Metal or Plastic Ferrules

Old February 8th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Ampleforth

Default Metal or Plastic Ferrules

Which do we think are best?

I'd have thought metal but i've recently had the cable housing puncture the
end of the ferrule, true the cable wasn't finished properly but still.

Old February 8th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

John Ampleforth wrote:
Which do we think are best?

I'd have thought metal but i've recently had the cable housing puncture the
end of the ferrule, true the cable wasn't finished properly but still.

Use gear ferrules ( squared-off inside) not brake ferrules( rounded inside)

Plastic ferrules suck. Remove them before they split or kink.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old February 8th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 00:55:01 GMT, "John Ampleforth"
may have said:

Which do we think are best?

There is no "we". I can speak only for myself in my preference for
brass.

I'd have thought metal but i've recently had the cable housing puncture the
end of the ferrule, true the cable wasn't finished properly but still.

Would plastic have fared better? I suspect not.

Old February 8th 07, 10:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Ampleforth

may have said:

Which do we think are best?

There is no "we". I can speak only for myself in my preference for
brass.

T'was a royal we.

I'd have thought metal but i've recently had the cable housing puncture

the
end of the ferrule, true the cable wasn't finished properly but still.

Would plastic have fared better? I suspect not.

I agree, but i ask 'cos a shimano plastic ferrule is 5 times the price of a
metal clarks example. i guess thats market branding for you then.

cheers

Old February 8th 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Ampleforth

"A Muzi" wrote in message
John Ampleforth wrote:
Which do we think are best?

I'd have thought metal but i've recently had the cable housing puncture

the
end of the ferrule, true the cable wasn't finished properly but still.

Use gear ferrules ( squared-off inside) not brake ferrules( rounded

inside)

gear it is. i assume they are suitable for compression housing? cheers

Old February 8th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

John Ampleforth wrote:
Which do we think are best?

I'd have thought metal but i've recently had the cable housing puncture the
end of the ferrule, true the cable wasn't finished properly but still.

cheapie pressed brass ferrules are not much better than plastic. if you
can, get hold of some campy metal ferrules - very high quality. they'll
cope with anything you throw at them.

and try to finish the cable ends if you can - it will make a difference.
that way you can use plastic again. and frankly, if you ride in the
rain, plastic ferrules from shimano with the little donut seals inside
are the ultimate. they keep the crud out and the bike stays in tune
/way/ longer. that's what i use, not metal.
Old February 8th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 7, 6:55 pm, "John Ampleforth" wrote:
Which do we think are best?

I'd have thought metal but i've recently had the cable housing puncture the
end of the ferrule, true the cable wasn't finished properly but still.

My kids let the front wheel on our "comfort" (ha ha, that seat is
murder) bike turn around as far as it would go. Result? split plastic
ferrules, which could have been bad news for control while I was
carrying my first-grader home on his trailer bike, with either brakes
or gears suddenly not working right.

I'm surprised we have both lawyer lips and plastic ferrules on bikes
sold in Lawyer Land (AKA "USA"). --D-y

Old February 8th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Feb 7, 5:55 pm, "John Ampleforth" wrote:
Which do we think are best?

I'd have thought metal but i've recently had the cable housing puncture the
end of the ferrule, true the cable wasn't finished properly but still.

Brass...

Old February 8th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Feb 8, 7:40 am, jim beam wrote:
John Ampleforth wrote:
Which do we think are best?

I'd have thought metal but i've recently had the cable housing puncture the
end of the ferrule, true the cable wasn't finished properly but still.

cheapie pressed brass ferrules are not much better than plastic. if you
can, get hold of some campy metal ferrules - very high quality. they'll
cope with anything you throw at them.

'Cept a 5mm housing won't fit into them. campag, like shimano, use
somethin other than 5mm for their der ferrules.