My Buddy has weird ideas regarding bike repairs

Old March 11th 11, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default My Buddy has weird ideas regarding bike repairs

Hi there.

My buddy's current ride is an old beat up department store 10 or 12
speed with stem shifters and false security/suicide brake levers..

I think I have talked my buddy out of drilling his the aluminium drop
handlebars I was going to give him. This guy needs a slightly bigger
frame than what his Hi-Tensile steel ultra-cheap department store bike
has. I offered him my old Miele Uno frame that is made of Tange Cro-
moly tubing -- #5 in I remember correctly. I also offered him an
aluminium seat-post, stem, handlebars and Dia-Compe 500 brake calipers
and a pair of aero brake levers plus a front and rear derailleur to
shift a 42 - 52 crankset. I also offered him a sealed bottom bracket.
All he wants is the frame minus the front forks. He doesn't like
chrome forks.

He recently laced a new old rim to his rear wheel because he broke the
rim of the wheel by riding it with at least three broken spokes on the
cluster side and all the other spokes were so loose that you could
move them at least 3/4 of an inch when you squeezed two spokes
together. In other words thee was no tension whatsoever on any of the
spokes on that wheel.

The other day went for a short ride. He had to stop and adjust the
cones on his rear wheel because they were so lose that rim was hitting
the chainstays. This is probably due to the fact that he doesn't
believe he needs a cone wrench to hold the cone whilst he tightens the
locknut against it. He just snugs the cone against the bearings and
then tightens the locknut with needle nose vicegrips. He also believes
that he can *PROPERLY* adjust a cup and cone bottom bracket be
tightening the lockring with channellock pliers and then, if the cup
is too tight, loosening the adjustable cup with a drift punch and
hammer.

He also believes that he can use a rear derailleur with a built in
hanger (super-cheap Shimano) on this frame that has an integral
derailleur hanger on it. If he did that would he be able to get that
old derailleur to shift 6 gears of 6 gear cluster?

This guy doesn't take very good care of his stuff. Now I'm very
hesitant to give him this frame and the decent components that I have
for it.

So, can a rear derailleur with an integral hanger be used on a frame
that has a built on hanger on it?

Thanks and cheers from Peter
Old March 11th 11, 12:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 3/10/2011 11:13 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Get him one of these:
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HMV31642.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old March 11th 11, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Mar 11, 5:13*am, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Probably. Bending or filing the stop to get a bit more range is also
possible.

This guy doesn't take very good care of his stuff. *Now I'm very
hesitant to give him this frame and the decent components that I have
for it.

If he gets to be a distance cyclist because he has a frame that fits,
his maintenance should improve, but don't be surprised to see the
frame with dented chainstays etc.

So, can a rear derailleur with an integral hanger be used on a frame
that has a built on hanger on it?

Yes.

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Old March 11th 11, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Would I suggest it? No.
Do I see them on garbage-picked bikes? Yep.

Slide the adapter plate under the right axle nut and adjust
as needed. It's a lousy setup and changes when you remove
the wheel. A new derailleur is between $10 and $15. Used
free derailleurs are also relatively common.

If you want some advice, stop helping. Just nod and concur
and get on with your life as 'helping' will be frustrating
and inconclusive. But he isn't my friend, make your own
judgment call there.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 11th 11, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

visit the cemetery
Old March 11th 11, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Mar 11, 4:00*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice everyone. After the latest adventures with this
guy today I am no longer volunteering advice or parts. Andrew is
right, trying to help this guy is a lesson in futility and
frustration. I do hope that his set ways do not cause him to become
another cycling statistic.

Thanks again and cheers from Peter
Old March 12th 11, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 3/11/2011 3:22 PM, kolldata aka AVAGADRO IV/V wrote:
visit the cemetery

For pizza:
http://www.nestleusa.com/pubourbrands/BrandDetails.aspx?lbid=46035BAD-C668-4C1D-91BE-56A6BD2BAE37.

Old March 14th 11, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 11, 5:10*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Mar 11, 4:00*pm, AMuzi wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Why not get him a bike repair book for his birthday.

Bike repairs after RTA. JT UK 4 April 6th 09 06:02 PM
Bike repairs after RTA. [email protected] UK 13 April 5th 09 09:50 PM
Weird non-hernia testicle issue -- any ideas? David_Stone Unicycling 16 March 15th 07 11:35 PM
Weird hip strain: hurts when I get out of saddle...ideas? [email protected] Techniques 5 July 14th 05 12:58 AM
Bike Buddy Just zis Guy, you know? UK 4 June 15th 04 11:39 PM