Bearing cap torque

Old August 4th 04, 06:27 PM
underdog

Default Bearing cap torque

I've got a new Torker DX24 that has the cap type of wheel bearing (not
lollypop). On the bearing cap there is a little label that says
'maximum torque, 45 in/lbs.' I used a torque wrench to take it up to 35
in/lbs. and the wheel was pretty well bound up at this setting. It was
very difficult to turn and had a very 'notchy' feel to it. I started to
back off on the torque and the wheel still had a lot of drag on it until
I got down to 12 in/lbs. where it turned pretty freely but I could still
feel a little catch in the bearing at one spot through a full
revolution. I didn't get a completely smooth and free turning wheel
intil I got it down to 8 in/lbs. With the wheel off of the unicycle the
bearings feel very smooth. I checked the bearing recess in the frame
and in the cap and they don't have any noticable irregularities in them.
8 in/lbs seems awfully low to me. I'm not up to a riding level yet
where I'm doing any drops or anything but I'm still a bit worried that a
bearing cap could fall off. Has anybody run into this? Am I living
dangerously riding with the torque so low?

--
underdog - level 1 rider

toast is god's way of saying 'eat more butter'
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

Old August 4th 04, 06:39 PM
rob

Torque settings aside, the main cap bearing holder should be snug....
and not screwed on so hard you bind and then bend your bearings!

If the bearing holder is snug at 8 lbs so be it! Use locktite on the
bolts and you will not have to worry about it falling off!

--
rob - Number of times over = Proficiency
rob's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6495

Old August 4th 04, 06:45 PM
Ken Cline

You only need enough torque to keep the bearings from moving in the
holders. If that's 8 ft-lbs, it's OK by me. Use blue thread lock
(Loctite or Permatex) or nylon insert nuts to prevent loosening.

Ken
Old August 4th 04, 09:44 PM
Krashin'Kenny

Are you sure your torque wrench measures is in inch/pounds? Most common
torque wrenches use ft/pounds. If you torque it to 35 ft/pounds, it
would most likely cause the bearing problem that you mention.
I use a 10 mm socket on a 1/4" nut driver handle to tighten my main
caps. With this setup, it is almost impossible to damage the bearings
(unless you are the Hulk)

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old August 4th 04, 11:17 PM
underdog

Krashin'Kenny wrote:
*Are you sure your torque wrench measures is in inch/pounds? *

Yeah, I'm sure. I own a couple of ft/lb wrenches and had to borrow the
in/lb wrench from a friend. From the feedback I've gotten here I'm
gonna get them as tight as I can and still have the wheel turn smoothly
and use a little locktite to make sure nothing falls apart. Thanks
everyone for the suggestions.

Old August 5th 04, 03:47 AM
Krashin'Kenny

underdog wrote:
*

Yeah, I'm sure. I own a couple of ft/lb wrenches and had to borrow
the in/lb wrench from a friend. From the feedback I've gotten here
I'm gonna get them as tight as I can and still have the wheel turn
smoothly and use a little locktite to make sure nothing falls apart.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. *

Sorry if I insulted your intelligence .

Old August 5th 04, 06:53 PM
underdog

Krashin'Kenny wrote:
*

Sorry if I insulted your intelligence . *

You didn't. I always appreciate the advice I get on this forum.

Old August 5th 04, 07:42 PM
forrestunifreak

I wish I would have read this about 3 months ago.I got a torker DX and
later took it to a bike shop to see if it was tight enough they didnt
have a tork wrench but the guy looked at it and said i had it tight
enough(he was kinda yung and inexpeirenced).1 week later both bearings
broke! Cost $40 to get new ones . Another bike shop guy(who I
trust)said just barly tigten it up untill it stops wiggling inside the
bearing caps.

--
forrestunifreak - Unicycle Rights Activist

Good things come to those who wait.

Great things come to those who get off their butt and go for it!!