Glasses and Rain

Old November 21st 13, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Glasses and Rain

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:00:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
try a baseball cap, yellow/day glo orange see WALMART hunting eg and yellow shooters clip on from Emigsville, Yorktowne Optical.

a Goretex hat is desirable but not available with a long bill....see SUNDAY AFTERNOONS hats and hats CAMPMOR.COM or REI

......WET TOBACCO WIPED ACROSS GLASS inhibits haze formation
Old November 21st 13, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:48:23 AM UTC-6, davethedave wrote:
As Mr Jay Beattie mentioned somewhere up there ↑

"with the rain on my glasses and on-coming head lights, I can't see a

f****** thing on my way home from work."

Being a glasses wearer myself I have experienced this darkened, smeary

light point filled, focus free, terror trip home.

Is there any thing to be done about it other than get contacts?

Has anyone tried rainex or other on their glasses?

--

davethedave

When I got back into cycling in the 90s, wearing glasses in the rain, or on cooler days, was a real pain. The more I tried to wipe the lenses clean, the worse they got. I started wearing cycling caps under the helmet, and the rain problem pretty much went away. I still get a short time fog problem at stop lights, in cooler weather, but once I get rolling again, the fog disappears. When I wore contacts, the glasses I wore for eye protection did the same thing.
Old November 21st 13, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Riding here on the Gulf side southern Florida home of the Coke Congressman eyehahhahhahahhahh roooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllll another one..

I digress.

Jesus, does it rain. Columnar thunderstorms: 20 acres of deluge.

A Wal ball cap keeps rain off glasses. zap.

the anti mist is available thru WAL ? but read Back Pucker...

https://www.google.com/#q=fog%20free...sses%20cleaner

yellow clip-ons reduce oncoming auto lights, and that flare, but keep close inroad view intact.

Old November 21st 13, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 11/20/2013 09:48 AM, davethedave wrote:
As Mr Jay Beattie mentioned somewhere up there ↑

"with the rain on my glasses and on-coming head lights, I can't see a
f****** thing on my way home from work."

Being a glasses wearer myself I have experienced this darkened, smeary
light point filled, focus free, terror trip home.

Is there any thing to be done about it other than get contacts?

Has anyone tried rainex or other on their glasses?

Get new lenses. I had the same problem for years; when I finally broke
down and got fitted for a new set of glasses, the new ones had
polycarbonate lenses with an anti-reflective coating (highly
recommended) and the coating also apparently acts similar to Rain-X.
Much improved when caught in the rain. They still do fog up
occasionally though e.g. when going into an air-conditioned building in
the summertime; not much to be done about that I'm afraid.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 21st 13, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Riding here on the Gulf side southern Florida home of the Coke Congressman eyehahhahhahahhahh roooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllll another one..

I digress.

Jesus, does it rain. Columnar thunderstorms: 20 acres of deluge.

A Wal ball cap keeps rain off glasses. zap.

the anti mist is available thru WAL ? but read Back Pucker...

https://www.google.com/#q=fog%20free...sses%20cleaner

yellow clip-ons reduce oncoming auto lights, and that flare, but keep close inroad view intact.

Opti-mist, in the google shopper, claims to be a NASA product copy....

Old November 21st 13, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 11/21/2013 9:48 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I have lenses like this and they do seem better but I find only when the
weather is warm. On cooler rainy rides they don't seem to help much.

Old November 21st 13, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:48:12 AM UTC-8, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I need a new pair of glasses, and I've been thinking about the anti-glare coating, but it's one of those expensive add-ons that I've often skipped in the past. I'll bite the bullet this time. If I get fogging problems, I use one of the many anti-fog preparations in my arsenal of ski equipment. I've never tried RainX though.

Frank, it's dry all the rest of the week, but it's cold -- not Mid West cold, but cold for us PNWers. This is kind of bad news because it means no snow in the mountains.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 21st 13, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:23:54 AM UTC-5, Jay Beattie wrote:

I need a new pair of glasses, and I've been thinking about the anti-glare coating, but it's one of those expensive add-ons that I've often skipped in the past. I'll bite the bullet this time. If I get fogging problems, I use one of the many anti-fog preparations in my arsenal of ski equipment. I've never tried RainX though.

FWIW, I got an anti-reflective coating on my most recent pair of glasses. I haven't noticed any difference in the rain. I just tested them under a spray faucet, and there's definitely no "beading" of the water. Maybe different brands of anti-reflection behave differently?

The stuff has actually been a bit of an irritation for me. The difference I notice most is that the glasses seem much more difficult to keep clean. In particular, just wiping with a dry tissue (the way I've done it for decades) is no longer sufficient. I _must_ use the little glass cleaning spritzer, or get out the Dawn detergent.

Frank, it's dry all the rest of the week, but it's cold -- not Mid West cold, but cold for us PNWers. This is kind of bad news because it means no snow in the mountains.

We've got 45 degrees and light rain. Looks like Portland out my window. Except fewer visible tattoos.

- Frank Krygowski

Cycling in the rain with glasses ... gah! Richard Thrippleton UK 76 October 27th 08 03:47 PM
FS: Smith glasses Oskar Marketplace 1 March 30th 06 02:40 PM
FS: Sun Glasses Oskar Marketplace 2 October 15th 05 02:19 PM
FA: Skinsuit/Glasses John Verheul Marketplace 0 February 27th 05 04:03 AM
Riding in the rain with glasses - ideas? slugbath Unicycling 14 November 25th 04 03:08 AM