Road Rules

Old December 6th 07, 02:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
verb[_2_]

Default Road Rules

i often see riders go past the white line at red lights, ahead of the cars -
i sometimes do myself,
so that i don't hold up the traffic. My question is - is it legal?

i was abused by some guy last night for going past the white line.

Old December 6th 07, 02:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

verb wrote:
i often see riders go past the white line at red lights, ahead of the cars -
i sometimes do myself,
so that i don't hold up the traffic. My question is - is it legal?

i was abused by some guy last night for going past the white line.

Not necessarily legal, but use some common sense. Some intersections
here in Melb now have extended bays in the line for cyclists. But the
vast majority of roads don't.
If you are forward of the line you are more vulnerable to anything
catastrophic occurring within the intersection, granted. And possibly a
pain for pedestrians if you're occupying part of their crossing.
But you are also AHEAD of all the other traffic when the lights go, and
clearly visible to all, so they don't have that pathetic old line, `Oh,
I just didn't see you'.
This is also critical when making right turns (assuming there's a right
turn lane) and with left turn slip lanes.
Was the turkey who abused you a fellow cyclist or a cager? If the
former, I understand but don't necessarily agree, if the latter, I have
very limited sympathy.
Cheers,
Ray
Old December 6th 07, 03:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

On Dec 6, 1:10 pm, "verb" wrote:
i often see riders go past the white line at red lights, ahead of the cars -
i sometimes do myself,
so that i don't hold up the traffic. My question is - is it legal?

i was abused by some guy last night for going past the white line.

It is illegal... but when was the last time you saw all of the cars at
an intersection obey that law?

He was probably just ****ed that he was stuck in traffic (again) and
you slid past him.
Old December 6th 07, 03:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
verb[_2_]

"Duncan" wrote in message
On Dec 6, 1:10 pm, "verb" wrote:
i often see riders go past the white line at red lights, ahead of the
cars -
i sometimes do myself,
so that i don't hold up the traffic. My question is - is it legal?

i was abused by some guy last night for going past the white line.

It is illegal... but when was the last time you saw all of the cars at
an intersection obey that law?

He was probably just ****ed that he was stuck in traffic (again) and
you slid past him.

it was a pedestrian crossing a pedestrian crossing.

the guy had already crossed the road and was on the footpath,
and lights were about to go green any second.
On the opposite side of the road, a cyclist went through the red light.
The pedestrian screamed at the cyclist as he rode off (he was on the
opposite side of the road compared to me and the pedestrian)

i was inching my way up to the white line - then the guy starts
screaming and pointing at me to stop - i said 'shutup you ****ing idiot'
and he said 'killer!'

i think i passed the white line (not sure) - i was distracted by the idiot,
so
i don't blame myself.

Old December 6th 07, 05:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

On Dec 6, 2:52 pm, "verb" wrote:
it was a pedestrian crossing a pedestrian crossing.

the guy had already crossed the road and was on the footpath,
and lights were about to go green any second.
On the opposite side of the road, a cyclist went through the red light.
The pedestrian screamed at the cyclist as he rode off (he was on the
opposite side of the road compared to me and the pedestrian)

i was inching my way up to the white line - then the guy starts
screaming and pointing at me to stop - i said 'shutup you ****ing idiot'
and he said 'killer!'

i think i passed the white line (not sure) - i was distracted by the idiot,
so
i don't blame myself.

Completely different situation to what I was imagining.

Sounds like the (slightly-insane sounding) pedestrian was yelling at
you in expectation of you going through the red... no wrong on your
part, imho.

'killer'! ..I like that... would have been almost as appropriate if
he yelled "baby killer"

Old December 6th 07, 10:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-12-06, ray (aka Bruce)
verb wrote:
i often see riders go past the white line at red lights, ahead of the cars -
i sometimes do myself,
so that i don't hold up the traffic. My question is - is it legal?

i was abused by some guy last night for going past the white line.

Not necessarily legal, but use some common sense. Some intersections
here in Melb now have extended bays in the line for cyclists. But the
vast majority of roads don't.

Those bays are usually occupied by a motorist who has crossed his line
illegally.

--
TimC
As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.
Old December 7th 07, 10:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
vintage

"Duncan" wrote in message
On Dec 6, 2:52 pm, "verb" wrote:
[...]

Us guys when blitzed by the pushbike police in the Melb CBD have been booked
for waiting at red lights but with only our front wheel over the line at
lights. Stationary and no harm to anyone but road rule policing gone mad.

Old December 7th 07, 11:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-12-07, Vintage (aka Bruce)
"Duncan" wrote in message
'killer'! ..I like that... would have been almost as appropriate if
he yelled "baby killer"

Us guys when blitzed by the pushbike police in the Melb CBD have been booked
for waiting at red lights but with only our front wheel over the line at
lights. Stationary and no harm to anyone but road rule policing gone mad.

And when you point out the car next to you, also over the line, the
police only get indignant.

--
TimC
As you know, Linus took the word the penguins kept saying over and

So, who's going to record this .au file:
"Hello, my name is Yvahf Gbeinyqf, and I pronounce yvahk, yvahk."
-- Anthony de Boer && Michel Buijsman in ASR
Old December 8th 07, 01:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
verb[_2_]

"Vintage" wrote in message

"Duncan" wrote in message
On Dec 6, 2:52 pm, "verb" wrote:
[...]

The cops should be targeting us evil cyclists;
the murderers, rapists and theives will have to wait.

i'll be obeying the rules now, for better or worse.

Old December 8th 07, 02:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Vintage wrote:

Us guys when blitzed by the pushbike police in the Melb CBD
have been booked for waiting at red lights but with only our
front wheel over the line at lights. Stationary and no harm
to anyone but road rule policing gone mad.

Waiting for a red light while over the stop line is perfectly
legal if you stopped for a yellow light, and you could stop
safely before the intersection, but could not safely before the
stop line.

Australian Road Rules, rule 57, part 1, paragraph c.

John

Rules of the Road Jorg Lueke General 9 June 3rd 07 03:29 PM
RULES OF THE ROAD [email protected] Recumbent Biking 2 February 10th 07 05:32 PM
Road rules vs. laws of physics sinus Australia 9 January 25th 06 06:47 AM
Road rules vs. laws of physics cfsmtb Australia 4 January 25th 06 06:45 AM
Road rules vs. laws of physics sinus Australia 1 January 24th 06 10:07 PM