French bicycle parts compatibility

Old July 30th 04, 07:38 PM
Tim McNamara

Default French bicycle parts compatibility

Steve-o writes:

Hi,

When did French bike makers move away from using French threaded
parts and start using "standard" parts, if ever?

AFAIK the French use international standards now and have done so for
probably 20 years.

My friend has just offered me his late 80's/early 90's mid-level
Gitane. I don't have it in my posession yet, but I'd like to think
about how I can customize the bike before I actually pick it up from
him. Knowing what parts I can swap will help my mind wander.

By that time frame. I'd be surprised if it used French threads and
tubing diameters. But if not:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html

All I know about the bike is that it was indeed made in France, has
700c wheels, and has Shimano 6-speed downtube indexed shifting. My
friend is not a bike person and is no help in this matter.

And more information at the encycleopedic M. Brown's:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kunich.html

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fren-eng.html
Old July 30th 04, 08:00 PM
Phil Brown

My friend has just offered me his late 80's/early 90's mid-level
Gitane. I don't have it in my posession yet, but I'd like to think
about how I can customize the bike before I actually pick it up from
him. Knowing what parts I can swap will help my mind wander.

By that time frame. I'd be surprised if it used French threads and
tubing diameters. But if not:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html

Your major potential problem is the stem. French bikes used a 22mm quill vs.
22.2 for the rest of the world. The 0.2mm makes a big difference. Measure it
with calipers. BB threading isn't a big problem. If it's French you can use
Phil Wood rings with a Shimano UN72 bracket available at any shop. You'll have
to order the rings. It has a Shimano RD so the issue of threaded vs.
non-threaded derailleur hanger won't be a problem. Seat posts aren't a problem
because mountain bikes use French diameter posts. Bottom line, if you like it
ride it.
Phil Brown
Old July 31st 04, 02:15 AM
James Thomson

"Tim McNamara" wrote:

AFAIK the French use international standards now and have
done so for probably 20 years.

The most modern French-threaded component I can positively date is a Mavic
SSC French-threaded crank, date-stamped 1988. I don't think I've seen
French threading on anything newer.

James Thomson

Old July 31st 04, 06:46 AM
Tim McNamara

"James Thomson" writes:

"Tim McNamara" wrote:

AFAIK the French use international standards now and have done so
for probably 20 years.

The most modern French-threaded component I can positively date is a
Mavic SSC French-threaded crank, date-stamped 1988. I don't think
I've seen French threading on anything newer.

A good data point. Hmmm, TA still makes an excellent quality quill
pedal- is that available with French threads? Does anyone know?
Old July 31st 04, 10:39 AM
James Thomson

"Tim McNamara" wrote:

Hmmm, TA still makes an excellent quality quill pedal - is
that available with French threads? Does anyone know?

The TA site is back up after a long absence, and the pedals are listed as
available in French threading:

http://www.specialites-ta.com/produits/trans.htm

The cranks, on the other hand, only come English-threaded.

James Thomson

Old July 31st 04, 09:49 PM
Tim McNamara

"James Thomson" writes:

"Tim McNamara" wrote:

Hmmm, TA still makes an excellent quality quill pedal - is that
available with French threads? Does anyone know?

The TA site is back up after a long absence, and the pedals are
listed as available in French threading:

http://www.specialites-ta.com/produits/trans.htm

The cranks, on the other hand, only come English-threaded.

Ah, thanks! A bit of backwards compatability in the pedals, then, but
the cranks are not. Probably just as well.
Old August 1st 04, 01:51 AM
Phil Brown

The TA site is back up after a long absence, and the pedals are
listed as available in French threading:

Not really. recent buyers note that the threading is a sort of weird ISO/French
hybrid useable for both.
Phil Brown
Old August 2nd 04, 04:48 AM
A Muzi

Phil Brown wrote:
Not really. recent buyers note that the threading is a sort of weird ISO/French
hybrid useable for both.

Does anyone think that's a good idea? Sounds less than ideal
to me. Since it's so trivially simple to bring 14mm cranks
out to a crisp 9/16", why bother with a compromised low thread?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old August 2nd 04, 06:25 AM
Phil Brown

Does anyone think that's a good idea? Sounds less than ideal
to me. Since it's so trivially simple to bring 14mm cranks
out to a crisp 9/16", why bother with a compromised low thread?

Dunno, Andrew, but that's how they seem to be.
Phil Brown
Old August 3rd 04, 12:35 AM
James Thomson

"Phil Brown" wrote:

Not really. recent buyers note that the threading is a sort
of weird ISO/French hybrid useable for both.

How recent is recent? I bought a pair about a year ago that were marked
9/16" x 20tpi, and fit like 9/16" x 20tpi. I'll pull them and measure when
I get a moment.

Was the thread type marked on your informants' pedals? Is this an
acknowledged change from TA? How well do you trust your informants?

James Thomson