rain

Old April 17th 12, 11:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default rain

Ages ago I bought one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2011-Cycl...-/300511747403
for use on the Brom in the rain. The idea being that it should give
enough protection on the short journeys I do on the Brom while being
easy to remove when off the bike. The way rain pants aren't....

Even though there has been a lot of plumetting precipitation since I
bought it, I haven't been riding the Brom when it's been raining.
Combination of good timing and general wimpishness I guess. When it's
your shopping trolley you can choose to shop when the weather's good!

I got to try it yesterday, and I can report it works well. I got a
little damp around the feet but only a little. I was worried about
hand signals, and they are a bit tricky as you have to slip your arm
out through a slit in the cape at elbow height so you only get an
elbow's worth. But the drivers acted as if they saw them which is all
that matters.

This version has a hood with clear plastic panels so you can do head
checks, I found if I had the hood under the helmet but pushed back a
bit I didn't need to use the clear plastic, I could see well enough
but not get water down my neck.

The idea is that you have the cape over the bars (held there by an
elastic strap so you can get your arm out through the slit without the
cape coming loose), you get a better idea from
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Women-Men...-/251031935277

Mine isn't as large as that, but it gives reasonable coverage on the
Brompton.

yes, a rain cape is very old-fart. Plus it works best on sit up and
beg bikes, but the Brompton is that for me given my height. You do
get a bit of a sail effect too, so if speed is your thing it won't
work.

Bods in the UK who use them say that in traffic and heavyish rain you
need some kind of protector on the lower legs or you get wet from car
splash.

Because you get airflow and it isn't all around you like a jacket is,
I was surprised at how cool it was, not sweaty or muggy at all.

Given the rain outside and the 20km commute, pity it won't work on the
'bent. I will have to do what I usually do on the commute: get wet.
Must pack a spare set of riding clothing for the ride home.

If my commute was short enough that I wore my work clothes while
riding, then this would be a very useful bit of kit. Maybe topped off
by a set of bushie's sock/boot protectors to keep the lower legs
dry.

I will be using it to get to the station on the days I multi-mode to
work, that's for sure.

Zebee
Old April 18th 12, 11:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Owen

On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:09:22 AM UTC+10, wrote:
[...]

I have a Chinese copy, bought there for $1. Green plastic cape. Trouble is it is a bit like a sail, so if you have wind with the rain, you got troubles. But I like it, better than wet gear IMHO

Owen

Old April 18th 12, 10:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 18 Apr 2012 03:42:47 -0700 (PDT)
Owen wrote:
On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:09:22 AM UTC+10, wrote:
Ages ago I bought one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2011-Cycl...-/300511747403
for use on the Brom in the rain. The idea being that it should give
enough protection on the short journeys I do on the Brom while being
easy to remove when off the bike. The way rain pants aren't....

I have a Chinese copy, bought there for $1. Green plastic cape. Trouble is it is a bit like a sail, so if you have wind with the rain, you got troubles. But I like it, better than wet gear IMHO

Does yours have the slits in the side to get your arms out for
signals?

None of the cheaper ones I saw did, and I figured that was a
must-have.

I did notice the wind a bit, but luckily it wasn't a headwind...

Zebee
Old April 18th 12, 10:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:09:22 +0000 (UTC)
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Given the rain outside and the 20km commute, pity it won't work on the
'bent. I will have to do what I usually do on the commute: get wet.
Must pack a spare set of riding clothing for the ride home.

Ahhh.. enlightened employers! There is now a drying cabinet in the
bike cage. All my kit went in there after my shower and when it was
time to ride home it was all nicely dry.

Yes, it got soaked through again in about 10 min but it's nicer
putting on dry gear than wet.

The ride home was about as wet as the ride there, that is "very".
Once you are wet you can't get any wetter so how much extra water
there is doesn't really matter except for puddle size. The Shrimpton
Ck path had the creek just washing over one of the crossings, the
Cooks River path had some major water hazards.

(I bet the Tempe underpass required a snorkel!)

Met one bike all day... And he blasted past me on the way home,
saying he liked my light setup as he barrelled past. I'm not slow, I
just saw no need to hurry. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

World is full of fair weather bikers... powered and unpowered.
The motorcycle parking I pass on my way to the bicycle cage at work had maybe
1/3 or less of the motorcycles usually there, and the bicycle cage was
even emptier. A good day will have 30 or so bicycles, yesterday there
were 6.

I feel so virtuous!

Zebee
Old April 19th 12, 04:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Phil H[_2_]

On Apr 19, 7:05*am, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Does yours have the slits in the side to get your arms out for
signals?

