stripped hub/nut thread?

Old January 18th 04, 10:17 PM
johnhimsworth

Default stripped hub/nut thread?

In trying to tighten a crank nut on my trials uni I've found that the
nut just spins where it is. My first thought was it's a stripped thread,
so I tried to remove the nut to have a look, but I can't get the nut off
the hub either. It spins, but it won't come off the thread, through
either turning or pulling it with pliers. Anyone got any idea what might
cause this, or any ideas for getting the nut off. A crank puller will go
on the crank, but I'm worried that if the crank isn't destroyed now then
using a puller will destroy either the crank or the hub.

any ideas?

John

--
johnhimsworth

Look! The Goodyear Blimp!
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

Old January 19th 04, 12:30 AM
U-Turn

It sounds as though the threads have stripped in such a way that there
is a thread on the outside holding the nut on. If this is the case your
hub is toast. However, there's no reason why you shouldn't ride the
thing until the crank really starts giving you problems. In fact, you
might just weld the nut on and just ride it forever. Later on you can
unbuild the wheel and save the rim.

That's what it sounds like to me, anyway.

--
U-Turn - There has got to be a better way...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

'Unatics Website' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

-- Dave Stockton

Old January 19th 04, 02:49 AM
peculiar

Try putting a flat blade screwdriver under the nut to exert upward
pressure on it. Then try unscrew it from the axle using a proper sized
socket spanner. It should work, i've done this before.
Good luck..

--
peculiar - muni newbie

-Simplicity is beauty-
peculiar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4290

Old January 19th 04, 11:01 AM
johnhimsworth

I tried a screwdriver, but there isn't much clearance around the nut to
get it in, and the nut is still quite a way down the threaded bit, so
it's pushing across more than up. I tried removal with a 14mm socket on
the end of my pedal spanner, and that makes it turn no problem, but it
doesn't go anywhere but around.
Ah well, this is the first time I looked at the nut, and I only bought
the uni a few weeks ago and haven't really ridden it properly since
then, so I'll phone my LBS and see what they say. 'course I'm back at
uni now, so my 'local' bike shop is 40 miles away...

Cheers for the ideas

John

Old January 19th 04, 02:32 PM
S_Wallis

One thing that has a chance of working is to use the puller to pull the
crank out until it is tight against the back of the nut, then remove the
puller and try to screw the nut off. Hopefully the crank will have
pushed it to where it can engage the threads. If not, you may be able
to pry aginst the back of the crank while turning the nut and get it
off.
Once off, IF there are some good threads left on the end of the hub, you
could apply red Loctite to everything, press (or hammer) the crank on,
put washers under a NEW nut to bring it up to the remaining threads, and
gently snug it up. Let the Loctite cure and ride it.

Good luck.
Scott

--
S_Wallis - Riding with a limp

"I am always doing that which I can not do,
in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old January 19th 04, 03:46 PM
johnhimsworth

had a quick go with that, but found the crank puller actually pushes on
the nut rather than the crank, so that won't work. If I can find
something small and strong enough to fit between the nut and the crank
puller I'll give it a go. TIll then I think I'll just ride it till it
falls off.
I've got a spare hub from a similar uni, but my wheelbuilding skills
aren't up to much, and I'd like to get the crank off as well coz they
seem quite good cranks. The notverylocal bike shop said I should bring
it in sometime, so next time I'm home for the weekend I'll take it with
me and see what they can do. Not sure if they believe me that it's not
my fault for overtightening it, but I can always argue.

Cheers anyway.

John

Old January 19th 04, 08:29 PM
mike.hinson

johnhimsworth wrote:
*...I've got a spare hub from a similar uni, but my wheelbuilding
skills aren't up to much, and I'd like to get the crank off as well
coz they seem quite good cranks.
*

John,
If you post the wheel & spare hub to me I would be happy to rebuild it
for you.
PM me if you want my address etc.

/\/\

--
mike.hinson - Unicyclist since Nov 2000

"...they all began to chant "You ride a baby bike!!" over and over and
over. Then their chant turned into "you have no hair!!" Which made
absolutely no sense at all. It was hilarious." -- Ender
mike.hinson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1652