SYD: bicycles on the Old Road

Old March 6th 06, 01:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default SYD: bicycles on the Old Road

"dave" wrote:

But what I heard was "My future children
are so important that for their sake I will henceforth transport both
myself and them everywhere by Armoured Personal Carrier. (and stuff
everyone elses kids) For on their conception and future rest the fate of
the universe"

Wow! You certainly are putting a slant on my words, as I don't recall saying
anything like this:

Dave wrote on 1/03:

Peter Signorini wrote:

I drive a car because I saw a friend get killed riding his motorbike. My
personal view was that this was a more responsible decision for my family
and future children.

Wow. Future children hey. Now thats seriously arrogant. Sorry Peter but
it really is.

No. Nothing about driving around in an APC, not even a 4 ******s Delight. As
far as the family was concerned - that's my mum and dad - they would have
been stressed out about me taking up motorbiking. And 'future children' -
already stated I did plan to have kids and see them grow up. So a little
while later I did buy a Mini Moke. No 4WD, no 'stuff everyone else's kids',
no pretentious crap about my kids are 'the future of the universe'. I chose
to own a car, that's all, but mostly I rode my bike to work.

Getting sick of this game of having to justify my decisions from 27 years
ago. I'm off to get some sleep, ready to cycle to work tomorrow. Great
cycling weather we're having, eh? Bye.

--
Cheers
Peter

_@
~~ _-\,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old March 6th 06, 11:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle

--
Frank

Drop DACKS to reply
"dave" wrote in message
Peter Signorini wrote:
"dave" wrote:

Peter it was me that had a go at you earlier btw, not Kathy. 'Think of
the children" is a pretty pathetic appeal to silly emotionalism .
"Think of my children" adds a fair amount of ego to it. "Think of my
future children" well sheesh...... And I know you didnt say others
must "Think of... " Some saving grace there.

Fcuk the emotional appeal. I was simply saying that I intended to grow

old,
have some children and watch them grow up. Pretty simple really, and

taking
up motorbiking didn't seem to fit in with doing that, IMO at the time.

It does but maybe not for you. But what I heard was "My future children
are so important that for their sake I will henceforth transport both
myself and them everywhere by Armoured Personal Carrier. (and stuff
everyone elses kids) For on their conception and future rest the fate of
the universe"

SNIP a whole lot of other stuff...

Dave

Geez, Dave. Try reading out of things instead of reading into them. It seems
you are a master of agressive reading!

Anyway, what's so wrong about emotional appeals? It seems to me that not
many arguments have a 'rational' (what does that mean, anyway?) basis. Most
are emotive - even dry scientific arguments are sparked by curiosity - an
emotive kickstart. Humans are emotionally driven beasties who have the
ability to articulate their emotional state to give others some
understanding. We apply rational principles to articulating emotions.

Nothing wrong with being concerned about one's ability to procreate in the
future and to have concerns about the health and wellbeing of those as yet
unborn kids. It's a simple, primal emotional state that is as or more valid
than objective rationality.

How many of us here can honestly say we ride bikes ONLY for objectively
altuistic reasons? Not because it's fun, not because it feels good, no
pleasure derived from the practice at all. We ride for a variety of
reasons - some that give external benefits like lessening pollution, some
internal like feeling good from the exercise and some social like dropping
the cost of health services. Some take actions for reasons like concern for
future generations. How is that any different, apart from scale, to being
oncerned about one's future family?

Just ride yer bike ad recognise that emotions should not be dismissed but
regarded as valid starting points for practical reasoning schemata...

me

Old July 22nd 12, 08:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle

The only solution
http://366efbkjrvn03ddqjepf6l5y8t.hop.clickbank.net/
Old July 22nd 12, 09:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

wrote:
The only solution
http://366efbkjrvn03ddqjepf6l5y8t.hop.clickbank.net/

Go away and stop wasting our time
I doubt that anyone at all is going to read your rubbish once they find
they have been tricked into opening your page,People tend to get
extremely annoyed at such antics.