Oh, inflation is only running around 2 percent...MY ASS!!!!

Old September 9th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phillip Mcracken

Default Oh, inflation is only running around 2 percent...MY ASS!!!!

I head into my local bike shop and go to buy a new tire, panaracer fire xc
and price on the shelf is $36, take it to the till and they want $44. I
looked at a lot of other things that i just recently bought and all have
gone up substantially. Nothing less than 10 percent. Where does anyone
ever get the 2 percent inflation from? I'd say on bike parts etc were
talking a minimum of 10 percent probably closer to 20.

Old September 9th 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
slide[_3_]

Phillip Mcracken wrote:
I head into my local bike shop and go to buy a new tire, panaracer fire
xc and price on the shelf is $36, take it to the till and they want
$44. I looked at a lot of other things that i just recently bought and
all have gone up substantially. Nothing less than 10 percent. Where
does anyone ever get the 2 percent inflation from? I'd say on bike
parts etc were talking a minimum of 10 percent probably closer to 20.

Technically not inflation but the weak dollar. Anything made overseas
will cost more unless the dollar regains strength. The Obamanation has
damaged the dollar - maybe fatally - by his pork spending to pay off
various interests.

The dollar is weakened to prop up a Treasury sale which is upcoming.
Obamation spends - we pay. It's just starting.
Old September 9th 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Phillip Mcracken wrote:
I head into my local bike shop and go to buy a new tire, panaracer fire
xc and price on the shelf is $36, take it to the till and they want
$44. I looked at a lot of other things that i just recently bought and
all have gone up substantially. Nothing less than 10 percent. Where
does anyone ever get the 2 percent inflation from? I'd say on bike
parts etc were talking a minimum of 10 percent probably closer to 20.

Yes, as an importer, we are seeing huge increases, in the
12% to 15% range this year for many Japanese products.
Customs delays have lengthened markedly and 'extra
inspection fees' have been added. Much Asian product is
unchanged. European goods are in some cases surprisingly
more expensive. Some domestic manufacture prices are
increasing at an amazing rate while others are unchanged.
It's erratic. For every product way up, there is another at
same price as last year. I can't think of any cost decrease
for any product in my store the last 12 months.

Overall, reported '1.2% deflation' month after month is
clearly either a series of errors or lies, at least as far
as the things I buy both personally and professionally. As a
consumer I see rising or stable, no decreases. Restaurant
prices have risen notably, espresso & Italian wine have not.

If you're selling crappy cars, or real estate, prices are
depressingly lower. YMMV, as I have only a myopic view,
"from the bike shop"

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 9th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

slide wrote:
Phillip Mcracken wrote:
I head into my local bike shop and go to buy a new tire, panaracer
fire xc and price on the shelf is $36, take it to the till and they
want $44. I looked at a lot of other things that i just recently
bought and all have gone up substantially. Nothing less than 10
percent. Where does anyone ever get the 2 percent inflation from? I'd
say on bike parts etc were talking a minimum of 10 percent
probably closer to 20.

Buy it online on sale or get something else.

Technically not inflation but the weak dollar. Anything made overseas
will cost more unless the dollar regains strength. The Obamanation has
damaged the dollar - maybe fatally - by his pork spending to pay off
various interests.

But Obama /promised/ to end pork barrel spending. What's it, about 9800
projects so far and counting? Of course, he also promised to be a "fiscal
conservative" and put all bills on the 'net for five full days before votes.

The dollar is weakened to prop up a Treasury sale which is upcoming.
Obamation spends - we pay. It's just starting.

Two trillion for government-run health care should fix up things nicely.

BS

Old September 9th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Phillip Mcracken" wrote:

I head into my local bike shop and go to buy a new tire, panaracer
fire xc and price on the shelf is $36, take it to the till and they
want $44. I looked at a lot of other things that i just recently
bought and all have gone up substantially. Nothing less than 10
percent. Where does anyone ever get the 2 percent inflation from?
I'd say on bike parts etc were talking a minimum of 10 percent
probably closer to 20.

