No helmet required for me anymore

Old December 31st 10, 03:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default No helmet required for me anymore

On 2010-12-31, Geoff Lock (aka Bruce)
On 31/12/2010 10:48 AM, Tomasso wrote:
Isn't it time lycra was banned?

No way!!! I would put up with Lycra wearing cyclists only if for the
occassional times when I see soft curvaceous lines ....

Would that be a bianchi?

Hahahah
Old January 2nd 11, 08:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 31/12/2010 3:36 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
On 30/12/2010 6:48 PM, Theo Bekkers wrote:
"Geoff Lock"glock@home wrote

Hm, I have come off my bike several times and each time, my head was
nowhere near where I hit the ground

You left it at home perhaps? :-)

Heheeh Good one - I asked for it, I guess

except for that one time when I went over my handlebars and speared face
first into the pavement - lost some skin on my cheekbone, chipped my
tooth
and cut my bottom lip from the inside but NO impact to the cranium(?).
Maybe I should think of a face guard

Still, I would wear a helmet becos I know it needs to save me only once.
It also stops the cops from pulling me over

Do you think you should be forced to wear a helmet under penalty of a
large
fine?

Well, I, for one, should be forced to do things or I'd never do them

I rode motorbikes around without a helmet before they became compulsory,
Police on bikes never wore helmets either, they wore the leather caps.
Old January 2nd 11, 08:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 31/12/2010 10:48 AM, Tomasso wrote:

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message
On 30/12/2010 5:11 AM, RFC wrote:
Just as I thought.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/authors-ad...ml?from=age_ft

Hm, I have come off my bike several times and each time, my head was
nowhere near where I hit the ground except for that one time when I
went over my handlebars and speared face first into the pavement -
lost some skin on my cheekbone, chipped my tooth and cut my bottom lip
from the inside but NO impact to the cranium(?). Maybe I should think
of a face guard

Still, I would wear a helmet becos I know it needs to save me only
once. It also stops the cops from pulling me over

No one wears lycra or helmets in Europe unless they are competing in
a bike
race.

In Australia, some people wear Lycra even when they are not competing

Which reminds me...

...the protective value of lycra must be just about nil, compared to
(for example)
the old woollen bike shorts you used to be able to buy or shortened army
pants,
or even King Gee workshorts.

Isn't it time lycra was banned?

T.

Lycra is for those who want to show off and big note themselves.
Old January 2nd 11, 01:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 2/01/2011 6:22 PM, Rob wrote:
On 31/12/2010 3:36 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
On 30/12/2010 6:48 PM, Theo Bekkers wrote:
"Geoff Lock"glock@home wrote

I rode motorbikes around without a helmet before they became compulsory,
Police on bikes never wore helmets either, they wore the leather caps.

Bloody hell, now that's going back a while!!

Old January 2nd 11, 01:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 2/01/2011 6:24 PM, Rob wrote:
On 31/12/2010 10:48 AM, Tomasso wrote:

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message
On 30/12/2010 5:11 AM, RFC wrote:
Just as I thought.

Lycra is for those who want to show off and big note themselves.

Heheheh Mate of mine who drives a bus was telling me how he was
having a quick ciggie before he turned the bus around for the run back
from Coogee to Maroubra along South Coogee.

Anyway, there he was finishing up his ciggie near the promenade at
Coogee and he hears a crash, so he turns around and he sees this fellow
lying on the ground - fully decked out in Lycra, aero helmet, sunnies
(at 0630!!) and carbon fibre bike lying on the ground.

"Tiny", being a nice fellow, goes to help him and and said the first
thing he noticed was that this rider was tanked up - smelling like a
brewery Everything seemed ok with the rider so Tiny let it go at that.

On the way back from Maroubra, Tiny saw the same rider doing the climb
up Arden Street towards South Coogee, so maybe the Lycra helped in some way.

For those who do not know Arden Street, Coogee, it is a long road which
runs along the Coogee beach front and has a long steep descent at one
end and a long steep climb at the other. Very challenging. Anybody who
can do Arden Street from end to end has my respect - Lycra clad or not
Old January 5th 11, 09:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Ross

On Dec 31 2010, 10:48*am, "Tomasso" wrote:
"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in ...
On 30/12/2010 5:11 AM, RFC wrote:
Just as I thought.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/authors-ad...-on-bike-helme....

Hm, I have come off my bike several times and each time, my head was nowhere near where
I hit the ground except for that one time when I went over my handlebars and speared
face first into the pavement - lost some skin on my cheekbone, chipped my tooth and cut
my bottom lip from the inside but NO impact to the cranium(?). Maybe I should think of a
face guard

Still, I would wear a helmet becos I know it needs to save me only once.. It also stops
the cops from pulling me over

No one wears lycra or helmets in Europe unless they are competing in a bike
race.

In Australia, some people wear Lycra even when they are not competing

Which reminds me...

...the protective value of lycra must be just about nil, compared to (for example)
the old woollen bike shorts you used to be able to buy or shortened army pants,
or even King Gee workshorts.

Isn't it time lycra was banned?

T.

From personal experience I can tell you lycra is surprisingly robust
in the event of coming in close contact with bitumen. I'm sure, there
are more robust material/garments, but I can tell you that some
clothing such as denim jeans that looks and feels far more robust than
lycra only lasts about 3 secs when hitting the bitumen at 50km/h. Cant
comment on old woollen bike shorts, never worn them; King Gee work
shorts would be similar to jeans I imagine, and very uncomfortable to
ride a bike in.
Old January 5th 11, 03:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

"Ross" wrote
On Dec 31 2010, 10:48 am, "Tomasso" wrote:

Which reminds me...

...the protective value of lycra must be just about nil, compared to (for
example)
the old woollen bike shorts you used to be able to buy or shortened army
pants,
or even King Gee workshorts.

Isn't it time lycra was banned?

T.

From personal experience I can tell you lycra is surprisingly robust
in the event of coming in close contact with bitumen. I'm sure, there
are more robust material/garments, but I can tell you that some
clothing such as denim jeans that looks and feels far more robust than
lycra only lasts about 3 secs when hitting the bitumen at 50km/h. Cant
comment on old woollen bike shorts, never worn them; King Gee work
shorts would be similar to jeans I imagine, and very uncomfortable to
ride a bike in.

Lycra is smooth and has a slippery surface. Denim has a rough surface and
is, I would think, much more likely to grip the road surface than allow you
to slide along it. The extra deceleration you get whilst sliding in denim
will remove the denim from your body. It then becomes painful.

I may be wrong.

Theo

Old January 5th 11, 04:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 6/01/2011 1:38 AM, Theo Bekkers wrote:
wrote
On Dec 31 2010, 10:48 am, wrote:

Which reminds me...

...the protective value of lycra must be just about nil, compared to (for
example)
the old woollen bike shorts you used to be able to buy or shortened army
pants,
or even King Gee workshorts.

Isn't it time lycra was banned?

T.

From personal experience I can tell you lycra is surprisingly robust
in the event of coming in close contact with bitumen. I'm sure, there
are more robust material/garments, but I can tell you that some
clothing such as denim jeans that looks and feels far more robust than
lycra only lasts about 3 secs when hitting the bitumen at 50km/h. Cant
comment on old woollen bike shorts, never worn them; King Gee work
shorts would be similar to jeans I imagine, and very uncomfortable to
ride a bike in.

Lycra is smooth and has a slippery surface. Denim has a rough surface and
is, I would think, much more likely to grip the road surface than allow you
to slide along it. The extra deceleration you get whilst sliding in denim
will remove the denim from your body. It then becomes painful.

Thankfully, I have not slided much on the road in denim and the times I
have hit the ground, I have been fortunate to have glancing contact with
bitumen, denimwise of cos. But then, I ain't going at 50kph either -
more like 10 to 20 kph max.

Also, I am not very smart sometimes becos I might use my face to break
the fall (not a voluntary act here) or my reflex action is to use my
hands (yes, my thumb is slowly getting better after about 9 mths (?),
thank you)

At the lower speed crashes I have had, I dont recall ripping any holes
in my denim although one can sometimes see the threads being abraded
somewhat.

I may be wrong.

No, you are not wrong - it is still painful even if you don't rip holes
in denim
Old January 5th 11, 11:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble[_3_]

Theo Bekkers wrote:
Lycra is smooth and has a slippery surface. Denim has a rough surface and
is, I would think, much more likely to grip the road surface than allow you
to slide along it. The extra deceleration you get whilst sliding in denim
will remove the denim from your body. It then becomes painful.

That might work on relatively smooth hot mix type bitumen (usually found
on urban streets). It definitely won't work on the coarse open-road type
of bitumen that I have a habit of landing on - even leathers only last for
a metre or two on that.

BTH

Posted at www.usenet.com.au
Old January 6th 11, 12:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 30/12/2010 5:11 AM, RFC wrote:
[...]

From personal experience I can tell you lycra is surprisingly robust
in the event of coming in close contact with bitumen. I'm sure, there
are more robust material/garments, but I can tell you that some
clothing such as denim jeans that looks and feels far more robust than
lycra only lasts about 3 secs when hitting the bitumen at 50km/h.

Cant
comment on old woollen bike shorts, never worn them; King Gee work
shorts would be similar to jeans I imagine, and very uncomfortable to
ride a bike in.

Not if you had a Brooks, well worn in, leather seat.

Is Nothing Sacred Anymore?! Uncle Dave Racing 5 April 29th 10 05:49 PM
don't need his guide mut anymore [email protected] Australia 0 September 24th 08 03:36 AM
Not Listening Anymore CyclePro Racing 0 May 22nd 05 01:00 PM
Uh-Oh, we're not at Sea Otter anymore... Alec Sander Racing 23 April 25th 05 02:52 AM
"Helmet Required" sign??? Zilla Mountain Biking 46 March 21st 05 12:27 PM