Rage Rage against the crappy weather

Old January 16th 05, 01:10 PM
Maggie

Default Rage Rage against the crappy weather

Looking out my window, I think I may be able to ride my bike today
after church. Then tonight snow is expected..tomorrow the snow will
continue...according to the weather on the internet...the snow will be
here most of the week.

Looks like the gym is in again this week. I have discovered one thing
about riding a bicycle as recreation and exercise....it is not a year
'round sport in Jersey so ya better have alternate exercise plans.

I need a winter sport. My son snowboards. Maybe I should take up a
winter sport. But I can't think of one. What the heck do you do in
Jersey in the winter for fun outdoors? I know this is a bycycle NG, but
some of you out here in on the east coast must have other
hobbies....what the heck do you do for exercise and recreation when you
can't ride? Excluding the gym, because that's work. Yesterday I
watched the Jets looooose :-( and I cleaned my house. That was not fun.

Maggie
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Old January 16th 05, 02:34 PM
Bob Burns

Maggie wrote:
[...]

Walk, run, cross country ski if we ever get any snow!

Go to a gym and do treadmill or other gadget if you can't get out.

How about them Steelers!!!

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA

(NOT a good address.)

Old January 16th 05, 03:07 PM
Brian Huntley

Do not go gentle into falling snow
Cyclists should spin and rave at cold and ice
Rage, Rage, against the absence of sun's glow.

Though randoneers ride longer at one go
Because their bikes have lights, all mounted twice
Do not go gentle into falling snow.

Mass riders, the last wave by, as car horns blow
Their frail deeds might have mocked the cagers' vice
Rage, Rage again the absence of sun's glow.

Messengers who whirl and sing like birds below
And note, too late, the birds' south-bound advice
Do not go gentle into falling snow.

Commuting bikes, who mock the traffic's' flow
Brake lights could blaze like meteors, but no dice
Rage, Rage, against he absence of sun's glow.

And you, on RecBikesMisc, wanting to go
Curse, Bless me now with weather somewhat nice
Do not go gentle into falling snow
Rage, Rage, against the absence of sun's glow.
- Dylan Mazzoleni

Old January 16th 05, 05:19 PM
pam_in_sc

Maggie wrote:

I need a winter sport. My son snowboards. Maybe I should take up a
winter sport. But I can't think of one. What the heck do you do in
Jersey in the winter for fun outdoors? I know this is a bycycle NG, but
some of you out here in on the east coast must have other
hobbies....what the heck do you do for exercise and recreation when you
can't ride? Excluding the gym, because that's work. Yesterday I
watched the Jets looooose :-( and I cleaned my house. That was not fun.

Maggie

I've set my goal as a sprint triathlon in May (750 meter swim, 11 mile
bike, 5 k run). That gives me other things to do when conditions aren't
good for bicycling. Running I can do in the dark, and to some extent in
the rain. Swimming in the pool I can do no matter how bad the weather.
I'm laughing at myself for how my body and mind get confused trying to
keep track of three different sports.

Pam

Old January 16th 05, 05:38 PM
Stephen Harding

Maggie wrote:

I need a winter sport. My son snowboards. Maybe I should take up a
winter sport. But I can't think of one. What the heck do you do in
Jersey in the winter for fun outdoors? I know this is a bycycle NG, but
some of you out here in on the east coast must have other
hobbies....what the heck do you do for exercise and recreation when you
can't ride? Excluding the gym, because that's work. Yesterday I
watched the Jets looooose :-( and I cleaned my house. That was not fun.

I have a turbo supercharged Irish Setter that gets me out at
least twice per day for walks. I think I'm good for at least
3 miles a day and more like 5 or more each day because of the
beast.

Cross country skiing is very good as well. You can ski on the
bike paths as well as the abundant trails and fields and such
in this area (western MA).

But this danged post snowfall rain, freezing rain and ice has
pretty much killed off any XC skiing for now. A couple inches
of dry fluffy stuff predicted for this afternoon and tonight
so perhaps that will improve the conditions.

At least it's cold again around here, so the ice bike with
studded tires will be back out again. I don't do cold rain
and the cars splashed the heck out of me last week on the
daily commutes. Miserable!

SMH

Old January 16th 05, 05:45 PM
Ravi

Maggie wrote:

Looking out my window, I think I may be able to ride my bike today
after church. Then tonight snow is expected..tomorrow the snow will
continue...according to the weather on the internet...the snow will be
here most of the week.

Looks like the gym is in again this week. I have discovered one thing
about riding a bicycle as recreation and exercise....it is not a year
'round sport in Jersey so ya better have alternate exercise plans.

physically, you can try and do some interval training during short
periods of 'good' weather - by interval training you will get the
workout in a short period of time - also improves your spinning and
overall speed. At other times, gym is your best friend - you have a
variety of training. Alternate sports will be good as well.

mentally, read ride reports on rec.bicycles.rides or elsewhere - some of
those are so nice to read - it almost gives you the feeling of riding
that route.

my 2 cents,
+ravi
Old January 16th 05, 07:47 PM
Maggie

Brian Huntley wrote:
[...]

EXCELLENT.....oh creative one on Bicycles.misc....rage on, rage on.
That was outstanding. Kudo's to you Dylan Mazzoleni whomever you be!!!

And I am dumb to tell a weather's wind
How time has ticked a heaven round the stars.
"The Real Dylan...."

I rode my bike after church today....twas a good ride too....darn
cold...but I rode. I think I shall get me ars to the gym....Rage
on...do not go gentle into any good night.......Rage on.

Maggie

Old January 16th 05, 08:06 PM
Maggie

Bob Burns wrote:
Maggie wrote:
[...]

Is that a retorical question? I have many people on suicide watch today
because the Jets lost last night. WOW, Right down to the wire. What a
game. We almost had it. The Jets played a great game....even if I am a
Giants fan...I have to admit they played a great game. Now it's time
to get the football pools going. Who will win the super bowl. More
importantly..who will win the office football pool. And will Lance
participlate in the next tour de france....or whatever the heck it is.
I am so up on cycling....I know one rider. Lance Armstrong. And that is
because he made the cover of sports illustrated because he rode into
history, winning a record sixth Tour de France and cementing his place
as one of the greatest athletes of all time. If he did not do that, I
would never have know who the guys was.

.. But I am learning. I've come a long way from my first convoluted
post. Don't ya think? I am still riding, still posting and still
exercising at the gym. I amaze myself. Now all I have to do is come
through on that 25 mile MS charity ride in may. I wonder if I can do
the ride on a stationary bike. I'm getting great at that. ;-)
Maggie

Old January 16th 05, 08:25 PM
Beaker

On 16 Jan 2005 05:10:38 -0800, Maggie quoth:

I need a winter sport. My son snowboards. Maybe I should take up a
winter sport. But I can't think of one.

Snowshoeing - best winter sport period. Much better than skiing, IMO.

bkr

Old January 16th 05, 08:28 PM
Beaker

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:38:42 -0500, Stephen Harding quoth:

Cross country skiing is very good as well. You can ski on the
bike paths as well as the abundant trails and fields and such
in this area (western MA).

Ah, Western Mass...when will I ever get to return?

bkr