Surely a wheelie-bin liner and a razor blade would be a cheaper
option. Lighter, too!

-- Phil
Old April 19th 12, 07:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_8_]

Phil H wrote:
On Apr 19, 7:05 am, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Does yours have the slits in the side to get your arms out for
signals?

Surely a wheelie-bin liner and a razor blade would be a cheaper
option. Lighter, too!

But if you fell asleep, you might get a free ride in a truck...
Old April 19th 12, 07:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Phil H[_2_]

On Apr 19, 4:14*pm, "Tomasso" wrote:

But if you fell asleep, you might get a free ride in a truck...

If that happened in the Sydney city council area, and they took me
back to the council depot in Ultimo, it would be most of the way home!

-- Phil
Old April 19th 12, 08:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 18 Apr 2012 20:18:23 -0700 (PDT)
Phil H wrote:
On Apr 19, 7:05Â*am, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Does yours have the slits in the side to get your arms out for
signals?

Surely a wheelie-bin liner and a razor blade would be a cheaper
option. Lighter, too!

Not big enough. YOu need 2 of them at least and some duct tape.

Zebee
Old April 19th 12, 02:22 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

On 2012-04-18, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
World is full of fair weather bikers... powered and unpowered.
The motorcycle parking I pass on my way to the bicycle cage at work had maybe
1/3 or less of the motorcycles usually there, and the bicycle cage was
even emptier. A good day will have 30 or so bicycles, yesterday there
were 6.

I'm a fair weather cyclist and an unfair weather motorcyclist.

I'm about 35 mins from work in the morning and 45 mins back, and don't
want to get the chain mucky (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).
So ride the moto when the forecast is gloomy. Since I don't want to
get taken out on the expensive bike by a mum doing the school run, I
ride the cheaper one. This is kinda silly, because I really should
use the bike with ABS brakes. And because there's more traffic on the
road on yucky days, it takes me far longer to get in than on the
pushy, but because I'm not exerting myself, I don't have to worry
about not wearing rain protection, then freezing (that's my main
reason, apart from not having to clean the chain on the moto. Start
off frozen, get sweaty, and finish frozen again. Yuck).

--
TimC
All theoretical chemistry is really physics; and all theoretical
Old April 19th 12, 08:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:22:02 +1000
TimC wrote:

I'm a fair weather cyclist and an unfair weather motorcyclist.

I ride the pushie for exercise so if it's a pushbike day I ride the
'bent if it's a motorcycle day I ride the motorcycle.

(Or at the moment as the Japanese electrics have gone south I ride
the Brom to the station and take the train to work)

I'm about 35 mins from work in the morning and 45 mins back, and don't
want to get the chain mucky (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

But you want to get the much more expensive motorcycle chain mucky?

(Unless you have Seen The Light and ride a shafty of course)

So ride the moto when the forecast is gloomy. Since I don't want to
get taken out on the expensive bike by a mum doing the school run, I
ride the cheaper one. This is kinda silly, because I really should
use the bike with ABS brakes. And because there's more traffic on the

Well yeah... in that they are more likely to be needed because of the
mum on the school run.

When I finally get the scooter back working I'll use that, not because
it's cheaper but because the automatic manages Sydney rush hour
traffic better than the high geared Guzzi.

They get the same mileage. Heavy high geared 4 stroke 1200 vs hot 2
stroke 180. Canna break the laws of physics or something.

road on yucky days, it takes me far longer to get in than on the
pushy, but because I'm not exerting myself, I don't have to worry
about not wearing rain protection, then freezing (that's my main
reason, apart from not having to clean the chain on the moto. Start
off frozen, get sweaty, and finish frozen again. Yuck).

An advantage of Sydney for sure. "Frozen" is not really a issue here.
"Hot and sweaty just bloody standing about" is yes, but not frozen.

If it was an issue I'd be taking the motorcycle too!

As it isn't, the riding in the rain is if not enjoyable, not
miserable. I remember a couple of years ago riding along the Cooks
River path in a hailstorm. It was exhilarating! Wouldn't want to do
it on a regular basis though, hell on the shins.

Zebee

Rain ? Simply Fred Racing 12 April 9th 12 06:40 PM
Rain! Marc[_2_] UK 2 June 26th 09 10:01 AM
Looks like Rain Maggie General 16 May 1st 05 07:26 AM
Rain.. Dave W Mountain Biking 0 March 27th 05 10:26 PM
Seeing in the rain Michael General 5 July 10th 03 12:56 PM