I don't understand - what is this for?

Old August 5th 07, 10:38 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Steve Baker[_2_]

Default I don't understand - what is this for?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Michael Press:
Now _that_ is cool, saying it in a publication.

I have done that exercise. Learned a lot, improved my cycling.

I have too - with one of my Rohloff setups.

But for some reason, when I converted a bike to "real" SS, it was
different.

Gotta be psychological, right? But it really felt "better" in
the sense of simplicity/lightness.

snip ending

If you took off the Rohloff, then you probably halved the weight of the
bike, Pete. ;-)
Nothing psychological there....

Old August 5th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Steve Baker[_2_]

Michael Press wrote:
In article rSnti.348$mw4.286@trndny09,
Steve Baker wrote:

Why don't you ask a Trek dealer if it is selling? They'll be able to
tell much better than this raggedy bunch can.

From a plea for sanity and tolerance
to mud-slinging in a single bound.

I was referring to the rec.bike.* crowd - I know AM-B are FAR less
well-dressed than "raggedy" could possibly imply. ;-)
Old August 5th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Ozark Bicycle

On Aug 5, 2:29 pm, "GeeDubb" wrote:
"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Aug 5, 9:59 am, JD wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:24 am, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
Simple experiment: If you have a manual transmission car, try driving
around all day in third, including hills and 'standing starts'. All
day, or as long as ya can stand it.

Put the banjo down and go ride your bike.

JD

Anything you say, asshole.

Nice come back. You must have put a lot of thought into it.

Please do excuse my reluctance to cast pearls before swine.

Old August 5th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Fred Clydesdale

In article . com,
JD wrote:

On Aug 4, 3:33 pm, Fred Clydesdale wrote:
personally, i've never gotten the whole single/fixie thing, and
a singlespeed mtb seems beyond useless.

We can't all be closed-minded dumbasses.

i pass at least 5 fixies
a week on the various hills of my weekday ride, never had things
happen the other way around. and i'm a CLYDESDALE, for heaven's
sake. i'm carrying 3 pounds more bike and 20 pounds more of me
up those hills.

C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
loaded with punks and poseurs.

JD 225lbs and can still kick your ass

yah, okay. no more red bull for you, d00d.

i'm sure that for some people the simplicity is an attraction.
me, not so much. maybe you're in that group. i'm also sure that
for some people riding a fixie is just a way of saying "i'm
OUT there". maybe you're in that group. here's a test question:
how do you feel about The Man trying to legislate the requirement
for at least one brake on your surly, or soma, or whatever it
is?

and yes, my weekday ride is loaded with punks and poseurs. it's
washington dc, and pretty much every activity around here can
be loaded with punks and poseurs.
Old August 6th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Michael Warner[_2_]

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 17:45:31 -0700, JD wrote:

C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
loaded with punks and poseurs.

I ride with a few people who have both geared and SS road bikes, and
may come out on either. They say that the spinning and grinding required
on a SS is good training, and they may well be right, but overall they're
much slower on the SS, and get tired more quickly.

Unless you're riding with people weaker than yourself, it's inconsiderate
to slow down the group - IMHO they should save the SS for solo rides.
Old August 6th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Fred Clydesdale wrote:
In article ,
"Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" ""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com" wrote:

Is the bigger front wheel to better roll over obstacles, or is it just a
demented fashion statement? Conversely, does the smaller rear wheel
provide any real advantage?

What is the deal with single-speed anyway?

Who exactly is the target market for this bike?

personally, i've never gotten the whole single/fixie thing, and
a singlespeed mtb seems beyond useless. i pass at least 5 fixies
a week on the various hills of my weekday ride, never had things
happen the other way around. and i'm a CLYDESDALE, for heaven's
sake. i'm carrying 3 pounds more bike and 20 pounds more of me
up those hills.

Interesting, I'm out of shape but I pass more people going up hills on
my fixed than on my geared bike. Either you're just plain old fitter
than those guys or you're full of ****.

Going downhill is another matter.

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky
Old August 6th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
On Aug 4, 7:45 pm, JD wrote:
On Aug 4, 3:33 pm, Fred Clydesdale wrote:

personally, i've never gotten the whole single/fixie thing, and
a singlespeed mtb seems beyond useless.

We can't all be closed-minded dumbasses.

i pass at least 5 fixies
a week on the various hills of my weekday ride, never had things
happen the other way around. and i'm a CLYDESDALE, for heaven's
sake. i'm carrying 3 pounds more bike and 20 pounds more of me
up those hills.

C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
loaded with punks and poseurs.

JD 225lbs and can still kick your ass

No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....

JD's a freak no matter what bike he's on.

Greg

Old August 6th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Chalo wrote:
JD wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
JD wrote:
C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
loaded with punks and poseurs.
JD 225lbs and can still kick your ass
No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....

If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.

If you think you wouldn't go a lot faster with some damn gears, you're
kidding yourself.

Having ridden my multi-geared bikes with the freak on his MTB SS and on
his road fixeds I'd say I doubt that he could go any faster (other than
downhill on the fixed).

Greg

Old August 6th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Fred Clydesdale

In article ,
"G.T." wrote:

Interesting, I'm out of shape but I pass more people going up hills on
my fixed than on my geared bike. Either you're just plain old fitter
than those guys or you're full of ****.

a little from column A, a little from column B...

i think the problem most people with geared bikes have is that they
tend to think "hill: first gear". that doesn't make it HURT any less,
it just makes it hurt LONGER.

me? i like the suffering. but i'd rather suffer with my 39-21 than
a 45-15 or whatever. anything higher and i'm just grinding.

Going downhill is another matter.

i guess it either helps your spin or breaks your legs off at high
speeds.
Old August 6th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_79_]

G.T. aka Greg Thomas who? wrote:
Chalo wrote:
JD wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
JD wrote:
C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
loaded with punks and poseurs.
JD 225lbs and can still kick your ass
No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....
If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.

If you think you wouldn't go a lot faster with some damn gears, you're
kidding yourself.

Having ridden my multi-geared bikes with the freak on his MTB SS and on
his road fixeds I'd say I doubt that he could go any faster (other than
downhill on the fixed).

Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or single-speed
bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)