say you should ride in the gutter
or that there is any reason not to adopt "Primary Position". It just
does not support your view that cyclists don't like the rule. It is
*your* interpretation that is the problem.

Now how "selecting a lower gear" will help a cyclist on a long down hill
I look forward to hearing or for that matter keeping my hands on the
"wheel" seems like those parts were not written for cyclists. I assume
nor was the "keep well to the left" advice either.
Old May 24th 09, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:45:22 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

"Judith M Smith" wrote in message

Plenty of times I've approached a pinch point with a car behind me. This
type of road calming has a priority to vehicles approaching you command
and
also a keep right sign on a bollard advising you not to use the small
channel to the left of the bollard. I have been shouted at for obeying the
keep right sign by drivers who want to overtake me on the pinch point.

What is the purpose of the small channel to the left of the bollard?

Who cares? It says to keep right of it, so I do.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Care to explain further - is it marked that it is for cyclists?

--
Posts from IP Address: 80.254.146.36 to URC over 6 years = 7

Guy Chapman : 5
Lou Knee: 2

Coincidence or nym shift?

(Guy does not deny all 7 were from him)