Sites or other reference for form on bike?

Old November 24th 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Sites or other reference for form on bike?

The wheel areo thread got me thinking on this. Being a BMXer
converted to MTB and just recently starting on road bikes, I'd bet my
form is terrible. I keep my knees in and tuck when in the drops and
looking for speed, and I make a point of using all the pedal rotation
(a carryover from MTB and my short clipped-in BMX stint) but outside
of that I’d bet there is a bunch I'm doing wrong. I'm wondering if I
could do some research on proper technique and shave a little time or
effort off of some of my longer rides. Anyone have any suggestions on
where to start? I have no interest in competing on the road bike, so
I don't really care enough to justify the expense of a trainer, but if
I could improve a bit on my own I'd be interested.
Old November 24th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:14:37 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

The wheel areo thread got me thinking on this. Being a BMXer
converted to MTB and just recently starting on road bikes, I'd bet my
form is terrible. I keep my knees in and tuck when in the drops and
looking for speed, and I make a point of using all the pedal rotation
(a carryover from MTB and my short clipped-in BMX stint) but outside
of that I’d bet there is a bunch I'm doing wrong. I'm wondering if I
could do some research on proper technique and shave a little time or
effort off of some of my longer rides. Anyone have any suggestions on
where to start? I have no interest in competing on the road bike, so
I don't really care enough to justify the expense of a trainer, but if
I could improve a bit on my own I'd be interested.

Dear Dan,

A random sampling . . .
http://www.bikesplit.com/bsa2.htm
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/karma.shtml
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...r/techctr.html
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/The_A...eight_131.html
http://www.humankinetics.com/product...xcerpt_id=2956

You'd probably get better results if you post asking over on
rec.bicycles.racing:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...ing/topics?lnk

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 24th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

*http://www.bikesplit.com/bsa2.htmhtt...xcerpt_id=2956

You'd probably get better results if you post asking over on
rec.bicycles.racing:
*http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...ing/topics?lnk

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Thanks Carl. There's some good info there, from what I can tell from
my uneducated standpoint.
Old November 25th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Nov 24, 11:14*am, " wrote:
The wheel areo thread got me thinking on this. *Being a BMXer
converted to MTB and just recently starting on road bikes, I'd bet my
form is terrible. *I keep my knees in and tuck when in the drops and
looking for speed, and I make a point of using all the pedal rotation
(a carryover from MTB and my short clipped-in BMX stint) but outside
of that I’d bet there is a bunch I'm doing wrong. *I'm wondering if I
could do some research on proper technique and shave a little time or
effort off of some of my longer rides. *Anyone have any suggestions on
where to start? *I have no interest in competing on the road bike, so
I don't really care enough to justify the expense of a trainer, but if
I could improve a bit on my own I'd be interested.

Get a bike fit and other than that, cycling is physiological, not
psychological. In other words, if your bike fits, just pedal it and
the rest will take care of itself. Shift before the hill, try to ride
in circles, try to stay at a cadence that is good for you.
But things like heal in, toe or heel down, stuff ike that is something
that happens with a good fit. You can't think of good technique and
expect to keep that thruouit your ride. "technique' in terms of
pedaling is personal and as I said, physiological.