The agony of decision...

Old September 24th 03, 05:59 PM
Dave Stallard

Default The agony of decision...

I'm looking to buy a high-end road bike for long day rides. What used
to be called "sport touring", I believe. I want it to be sporty, but
comfortable enough so that it doesn't beat me up. Price (almost) no
object.

So far, I've test ridden

Seven Axiom
Seven Odonata
Serotta Legend Ti
Serotta Legend Ti ST (with carbon seat stays)
DeRosa Neo Primato
Fondriest Status
some beat me/whip me carbon bike from Time

I'm riding a Trek 1220 now. I don't like aluminium except when I'm
climbing a hill and appreciate the lightness; I much prefer the ride of
steel. I was thinking I would just go with Ti, but having ridden the
DeRosa, I'm not so sure. It's amazing how light high-end steel frames
are nowadays.

The Axiom I really liked. The Odonata I expected to like even more, but
I think the results were biased by the test bike being too long for me
(56 cm, whereas I'm 5'10").

I really like the plushness yet zing of the Serotta Legend ST, but
$3,500 for frame and fork - sheesh. Plus, I wonder if that zing might
get to me after while. The regular Legend was too harsh. The Fondriest
was a nice bike (another steel one), but perhaps too much of a racer.

What the hell should I get? Does anybody own any of these and/or have
suggestions?

Dave
Old September 24th 03, 06:14 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Dave: If you're into steel, you might also see if you can run down one of
the new LeMond Zurichs. 853 Reynolds "spine" (headtube, downtube,
chainstays) with carbon across the top. Had the chance to ride one in WI at
a demo, and really didn't want to like it, but found myself thinking "This
bike has a great ride!" My preference, as anybody who reads these
newsgroups knows, remains full carbon-fiber; you'd have a tough time
dragging my 5900 away from me while I'm alive. To me, it rides like the
most unbelievably-light steel frame available, but still doesn't sound
nearly the same (and acoustics, I believe, are the biggest contributor to
what people think they "feel" from one frame material to the other).

In the end, the right bike is the one you'll ride more, and if one of the
bikes you chose has something about it that excites you most, that's
probably the best way to go. Even if it's cosmetics. This assumes, of
course, that all can be made to fit comfortably.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 24th 03, 06:52 PM
Dave Stallard

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

Dave: If you're into steel, you might also see if you can run down one of
the new LeMond Zurichs. 853 Reynolds "spine" (headtube, downtube,
chainstays) with carbon across the top. Had the chance to ride one in WI at
a demo, and really didn't want to like it, but found myself thinking "This
bike has a great ride!" My preference, as anybody who reads these
newsgroups knows, remains full carbon-fiber; you'd have a tough time
dragging my 5900 away from me while I'm alive. To me, it rides like the
most unbelievably-light steel frame available, but still doesn't sound
nearly the same (and acoustics, I believe, are the biggest contributor to
what people think they "feel" from one frame material to the other).

Mike,

Carbon on the top tube only? That's strange. Most of the
carbon/metal bikes I've seen have been either carbon everywhere, with
metal at the junctions (like Serotta Ottrot, Lemond Tete de Course,
Merlin Cielo) or carbon on the seat stays only.

I should try the 5900. It's certainly a popular bike nowadays. I
haven't ridden any carbon yet except the Time, which I didn't like. I
should try Calfee. I'm kind of targeted to custom sizing, esp. if I'm
going to be spending 3K.

So many good bikes, so little storage space. Anybody see the article
on Robin Williams' stable of bikes? I don't envy him his money so much
as I envy him his *garage space*.

Dave
Old September 24th 03, 08:06 PM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:59:31 GMT, ,
Dave Stallard wrote, in part:

I'm looking to buy a high-end road bike for long day rides. What used
to be called "sport touring", I believe. I want it to be sporty, but
comfortable enough so that it doesn't beat me up. Price (almost) no
object.

So far, I've test ridden

Seven Axiom
Seven Odonata
Serotta Legend Ti
Serotta Legend Ti ST (with carbon seat stays)
DeRosa Neo Primato
Fondriest Status
some beat me/whip me carbon bike from Time

I'm riding a Trek 1220 now.:

\snip
What the hell should I get? Does anybody own any of these and/or have
suggestions?

Forget it. You're looking at cookie-cutter bikes. Go custom.

Find a frame-builder you can talk to and start talking. Get exactly
what you want. Buy artisan built bikes or they'll disappear.
--
zk
Old September 24th 03, 08:22 PM
Dave Stallard

Zoot Katz wrote:

Forget it. You're looking at cookie-cutter bikes. Go custom.

Find a frame-builder you can talk to and start talking. Get exactly
what you want. Buy artisan built bikes or they'll disappear.

Well, that's why I'm thinking of Seven. That's an artisan-built bike.
Any more artisan and you're talking about Richard Sachs or somebody like
that. And that would take a long time.

Serotta is made-to-measure, whatever that means. And DeRosa does
custom, but I'm told it's kind of a black hole going that route. Still,
they make great bikes, no? A storied framemaker.

But Seven is probably the best all-around custom maker from my
standpoint, in terms of personalization and good turn-around time.

Dave
Old September 24th 03, 08:50 PM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:22:56 GMT, ,
Dave Stallard wrote:

But Seven is probably the best all-around custom maker from my
standpoint, in terms of personalization and good turn-around time.

Dave

Yeah, whatever.

You've talked to this guy yet?
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...n/Marbikes.htm
--
zk
Old September 24th 03, 08:55 PM
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:59:31 +0000, Dave Stallard wrote:

I'm riding a Trek 1220 now. I don't like aluminium except when I'm
climbing a hill and appreciate the lightness; I much prefer the ride of
steel. I was thinking I would just go with Ti, but having ridden the
DeRosa, I'm not so sure. It's amazing how light high-end steel frames are
nowadays.

You are beginning to see the truth, that frame material is not as
important as it is made out to be. Great bikes can be made out of
aluminum, or titanium, or carbon, or steel. Steel is probably the hardest
to get light yet still be strong, but lots of builders have considerable
experience, and good steel bikes are comparable with any other material.
The same is true of any of these materials.

Go with what you like. Yeah, maybe they sound different, and maybe that
matters. In the price range you're considering, you can certainly get a
great machine. My own preference would be to be a bit conservative, and I
would never consider a $3500 frame --- I think you can get a fine bike
for much less.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

Old September 24th 03, 09:33 PM
Dave Stallard

Zoot Katz wrote:

Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:22:56 GMT, ,
Dave Stallard wrote:

But Seven is probably the best all-around custom maker from my
standpoint, in terms of personalization and good turn-around time.

Dave

Yeah, whatever.

You've talked to this guy yet?
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...n/Marbikes.htm

Looked at this initially, but I don't like the only shop near me that
has them. I'm sure it's a great bike. Yes, I suppose I could contact
them directly, but I'd be more comfortable working it through an LBS I'm
comfortable with. Plus, 7 and Calfee are local to me.

Dave
Old September 25th 03, 12:15 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:33:29 GMT, ,
Dave Stallard wrote:

Plus, 7 and Calfee are local to me.

There ya go.

The Marinoni bikes are however an outstanding value.
Less hype, more bike
--
zk
Old September 25th 03, 02:43 AM
Chris Neary

Serotta is made-to-measure, whatever that means.

When we bought my wife's Legend Ti, custom sizing was built into the price.

She loves her 43cm machine, and I guarantee it looks like no other bike on
the road.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh