why don't more people ride time trial or tri bikes?

Old August 11th 04, 03:28 AM
Damian

Default why don't more people ride time trial or tri bikes?

Hi I have been a commuter cyclist around (120km wk)for most of my life
(42yrs) and always rode a road racing type bike. I moved to Singapore
a few years ago and am now missing the bike and so I am in the market
for a new bike. I had always thought that for a rider who 90% of the
time (or more)rides alone that a time trial style bike would be an
obvious choice for a bike.

So why don't more riders ride time trial or triathalon type bikes? I
presume they are both designed for non drafting type riding. Or are
they there and I not seeing them on the road

thanks
Damian
Old August 11th 04, 03:47 AM
Zoot Katz

10 Aug 2004 19:28:19 -0700,
,
(Damian) wrote:

So why don't more riders ride time trial or triathalon type bikes?

Tight clearances, full aero position, lack of mounting for racks or
fenders make them less than ideal commuter bikes.
--
zk
Old August 11th 04, 04:03 AM
Alan Hoyle

On 10 Aug 2004 19:28:19 -0700, Damian wrote:
Hi I have been a commuter cyclist around (120km wk)for most of my life
(42yrs) and always rode a road racing type bike. I moved to Singapore
a few years ago and am now missing the bike and so I am in the market
for a new bike. I had always thought that for a rider who 90% of the
time (or more)rides alone that a time trial style bike would be an
obvious choice for a bike.

So why don't more riders ride time trial or triathalon type bikes? I
presume they are both designed for non drafting type riding. Or are
they there and I not seeing them on the road

TT bikes don't give you access to brakes in as many hand positions as
road bikes or flat bars. If you're not in a controlled environment,
brake access is probably more important than an efficient aero
position.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
Old August 11th 04, 12:05 PM
gooserider

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
10 Aug 2004 19:28:19 -0700,
,
(Damian) wrote:

So why don't more riders ride time trial or triathalon type bikes?

Tight clearances, full aero position, lack of mounting for racks or
fenders make them less than ideal commuter bikes.
--

Add to that iffy handling and you have a recipe for disaster. :-)

Old August 11th 04, 01:34 PM
Doug Huffman

road racing, time trial and triathlon are specializations of road bikes that
are themselves a specialization of bicycle. With each specialization the
prices go up.

Look at the other side of the dichotomy; mountain-bikes came from paper-boy
bikes and became BMX, ATB, downhill et cetera ad nauseam.

What you do with what you have is more important than what you have.

om...

Old August 12th 04, 07:07 AM
David Reuteler

Damian wrote:
So why don't more riders ride time trial or triathalon type bikes? I
presume they are both designed for non drafting type riding. Or are
they there and I not seeing them on the road

heh, i did commute on one during 2001 from the south side of minneapolis to
plymouth (about 17 miles o/w) 4 days a week. it was all right, kind of fun
actually. that commute had long stretches of uninterrupted flats often
with pretty good winds and that made pretty good use of the bike. i really
grew to like the position (real far forward) .. it suited me pretty well.
i could fly on that bike. my more urban commutes wouldn't have been so
well suited to the bike, but hey ..

i sold the bike to buy a touring bike and now i use the track bike for
commuting. i have a history of using the "wrong" bike to commute.
--
david reuteler

Old August 12th 04, 05:59 PM
Chris BeHanna

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:52:59 +0000, H. M. Leary wrote:

How fast do the pros go on TT bikes?

In this year's TdF prologue, 30mph, averaged over 4 miles.

In the final TT, 25mph, averaged over 30 miles.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer (Remove "allspammersmustdie" before responding.)

I was raised by a pack of wild corn dogs.