tourer question

Old August 6th 03, 06:24 AM
Spencer Bullen

Default tourer question

Greetings,

you answered your own question about compatibility. Shimano STI's don't
pull the same amount of cable to work V's as effectively. A few companies
have produced adapters that help, but these tend to be a bit of a bodge.
Dawes specced them on their 1-down series of tourers for a while, but I
think they gave up. That said, Avid now make mechanical disc brakes that
work with STI's, and I've seen them on a few cyclo-cross bikes, so maybe
they're the way of the future. On tourers you'd have to make sure they
don't interfere with pannier racks though.

T.T.F.N.

SPENNY

"Mark Potter" wrote in message
okay so heres a silly question

ive recently joined my local CTC and I notice that all the touring bikes
that come along have cantilever brakes, so my question is why don't they

put
v-brakes on tourers (or is it just cos of the brake levers not being
compatible?) they seem so much more powerful on my mountain bike compared

cantis?
Mark

Old August 6th 03, 06:56 AM
Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee

On tourers you'd have to make sure they
don't interfere with pannier racks though.

and maybe the disks would be susceptible to a bang on an airplane etc.??

Old August 6th 03, 08:46 AM
Peter Clinch

Mark Potter wrote:
okay so heres a silly question

ive recently joined my local CTC and I notice that all the touring bikes
that come along have cantilever brakes, so my question is why don't they put
v-brakes on tourers (or is it just cos of the brake levers not being
compatible?) they seem so much more powerful on my mountain bike compared to
cantis?

Have a look at the Dawes Sardar tourer and you'll find V-brakes. And
it's not the only one. I think tourers often have cantis because that's
what people expect to find on tourers, and a large chunk of the market
are conservative. The Sardar, being "radical" (i.e., it has 26" wheels
and a compact frame and isn't dark green) is presumably aimed at
slightly more experimental folk!

My tourer, a Streetmachine GT recumbent, has V brakes as standard. As
extra cost options you can have hydraulic rim brakes or a choice of 4
different disc systems. Cantis don't feature.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old August 6th 03, 11:37 AM
Peter Clinch

W K wrote:

So does my (cough) 26" wheeled flat barred tourer (cough).

So, since it doesn't have drops *or* 700c wheels, it's a pretty damn
radical piece of engineering by typical touring standards! What's
*really* different from Standard Touring Spec about my Streetmachine,
however, is it's a really bright colour! ;-) (fire engine red does seem
to be allowable in these progressive times...)

Pete.

Old August 6th 03, 11:46 AM
Clive George

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
(fire engine red does seem
to be allowable in these progressive times...)

Friend had that on his (otherwise trad) tourer back in 1990-ish...

cheers,
clive

Old August 6th 03, 12:28 PM
Mike K Smith

Clive George wrote:

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
(fire engine red does seem
to be allowable in these progressive times...)

Friend had that on his (otherwise trad) tourer back in 1990-ish...

I ordered a custom-built touring bike in 1980 in Post-Office Red (with
white head tube and seat-tube panel and gold lining on the lugs of course).

I'm sure there were lots of trad tourers in bright colours in those days.

Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
Question on use of Yakima BigHorn 4 Bike Rack trailer hitch. Easy question. Thanks, tryitoz Joe Donaldson General 4 March 14th 04 02:08 AM
Newbie USCF question Kurgan Gringioni Racing 39 September 15th 03 06:25 AM
Question for group Thomas Mairs Racing 18 July 25th 03 06:36 AM
Sorry, another stem question Techniques 1 July 10th 03 01:18 AM