Recumbants world titles.

Old September 15th 12, 05:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

Default Recumbants world titles.

Just been reading this as a follow up to a magazine snippet.

And they only get a 4 mile acceleration zone, I'd be buggered by then
let alone breaking a record over the course.

http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/whps...dchallenge.htm

During the week of September 10th through September 15th 2012, cyclists
from around the world will gather on SR305 outside of Battle Mountain,
Nevada for the 13th consecutive year of racing on what is arguably the
straightest, flattest, and smoothest road surface in the world.

The 4,619ft (1,408m) altitude road allows riders an acceleration zone of
over 4 miles, enabling them to reach their maximum velocity before being
timed over a 200 meter distance. The section of the road used for this
event was newly refinished in 2009, with a smooth surface specially
prepared for human powered cycle racing by the Nevada Department of
Transportation.

Current WHPSC Records:
In 2009, Sam Whittingham broke his own record again for a human powered
speed of 82.819 MPH!
In 2010, Barbara Buatois broke her own record, with a women's human
powered speed of 75.69 MPH.
In 2011, Greg Westlake broke his own record with an arm powered world
speed record of 45.68 MPH.
Old September 15th 12, 08:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 15 Sep 2012 14:06:31 +1000
Rob wrote:
Just been reading this as a follow up to a magazine snippet.

And they only get a 4 mile acceleration zone, I'd be buggered by then
let alone breaking a record over the course.

They are using fairings but it is still impressive!

Gareth Hanks from Australia broke 70mph in his trike Completely
Overzealous and set a solo trike world record! Not content with
that he did it again on Friday with 71.79mph.

(Ben Goodall from trisled.com.au didn't do too badly either at just
over 70mph. I believe Completely Overzealous is a trisled built trike.)

THey are back out on Saturday....

Zebee
Old September 15th 12, 08:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Rob wrote:
Just been reading this as a follow up to a magazine snippet.

And they only get a 4 mile acceleration zone, I'd be buggered by then
let alone breaking a record over the course.

They are using fairings but it is still impressive!

Oh, and this is the sort of front ring you have to be able to use:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10232...92573756698258

Old September 16th 12, 03:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

Rob wrote:
Just been reading this as a follow up to a magazine snippet.

And they only get a 4 mile acceleration zone, I'd be buggered by then
let alone breaking a record over the course.

They are using fairings but it is still impressive!

Oh, and this is the sort of front ring you have to be able to use:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10232...92573756698258

Fixed gearing ? Can't imagine starting off pulling that gear.
Old September 16th 12, 03:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Rob wrote:
Just been reading this as a follow up to a magazine snippet.

And they only get a 4 mile acceleration zone, I'd be buggered by then
let alone breaking a record over the course.

They are using fairings but it is still impressive!

Oh, and this is the sort of front ring you have to be able to use:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10232...92573756698258

Fixed gearing ? Can't imagine starting off pulling that gear.

There will be gears, but just how they manage the gears you need to
start and the gears you need to pull 70mph I don't know... But it's
possible they have a couple of large rear cogs for starting then you
get to mash like crazy for a couple of miles.

Interesting tradeoffs for gears vs weight vs room in very tight
confines and long chain lengths.

I note that http://www.ihpva.org/rules.htm says if the record is
flying start then they can use pushers for the first 15m. The
Battle mountain records are flying start from what I can see. No idea
how fast a couple of pushers can get a fully faired bike up to in 15m
though.

Zebee