Refitting a Sportswork rack to carry a bent

Old September 10th 04, 09:05 PM
Pat

Default Refitting a Sportswork rack to carry a bent

I have a regular Sportswork rack with trays for road bikes/mountain bikes.
I looked into buying a tray for the new LWB recumbent, but they wanted $275
for it. So, I went to Home Depot and made my own modifications. First, I
got a short piece of angle iron. I drilled some holes through it and
through the angle iron section of the Sportsworks tray. I connected the two
with bolts and wing nuts. On the other end, I merely reversed the loop
section of the tray and extended it as far as possible. Voila! One LWB
recumbent tray.

Then, when I am not carrying the 'bent around, I simply remove the piece of
angle iron and put it in the garage.

Pat in TX

Old September 11th 04, 12:37 AM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:05:06 -0500, "Pat" wrote:

I have a regular Sportswork rack with trays for road bikes/mountain bikes.
I looked into buying a tray for the new LWB recumbent, but they wanted $275
for it. So, I went to Home Depot and made my own modifications. First, I
got a short piece of angle iron. I drilled some holes through it and
through the angle iron section of the Sportsworks tray. I connected the two
with bolts and wing nuts. On the other end, I merely reversed the loop
section of the tray and extended it as far as possible. Voila! One LWB
recumbent tray.

Then, when I am not carrying the 'bent around, I simply remove the piece of
angle iron and put it in the garage.

Pat in TX

What a great idea! I've been looking at getting a LWB bent as a change
of pace from my regular SWB ride, but was reluctant to spring for it
because of the difficulty in transporting a longer bike. I was having
trouble justifying the cost of the bike plus adding a recumbent
adapter to my Sportworks rack. Thanks for the tip.

Chuck
Old September 11th 04, 01:18 PM
Pat

What a great idea! I've been looking at getting a LWB bent as a change
of pace from my regular SWB ride, but was reluctant to spring for it
because of the difficulty in transporting a longer bike. I was having
trouble justifying the cost of the bike plus adding a recumbent
adapter to my Sportworks rack. Thanks for the tip.

Chuck

I forgot one important part: go out and buy a fork mount block, the kind
that people buy to put their bikes in a pickup truck when they remove the
front wheel. Then get a triangle-shaped piece of wood and fix the fork
mount on to the wood (easy enough to make). This triangle of wood fits into
the angle iron so that you take the front wheel off of the bent and fix it
to the fork mount. By doing this, you shorten the overall length of the bent
quite a bit.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...e.cfm?SKU=3702

Pat in TX

what rack do you use on your 'bent ? Douglas Cole Recumbent Biking 4 June 29th 04 03:33 AM
Rack questions har Techniques 14 June 25th 04 09:18 PM
rear hitch bike rack curt General 12 March 18th 04 09:55 PM
Pannier bag on top of rack Michael General 1 October 20th 03 01:40 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM