Cyclist Road Rage

Old May 2nd 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Cyclist Road Rage

I am not a cyclist so would like to know if I did the right thing. I
drove home at 5:30 which is rush hour on a 45MPH speed limit road. I
briefly honked the horn at a cyclist because it was not possible to
pass him while staying in the same lane ( this is a 4-lane road ). Why
would somoene chose to hold up traffic and risk getting himself hit
just so he can bike home after work? In this age of cell-phone yapping
drivers, I could easily see him getting hit.

So he pulls up to me at the light and was quite mad. I tried to
explain it was very easy to hit him and he should be more careful for
his own safety, but he would have nothing of it? Are these people just
suicidal or it perfectly normal to hold up traffic at rush hour and
just wait for a convenient time to pass?

Old May 2nd 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rich Clark

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am not a cyclist so would like to know if I did the right thing. I
drove home at 5:30 which is rush hour on a 45MPH speed limit road. I
briefly honked the horn at a cyclist because it was not possible to
pass him while staying in the same lane ( this is a 4-lane road ). Why
would somoene chose to hold up traffic and risk getting himself hit
just so he can bike home after work? In this age of cell-phone yapping
drivers, I could easily see him getting hit.

So he pulls up to me at the light and was quite mad. I tried to
explain it was very easy to hit him and he should be more careful for
his own safety, but he would have nothing of it? Are these people just
suicidal or it perfectly normal to hold up traffic at rush hour and
just wait for a convenient time to pass?

You need to understand that cyclists _are_ traffic, and that whatever risk
exists is being created by you. The law gives the cyclist the right to the
lane, and *requires* you to pass safely and legally, or not at all.

If you're In that much of a hurry, a little self-examination might be in
order.

Old May 2nd 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Grolch

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am not a cyclist so would like to know if I did the right thing. I
drove home at 5:30 which is rush hour on a 45MPH speed limit road. I
briefly honked the horn at a cyclist because it was not possible to
pass him while staying in the same lane ( this is a 4-lane road ). Why
would somoene chose to hold up traffic and risk getting himself hit
just so he can bike home after work? In this age of cell-phone yapping
drivers, I could easily see him getting hit.

So he pulls up to me at the light and was quite mad. I tried to
explain it was very easy to hit him and he should be more careful for
his own safety, but he would have nothing of it? Are these people just
suicidal or it perfectly normal to hold up traffic at rush hour and
just wait for a convenient time to pass?

In MOST jurisdictions the cyclist had EVERY RIGHT to "take" a lane when a
reasonable legal alternate pathway is not available. Taking the lane, and
thereby forcing drivers to change lanes to go around is in most cases far
safer than leaving it up to the discretion of the driver to judge whether
there is sufficient room for 2 lanes of traffic AND a cyclist. Get used to
it, and be patient.

Old May 3rd 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

wrote in message
ups.com...

I drove home at 5:30 which is rush hour on a 45MPH speed limit road. I
briefly honked the horn at a cyclist because it was not possible to
pass him while staying in the same lane ( this is a 4-lane road ).

My question to you, dear Veg All, is, what was your purpose in honking at
the cyclist?

Why
would somoene chose to hold up traffic and risk getting himself hit
just so he can bike home after work?

I suggest that you ride a bike to and from work every day for the next
month, and find out why.

I tried to
explain it was very easy to hit him

I believe this cyclist is aware that stupid and impatient drivers are
dangerous, yes.

it perfectly normal to hold up traffic at rush hour and
just wait for a convenient time to pass?

Different vehicles hold up traffic at rush hour, depending on circumstances.
When I'm heading north out of downtown, motor vehicles form a critical mass,
preventing me from bicycling at the speeds to which I am accustomed. If all
the motorists were instead on bicycles, then we all would be able to move at
15 - 20 mph. Instead we are forced to creep and crawl a few feet at a time.
Is it perfectly normal for them to hold up non-motorized traffic at rush
hour? Yes. Do I have a temper tantrum, ring my little bell, and then
condescendingly lecture them at the error of their ways? I admit it
occasionally crosses my mind, but I don't think that they would appreciate
it.

So, Veg All, what happens when other vehicles hold you up? You do some deep
breathing exercises. You do what is safe. You getting home is not more
important than the lives of other people. You do not have a greater right to
the road than other people, no matter if you are in a car or a on bicycle.
That you have chosen to drive gives you no more greater rights to anything
than if you choose to bicycle, and vice versa. We're all getting home from
work. I enjoy riding. You might enjoy driving (probably because you don't
know any better, but it isn't right for me to assume -- maybe you're
disabled or something).

I am not a cyclist so would like to know if I did the right thing.

You did not. But thank you for asking. Since it looks like you need a little
remedial review:

WHEN TO HONK AT A BICYCLIST

1. When someone is facing imminent death, and you think that honking might
somehow avert a fatal accident.

2. When you're my good friend, and you want to catch my attention so we can
wave at each other. (Hi Kathy!)

3. When you want me and probably everyone in the immediate vicinity to know
that you are a complete, brain-dead, total, doofus.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old May 3rd 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 2, 6:53 pm, "Pat" wrote:

I would like to ask why you honked your horn at him. What did you expect him
to do upon hearing the blaring of the horn?

I didnt blare the horn, just very briefly used it.

Please explain why you think a cyclist does not belong on the road.

because they can get hit very easily and get injured far more easily
then any other mode of transportation on the road.

Old May 3rd 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 2, 5:54 pm, Michael Warner wrote:

Which helped you how? Did another lane magically appear so that he
could get out of your way?

there was shoulder he could have ridden on.

Old May 3rd 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 2, 6:25 pm, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

I suggest that you ride a bike to and from work every day for the next
month, and find out why.

So I can get killed in 30 days?

Old May 3rd 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 2, 5:53 pm, "Rich Clark" wrote:
wrote in message

t wait for a convenient time to pass?

You need to understand that cyclists _are_ traffic, and that whatever risk
exists is being created by you. The law gives the cyclist the right to the
lane, and *requires* you to pass safely and legally, or not at all.

well i guess not at all is the solution in this case.

If you're In that much of a hurry, a little self-examination might be in
order.

i was in no hurry.

Old May 3rd 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

oups.com...
wrote:

I suggest that you ride a bike to and from work every day for the next
month, and find out why.

So I can get killed in 30 days?

Yeah, if you are that unskilled.
That would be a proper lesson for U.