Eliminate time trial and aero bikes from racing.

Old June 13th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

Default Eliminate time trial and aero bikes from racing.

I think there are several reasons why this would be a good idea.

1. Allows better comparisons across the spectrum of cyclists
2. Lowers the entry barrier for equal participation
3. Allows rider to stage race without excessive transport costs

Of course the industry makes a lot of money from aero equipment so
it's an uphill battle but for me there's something pure and true about
a road bike.

Old June 13th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Jun 13, 2:25*pm, Anton Berlin wrote:
*I think there are several reasons why this would be a good idea.

1. *Allows better comparisons across the spectrum of cyclists
2. *Lowers the entry barrier for equal participation
3. *Allows rider to stage race without excessive transport costs

Of course the industry makes a lot of money from aero equipment so
it's an uphill battle but for me there's something pure and true about
a road bike.

Wouldn't you imagine that any elite racer with an actual honest to
goodness chance to win and who is traveling to stage races doesn't buy
their own bikes?
Old June 13th 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Jun 13, 4:42*pm, Scott wrote:
On Jun 13, 2:25*pm, Anton Berlin wrote:

*I think there are several reasons why this would be a good idea.

1. *Allows better comparisons across the spectrum of cyclists
2. *Lowers the entry barrier for equal participation
3. *Allows rider to stage race without excessive transport costs

Of course the industry makes a lot of money from aero equipment so
it's an uphill battle but for me there's something pure and true about
a road bike.

Wouldn't you imagine that any elite racer with an actual honest to
goodness chance to win and who is traveling to stage races doesn't buy
their own bikes?

I know they either have them, buy them or sponsor provides. But what
about the guy trying to move up? The system shouldn't be rigged
against open competition. As is, it is.
Old June 14th 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

On Jun 13, 1:25*pm, Anton Berlin wrote:
*I think there are several reasons why this would be a good idea.

1. *Allows better comparisons across the spectrum of cyclists
2. *Lowers the entry barrier for equal participation
3. *Allows rider to stage race without excessive transport costs

Of course the industry makes a lot of money from aero equipment so
it's an uphill battle but for me there's something pure and true about
a road bike.

Dumbass -

I watched a triathlon on Universal Sports today and since they now
allow drafting, all the Tri-Freds were riding with road bike bars.

I was switching between that race and the Tour de Suisse on Versus and
the difference in bike handling skills is startling.

Triathlon would be more interesting if they switched the order to:
swim, run, bike.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
Old June 14th 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
NoDannyNo

On Jun 13, 4:25*pm, Anton Berlin wrote:
*I think there are several reasons why this would be a good idea.

1. *Allows better comparisons across the spectrum of cyclists
2. *Lowers the entry barrier for equal participation
3. *Allows rider to stage race without excessive transport costs

Of course the industry makes a lot of money from aero equipment so
it's an uphill battle but for me there's something pure and true about
a road bike.

Get rid of derailleurs, pneumatic tires, and "lycra-spandex" as well
and you'll really have something there.
Old June 14th 10, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark J.

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni. wrote:
On Jun 13, 1:25 pm, Anton Berlin wrote:
I think there are several reasons why this would be a good idea.

1. Allows better comparisons across the spectrum of cyclists
2. Lowers the entry barrier for equal participation
3. Allows rider to stage race without excessive transport costs

Of course the industry makes a lot of money from aero equipment so
it's an uphill battle but for me there's something pure and true about
a road bike.

Dumbass -

I watched a triathlon on Universal Sports today and since they now
allow drafting, all the Tri-Freds were riding with road bike bars.

I was switching between that race and the Tour de Suisse on Versus and
the difference in bike handling skills is startling.

Triathlon would be more interesting if they switched the order to:
swim, run, bike.

The story is told of a triathlon once held in the order run, bike, swim.
"DNF" meant "Did Not Float."

Mark J.
Old June 14th 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
B. Lafferty[_3_]

On 6/13/2010 7:25 PM, NoDannyNo wrote:
On Jun 13, 4:25 pm, Anton wrote:
I think there are several reasons why this would be a good idea.

1. Allows better comparisons across the spectrum of cyclists
2. Lowers the entry barrier for equal participation
3. Allows rider to stage race without excessive transport costs

Of course the industry makes a lot of money from aero equipment so
it's an uphill battle but for me there's something pure and true about
a road bike.

Get rid of derailleurs, pneumatic tires, and "lycra-spandex" as well
and you'll really have something there.

Two words. Wool. Chamois (the real kind that gets stiff between rides).
Old June 14th 10, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Jun 13, 6:25*pm, NoDannyNo wrote:
On Jun 13, 4:25*pm, Anton Berlin wrote:

*I think there are several reasons why this would be a good idea.

1. *Allows better comparisons across the spectrum of cyclists
2. *Lowers the entry barrier for equal participation
3. *Allows rider to stage race without excessive transport costs

Of course the industry makes a lot of money from aero equipment so
it's an uphill battle but for me there's something pure and true about
a road bike.

Get rid of derailleurs, pneumatic tires, and "lycra-spandex" as well
and you'll really have something there.

This isn't an anti-tech rant, it's more of a democratic one. They've
eliminated aero bikes from the hour (at least the one that counts)
many aero features from mass starts, radios, and minimum weight
limits.

The thought isn't out of line.
Old June 14th 10, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

On Jun 13, 7:25*pm, NoDannyNo wrote:
On Jun 13, 4:25*pm, Anton Berlin wrote:

*I think there are several reasons why this would be a good idea.

1. *Allows better comparisons across the spectrum of cyclists
2. *Lowers the entry barrier for equal participation
3. *Allows rider to stage race without excessive transport costs

Of course the industry makes a lot of money from aero equipment so
it's an uphill battle but for me there's something pure and true about
a road bike.

Get rid of derailleurs, pneumatic tires, and "lycra-spandex" as well
and you'll really have something there.

and plus fours and pipe smoking.
Old June 14th 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Jun 13, 6:21*pm, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."
wrote:
[...]

Actually, it looks like they are already making this a reality.
Page 42

http://www.usacycling.org/forms/USAC_rulebook-1.pdf

(h) Time trial events may restrict the competitors to mass-start
bicycles in one or more classes, provided that the restriction is
stated in the race announcement and technical guide. This includes
time trials in stage races.