Tire making v3 : for the love of aramids and all that is un-holey

Old December 16th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Default Tire making v3 : for the love of aramids and all that is un-holey

I have noticed that some of the upper-end tires are no longer using
Kevlar as flat-resistance belts. Kevlar has the problem of degrading if
it is flexed much; in other uses newer fibers like Dyneema or Spectra
have taken its place. At least one upper-end bicycle tire is now made
with a Dyneema belt.

{-Continental uses an aramid fiber in their upper-end bicycle tires
named Vectran, but it appears that is proprietary and not available
otherwise. I've not seen word of it being used in anything else-}

I have looked all over for 100% Dyneema or Spectra fabric and can't find
anywhere to buy any. I have found places online that sell pack and
boating fabrics and they list Dyneema fabrics, but what they sell is not
100%. In every case so far it turns out to be only ripstop nylon that is
reinforced with regularly-spaced dyneema threads, and that won't do for
this purpose.

By chance, does anyone know where to get this stuff?
~
Old December 17th 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 16 Dec, 22:12, DougC wrote:
[...]

Spectra is used in protection vests IIRC. Police auction?
Old December 17th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

DougC wrote:
[...]

No, but see if these help:
http://www2.dupont.com/Kevlar/en_US/index.html

http://na1.northsails.com/North_Clot...to_fabric.html
http://neilprydesails.com/pdfs/Chall...ctraStripe.pdf

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/cshL_Spectra.htm
"Spectra is a particular type of gell-spun line made in the
USA. It was developed for military applications and brought
to the sportfishing scene by Izorline. PowerPro also was a
pioneer in bringing this product to fishing, but they came
in the back door. Initially PowerPro was used as a high end
kite product. Offshore manufacturers came into production
with a similar product, Dynema that was essentially similar
to the first generation Spectra product used here in the
USA. The Spectra that's sold now is not quite the same
product as it was several years ago, it's advanced considerably"

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/