Bright to Mt Beauty

Old November 28th 05, 05:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Bright to Mt Beauty

Hi all,

I was thinking of doing the Wangaratta to Bright railway trail, then
riding to Mt Beauty, and then north towards Albury to catch the rail
trail that runs into town there.

My question is - has anyone here ridden from Bright to Mt Beauty? I have
a topographic map and it sure looks hilly! I'm not above getting off and
walking, but it would be great to hear from someone who has experienced
this first hand.

Thanks in advance

Phil Watts

Old November 28th 05, 06:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Philip Watts wrote:
Hi all,

I was thinking of doing the Wangaratta to Bright railway trail, then
riding to Mt Beauty, and then north towards Albury to catch the rail
trail that runs into town there.

My question is - has anyone here ridden from Bright to Mt Beauty? I have
a topographic map and it sure looks hilly! I'm not above getting off and
walking, but it would be great to hear from someone who has experienced
this first hand.

Towonga gap. It gets ridden -lots-

See :

http://www.cycle2max.com/
and go looking for it.

Old November 28th 05, 11:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle

The climb on the Bright side aint too bad, the climb on the Mt Beauty
side is a bee-artch!!!

The Tawonga Gap on that cycle2max.com site is the monster on the east
side, but luckily your favoured route will take you DOWN that.
The west (bright side) is approx 12km long but just steady, whereas the
east-nastee side does the same climb in half the distance

It's a regular part of the Alpine CLassic, but you have already done
100=km by the tie you get back to Tawonga Gap, (that' the only time i
have experienced it. maybe i wouldnt hat it so if encountered at the
start of a ride )

PS Bright Bakery is compulsory

--
flyingdutch

Old November 28th 05, 11:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle

I did this climb 2 weeks ago. Dutchie's right, the Bright-Mt Beauty
side isn't that hard (I avg 16kmh taking it pretty easy). There's 5 or
6 km of rolling to start, then it heads up for the last 6km at an
average of 6%. There are sections of over 10%, but they're few and far
between. The return leg is much harder (esp after Falls!)...not as many
10%+ sections, but longer @ 7.7km and just a higher average gradient (a
bit under 7%).

ps. the view from the top is stunning over the Kiewa Valley and toward
Falls Creek.

--
Walrus

Old November 29th 05, 12:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Walrus Wrote:
I did this climb 2 weeks ago.

you in training for the classic?

--
flyingdutch

Old November 29th 05, 12:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch Wrote:
you in training for the classic?Yep. I did the 130km route 2 weeks ago, that's a great ride! I feel a

lot stronger than last year cause I've been commuting to work on a 15kg
beast. Are you in it?

--
Walrus

Old November 29th 05, 12:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Walrus Wrote:
Yep. I did the 130km route 2 weeks ago, that's a great ride! I feel a
lot stronger than last year cause I've been commuting to work on a 15kg
beast. Are you in it?

nope. gonna be in Amsterdam scaling the giddy heights over the canals

then returning for a possible date with the shoulder surgeon again.
still tring to deny i need that done

--
flyingdutch

Old December 7th 05, 07:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle

In article ,
flyingdutch wrote:

The climb on the Bright side aint too bad, the climb on the Mt Beauty
side is a bee-artch!!!

The Tawonga Gap on that cycle2max.com site is the monster on the east
side, but luckily your favoured route will take you DOWN that.
The west (bright side) is approx 12km long but just steady, whereas the
east-nastee side does the same climb in half the distance

It's a regular part of the Alpine CLassic, but you have already done
100=km by the tie you get back to Tawonga Gap, (that' the only time i
have experienced it. maybe i wouldnt hat it so if encountered at the
start of a ride )

PS Bright Bakery is compulsory

Thanks for the advice guys!

Phil
Old December 7th 05, 11:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Walrus Wrote:
Yep. I did the 130km route 2 weeks ago, that's a great ride! I feel a
lot stronger than last year cause I've been commuting to work on a 15kg
beast. Are you in it?

I have to get up there and do some riding as well, maybe bright to
falls and back then buffalo the next day. The triple ring will come in
handy especially when I get it into the good gear. I would rather climb
than descend especially after reading about that guy who missed a corner
doing 70 while coming down Tawonga gap a few years ago on the classic,
broken arm and leg etc.

--
Dancier