Inflation is defined in different ways in different segments of the
economy, and there is probably no single number for inflation. Your
discussion would be referring to the Consumer Price Index.

http://www.bls.gov/cpi/

Bike prices are governed not only by inflation but by exchange rates.
Old September 9th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
slide wrote:

Phillip Mcracken wrote:
I head into my local bike shop and go to buy a new tire, panaracer
fire xc and price on the shelf is $36, take it to the till and they
want $44. I looked at a lot of other things that i just recently
bought and all have gone up substantially. Nothing less than 10
percent. Where does anyone ever get the 2 percent inflation from?
I'd say on bike parts etc were talking a minimum of 10 percent
probably closer to 20.

Technically not inflation but the weak dollar. Anything made overseas
will cost more unless the dollar regains strength. The Obamanation
has damaged the dollar - maybe fatally - by his pork spending to pay
off various interests.

The dollar is weakened to prop up a Treasury sale which is upcoming.
Obamation spends - we pay. It's just starting.

Out of curiosity, were you this vitriolic about George W. Bush's and the
Republican-controlled Congress's unbridled deficit spending? Or for
that matter George H. W. Bush deficit spending and Ronald Reagan's
deficit spending (which was actually restrained by the Democratcs)?

Maybe you need to review a few facts about federal deficit spending in
the past 50 years to see who's really the most irresponsible. Hint:
elephants.
Old September 9th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Phillip Mcracken:
Where does anyone
ever get the 2 percent inflation from?

Cooking the books is my guess.
--
PeteCresswell
Old September 10th 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Norman

On Sep 9, 4:40*pm, "Phillip Mcracken" wrote:
I head into my local bike shop and go to buy a new tire, panaracer fire xc
and price on the shelf is $36, take it to the till and they want $44. *I
looked at a lot of other things that i just recently bought and all have
gone up substantially. *Nothing less than 10 percent. *Where does anyone
ever get the 2 percent inflation from? *I'd say on bike parts etc were
talking a minimum of 10 percent probably closer to 20.

I do my own cooking most of the time,
and I tend to buy potatoes, eggs, flour,
(I don't make my own pasta though),
veggies, dry beans, rice in 20kg bags.

Everything is up 100-800% since 2004.

Bicycle prices, though? Tires seem to
be less now, saddles are more, tubes
have dropped a lot (used to have a hard
time finding a 700c presta tube for less
than $12, now $4-6 is common), chains
for non-state-of-the-art (ha) are similar
to what they were a decade ago.
Old September 10th 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
Norman wrote:

On Sep 9, 4:40*pm, "Phillip Mcracken" wrote:
I head into my local bike shop and go to buy a new tire, panaracer
fire xc and price on the shelf is $36, take it to the till and they
want $44. *I looked at a lot of other things that i just recently
bought and all have gone up substantially. *Nothing less than 10
percent. *Where does anyone ever get the 2 percent inflation from?
*I'd say on bike parts etc were talking a minimum of 10 percent
probably closer to 20.

I do my own cooking most of the time, and I tend to buy potatoes,
eggs, flour, (I don't make my own pasta though), veggies, dry beans,
rice in 20kg bags.

Everything is up 100-800% since 2004.

Not seeing that here in Minnesota. Thankfully. Given what your diet
may be, you might find it cost effective to join a CSA, if you don't
already do so.
Old September 10th 09, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,
Norman wrote:

On Sep 9, 4:40 pm, "Phillip Mcracken" wrote:
I head into my local bike shop and go to buy a new tire, panaracer
fire xc and price on the shelf is $36, take it to the till and they
want $44. I looked at a lot of other things that i just recently
bought and all have gone up substantially. Nothing less than 10
percent. Where does anyone ever get the 2 percent inflation from?
I'd say on bike parts etc were talking a minimum of 10 percent
probably closer to 20.

I do my own cooking most of the time, and I tend to buy potatoes,
eggs, flour, (I don't make my own pasta though), veggies, dry beans,
rice in 20kg bags.

Everything is up 100-800% since 2004.

Not seeing that here in Minnesota. Thankfully. Given what your diet
may be, you might find it cost effective to join a CSA, if you don't
already do so.

CSA?
Except for The Confederate Air Force what do they have left?