Cyclingnews follies.

Old November 24th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

Default Cyclingnews follies.

On 2008-11-23, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
[...]

If yer going to talk about my past claims, at least be accurate. I
have always said the ride is more comfy cuz there is no need to ride
at the pressure you must ride clinchers to prevent pinch flats...hence
lower pressure for tubies, more comfy.

I have never said that I can feel the differences when at the same
pressures.

What pressure do you ride at and what pressure is enough to not get
pinch flats?

I use 23mm clinchers at 100psi and have never had a pinch flat, and it
seems quite comfy, but I've never really tried lower pressures (except
on much wider tyres).

I am .1 offa ton and ride at about 95 psi. Conti Sprinters. We
recommend clincher riders to ride at least at 110psi, but still fix
lots of flats that are pinch flats.

Interesting. Maybe it's because I'm only 0.09 tons I don't get them. Or
I ride where there aren't so many bumps.

Dear Ben,

Another factor is raw speed.

If you usually hit bumps at 20 mph, you hit them with only about
2/3rds of the kinetic energy of 25 mph, and less than half the kinetic
energy of 30 mph.

1/2 m * v^2

20x20 = 400 bang!
25x25 = 625 Bang!
30x30 = 900 BANG!

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.
Old November 24th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Old November 24th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:55:14 -0600, Ben C wrote:

What pressure do you ride at and what pressure is enough to not get
pinch flats?

I use 23mm clinchers at 100psi and have never had a pinch flat, and it
seems quite comfy, but I've never really tried lower pressures (except
on much wider tyres).

I am .1 offa ton and ride at about 95 psi. Conti Sprinters. We
recommend clincher riders to ride at least at 110psi, but still fix
lots of flats that are pinch flats.

Interesting. Maybe it's because I'm only 0.09 tons I don't get them. Or
I ride where there aren't so many bumps.

I almost never get them in training or easy riding on paved roads and
never have more than 100psi for that. Though I user Mr. Tuffies
usually and am 155# (human weight, not including bike, clothes, shoes
etc).
Old November 25th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_3_]

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 01:22:15 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

JT, you went to USC then Stanford, right?

No.

Harvard?
--
Tom Sherman
Old November 25th 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 24, 6:29 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:

I am .1 offa ton and ride at about 95 psi. Conti Sprinters. We
recommend clincher riders to ride at least at 110psi, but still fix
lots of flats that are pinch flats.

You may recommend that but I don't think that's what they're doing.

Pinch flat at 110 psi? Bloody unlikely, without a rim or frame-
buckling impact.
Old November 25th 08, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

wrote:

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

I am .1 offa ton and ride at about 95 psi. Conti Sprinters. We
recommend clincher riders to ride at least at 110psi, but still fix
lots of flats that are pinch flats.

You may recommend that but I don't think that's what they're doing.

Pinch flat at 110 psi? Bloody unlikely, without a rim or frame-
buckling impact.

I've done it with a 700x38 tire at 100psi on a Rhyno Lite rim. The
rim was slightly flat-spotted, but not enough to cause a braking
anomaly. The impact was boosted by a roughly 42 pound battery pack
attached to the bike's rear rack.

Some of the potholes in the Port of Seattle should have USGS place
names.

Chalo
Old November 25th 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_3_]

Chalo Colina wrote:
wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

I am .1 offa ton and ride at about 95 psi. Conti Sprinters. We
recommend clincher riders to ride at least at 110psi, but still fix
lots of flats that are pinch flats.

You may recommend that but I don't think that's what they're doing.

Pinch flat at 110 psi? Bloody unlikely, without a rim or frame-
buckling impact.

I've done it with a 700x38 tire at 100psi on a Rhyno Lite rim. The
rim was slightly flat-spotted, but not enough to cause a braking
anomaly. The impact was boosted by a roughly 42 pound battery pack
attached to the bike's rear rack.

Some of the potholes in the Port of Seattle should have USGS place
names.

Does not a single bike and rider combination with a mass of ca. 200 kg
fall under the category of "bloody unlikely"?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.
Old November 25th 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 24, 11:07 pm, Chalo wrote:

... roughly 42 pound battery pack
attached to the bike's rear rack.

For the brightest Niterider headlamp ever created.

Louis Garneau follies [email protected] Techniques 12 October 21st 06 01:32 PM
Cyclingnews is the best!!! FOCN Racing 0 August 23rd 06 12:54 AM
test tube follies Rick O'Shea Racing 2 September 25th 04 09:23 PM
The Dripping Tap (aka The Oz Follies) [email protected] Racing 6 August 7th 04 06:18 PM